Fatal rollover on the Rubicon? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heard someone rolled over and was ejected and died from getting crushed. Anyone know more about this? Supposedly happened this past weekend.

We were up at Wentworth and heard the helicopters in the middle of Saturday night. I too, heard that there was a fatality. There is a report on Pirate, but not a lot of actual information.

Just saw a small discussion about it in the fotr fb page, no details pending family talking first, but it is confirmed, and happened in little sluice. Sad. Wear your seatbelts

Very sad and unfortunate. This can be a dangerous hobby, and the danger is part of what draws people to it, like skydiving, but you have to do everything you can to reduce the risk.

It will be interesting to see what we learn from the facts.

Rubicon at night is fun and done safely by hundreds of rigs each year. Drinking and wheeling don't mix!

Yep, I've done it myself and I agree completely. I belonged to a club in Sacramento in the 80's that had an annual night run on the Rubicon at Loon Lake.

Anyway, that was my point. All three conditions added together were a bad combination.

I belonged to a club in Sacramento in the 80's that had an annual night run on the Rubicon at Loon Lake.

Not to hijack the thread but
Looney Nite Poker Run put on by the Sacramento Valley Cruisers.
Great event hit it a few times lots of fun.

Rubicon at night is fun and done safely by hundreds of rigs each year. Drinking and wheeling don't mix!

At 2am and no indication it was part of an organized night run. Nothing wrong with night runs, but along with alcohol and without a seatbelt, solo excursions in dark and difficult terrain are an accident waiting to happen.

Dui and vehicular manslaughter are the charges I've seen. I myself lost a friend back in 2003 due to a fatal rollover accident in the granite bowl. Alcohol was in his system at the time of delivery, but his loss of life was caused by no doors and being partially ejected, but held in by his seatbelt and he was crushed. This accident was a big eye opener to the no doors style that many of us used to (many still do) do regularly, and how it can be a horrible reminder of the repercussions of such a simple act that is typically forgotten when out on the trail. Yes, doors off is a great way to improve visibility and catch a nice breeze through the cab, but it's very unsafe, even on the trail. There have been quite a few late night talks on whether he would have been fully ejected and not fallen victim to the situation if his seatbelt we're not on, but only him, and the powers at be know the real answer. There was a nice cross erected on the spot it happened, but has since been removed by the forest service and as far as I know, returned to the family. That accident changed a large amount of us and the way we wheel, and how we do things. Now, many if us have built half doors that keep the torso more confined by better, aftermarket belts/harnesses. Be careful, all of you, when taking off your doors. If you do, buckle up and lean outward to look under your rig when it's stopped and being held by the lap portion of your belt, and use your imagination as to what happened. Please use this as a reminder to stay safe, and even educate those who might need a little bit of logic thrown their way regarding safety, and what can (and has) happened. Safe travels guys.
P

Dui and vehicular manslaughter are the charges I've seen. I myself lost a friend back in 2003 due to a fatal rollover accident in the granite bowl. Alcohol was in his system at the time of delivery, but his loss of life was caused by no doors and being partially ejected, but held in by his seatbelt and he was crushed. This accident was a big eye opener to the no doors style that many of us used to (many still do) do regularly, and how it can be a horrible reminder of the repercussions of such a simple act that is typically forgotten when out on the trail. Yes, doors off is a great way to improve visibility and catch a nice breeze through the cab, but it's very unsafe, even on the trail. There have been quite a few late night talks on whether he would have been fully ejected and not fallen victim to the situation if his seatbelt we're not on, but only him, and the powers at be know the real answer. There was a nice cross erected on the spot it happened, but has since been removed by the forest service and as far as I know, returned to the family. That accident changed a large amount of us and the way we wheel, and how we do things. Now, many if us have built half doors that keep the torso more confined by better, aftermarket belts/harnesses. Be careful, all of you, when taking off your doors. If you do, buckle up and lean outward to look under your rig when it's stopped and being held by the lap portion of your belt, and use your imagination as to what happened. Please use this as a reminder to stay safe, and even educate those who might need a little bit of logic thrown their way regarding safety, and what can (and has) happened. Safe travels guys.
P

This is a good reminder for me. Although I have half doors now, I often get lazy and just use my lap belt only instead of also putting on my shoulder harness. Mental note.

Thanks.

You can't forget this guy.

Hope y'all caught the driver is being charged for the death of his passenger. If your driving, you are responsible for those in the vehicle. Be safe and get everyone back home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom