February Llano/Mason Gravel Tour...Saturday 2/8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If anyone going has the following three things to bring, please let me know:

1: equipment to tune a HAM radio
2: knowledge how to use said equipment
3: willingness to use knowledge and equipment to
get my radio up and going.

I ran all the wires when I did an interior restore and the radio has power, I just haven’t tuned it or used it yet. I am coming from Houston Friday night and staying in llano so I could swing by your house Friday night on my way or on a break Saturday is fine too, whatever works. Thanks in advance.

My antenna tuner is packed away and I don't know exactly where it is (sorry!), or I would bring it and help you. I will have at least a 2 Meter radio running in my truck. Planning on coming for the half day at least.

Bummer. I have to work. Would be nice to test out the Ham radio as I have never got to use it in a group.

We should be able to go... should know by mid-week

Damn. Was just envisioning taking the wife and kids on this before I realzed I've got a prior obligation. Ah well, next time.

@meatloaf @1911 @tstockto @fblainen11 @rscoleman @Aussiecruiser82 @JoeTex @SF1911A1 @ATXnative

Okay, here are the meetup details....if you plan on rolling with me from Liberty Hill, let me know. I'll be rolling out from there at 7:30am sharp.

For those who want to meet in Llano, we are meeting by 8:45 at the Stripes on the SOUTH side of town. The 2nd screenshot below has the location circled in red (it's on 71). Address is 200 TX-71, Llano, TX 78643. We will roll out no later than 9:00am.

For those that want to meet in Liberty Hill and caravan with me to Llano, we will meet at the Circle K/Valero (on 29, just West of 183). The first screenshot below is the Liberty Hill location. The address is 12270 TX-29, Liberty Hill, TX 78642. We will depart there no later than 7:30am sharp.

Everyone should plan on at least "topping off" their tanks at the Stripes in Llano. If you do the full route with me, you're looking at 175 miles of gravel with very limited access to fuel. If you have a CB, bring it. If you have HAM, bring it too. I'll be running both and will run my B Channel on the GMRS frequencies. Feel free to bring snacks and any drinks you want. We will stop in Mason at Coopers BBQ for lunch. Cell coverage is very limited for most of the route.

Here is my contact info:
Gary Eanes
(512) 800-1421

Liberty Hill.JPG

Llano.JPG

These pictures look awesome.

I can't make this one, but do you think a 2wd Tundra could make the drive? Not sure how treacherous the water crossings get...

These pictures look awesome.

I can't make this one, but do you think a 2wd Tundra could make the drive? Not sure how treacherous the water crossings get...

2WD Tundra can handle these roads just fine. The big water crossing at the James River is a rock bottom crossing, so plenty of traction. There are multiple lines across from shallow (below hub depth) to moderately deep (frame rails depth). The only time 4WD would be necessary is if you drive these roads immediately after a HUGE rainstorm. There are a couple of areas that can get pretty muddy. All in all, that's probably 6-7 days each year is all.

I am preparing for the job interview of a lifetime! I won't be able to make it, but hopefully next year I will be at ever group ride between the Ms River and the Continental divide!

If you have HAM, bring it too.

Thanks Gary; see you guys in Llano.

I don't have any repeaters programmed in that far south, so I'll be on the national 2 meter simplex frequency of 146.520 MHz, unless you have a different one you'd rather use for the trip. My cb mic is packed away somewhere, I do have a little hand-held GMRS radio that I will bring too.

Lee

Thank you for organizing Gary, planning on joining the group on Saturday. I just need to figure out which location works best, headed out of central Austin.

Thanks Gary; see you guys in Llano.

I don't have any repeaters programmed in that far south, so I'll be on the national 2 meter simplex frequency of 146.520 MHz, unless you have a different one you'd rather use for the trip. My cb mic is packed away somewhere, I do have a little hand-held GMRS radio that I will bring too.

Lee

146.520 is fine with me. I'll have my Baofeng setup with GMRS on my B channel. I'll have my spare Midland handheld 75-822 CB as well if anyone needs it.

Thank you for organizing Gary, planning on joining the group on Saturday. I just need to figure out which location works best, headed out of central Austin.

A few of the guys that went last year were from Central Austin (Zilker area) and it was more efficient for them to head out 71 the entire way to the Stripes in Llano vs coming all the way up north on 183 to 29. I live in Round Rock, so taking 29 is the more efficient route for me.

Thank you, @geanes, for organizing. I had a great time. I would love to see the video when you have a chance to upload.

Looking forwad to next time!

Anybody gone out to Hidden Falls with their LC? Seems like an good candidate for a close by off road touring ride.

Anybody gone out to Hidden Falls with their LC? Seems like an good candidate for a close by off road touring ride.

Gone a couple times. It's perfectly fine. Really more of a "wheeling" type of place. Not terribly technical. Has some nice camping areas.

It's a good place with options for everyone. Just be careful, there are some scary spots.

1581352681129.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom