Favorite Trails - Idea for a sticky thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody have any leads on trails in West Virginia near the Gaulley River/Summersville area? Some buddies and I are looking to go rafting in the Fall on the Gualley River and was thinking of trying to do some trail rides as well.

Several of the above trails are very good.

Crozet requires a $25 annual membership and then a minimal day fee ($5-$10) if I remember correctly. It is pretty rocky, but there are go around paths as well.

Shoe Creek is great. We usually go twice a year. Lots of good trails, various levels. There are pay camp sites with amenities, but also there are first come/first serve camp sites within the Natl Forest for free.

Thanks in advance.

New to LC world and looking forward for some off road experience.

This is great thread. Would like to become a member of any off road club of va/md/DC area if some can point me to it.

I want to go off-roading but thinking the best would be to hang with some experienced members to learn first.

Also, has anyone heard of The Cove near Winchester VA? I've heard it has some good trails from novice to expert categories.

Welcome. The Fall Crawl is sometimes held at the Cove. The other primary wheeling place is Rausch Creek in PA.

They need to replace Shoe Creek (now gated) with Big Levels.

Big Levels is conveniently close to Devils Backbone which now has a campground on-site:beer:

DB Camping.jpg

Last edited:
I’m gonna admit that I haven’t read this thread yet. Or done any research. Time is of the essence.

I’d like to take my dad on a trail near NoVA. He just got a bad cancer diagnosis. I’ll be up for an extended time starting this weekend in my built 94. Not looking for extreme stuff. He’s in Gainesville but I know we’ll probably have to travel to a trail.

If you don’t want to publicize something, feel free to PM me. I should also be at Kilroys next week and maybe the Tech Day.

FYI. I might be looking for some hands to throw some paint on the 80 to duplicate what he used to do to his jeeps in the Army. It’ll have to be mixed and sprayed but quality is low on the list. Haven’t looked for a close rattle can color yet. Don’t worry, my 80 isn’t long for this world if I have my say!

There's Peter's Mill (dirt road) by Edinburgh and several trails off Hwy 33 west of Harrisonburg.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom