Farm Jack question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully soon I will be getting my sliders in and I made sure the ones I picked were rated by the manufactor to be able to be used as jack points.

Now I hope to get a farm jack to use off road in case of trouble... and yes i know they are finicky to use and all.... but the question I have is about size.
the area I want to store it in is limited...
SO....
is there any pros or cons to getting the 36" one instead of the larger ones in the 40s?

and yes smart-ass's i know one con is less lifting height of course... but I am talking about any real cons as far as usage goes. Oh and I am also looking at adaptors to use it on round tubing to make it safer that way too.

I will have it to lift my GX470 with a 2.5" Lift and 33" tyres.

pics
FB_IMG_1609700442797.jpg
PXL_20210116_181439828.jpg
for attention!!

Hi-Lift jacks aren't just finicky, they're dangerous to use. Never get your head in the path of the jack handle.

See how much axle droop you have before deciding what size jack you need. My 40 had lots of droop so I had to go with a 60" jack.

It's easy to detach the base of the jack to make it easier to store.

yeah... thats still something I have to do is to measure the droop and see what the clearance i actually need....

but besides the height is there any downside to getting a shorter one? If it gives me the height i need... right?

What kind of jack does the GX470 come with? If it's the screw type that Land Cruisers come with then it'd be just fine for use off-road. I used to carry a hi lift but don't anymore. Any situation where I can't get a jack on an axle would be too dangerous for me to use the hi lift.

Anyone ever use an exhaust jack?

What kind of jack does the GX470 come with? If it's the screw type that Land Cruisers come with then it'd be just fine for use off-road. I used to carry a hi lift but don't anymore. Any situation where I can't get a jack on an axle would be too dangerous for me to use the hi lift.
sadly it is a cute little bottle jack....

1621820486597.png

This is exactly how I feel. I know this isn't the question in the thread, and plenty of people use hi-lifts effectively, but bottle jacks are safe, almost always enough, small, light, more stable, and you can drive off of them then pick them up if needed. I have responded to a few hi-lift injuries in my career and I have also seen someone damage their vehicle. I'm not knocking them, but for me, bottle jack. I do like that a hi-lift can function as a come-along if you are sans winch but there are other options for that.

I doubt anybody ever said "I wish I'd gotten a shorter Hi Lift". While there are situations where too tall might be an issue - think using it on a slider, up against a door - you'll either be glad you had it and damn the scratches, or you'll have figured out how to use your OEM bottle jack like Patrick said.

I have a 48" Hi Lift. I've only needed it a few times off road; it's absolutely never used for any other situation. About half of those times it's been used to stabilize the truck while doing a proper recovery, and the other half has been when a bottle jack just wouldn't work (on the rocks). Once or twice I've used it to lift the rear before driving off of it.

I have no experience with the exhaust jacks but know a few people who wish they still had their money instead of that jack.

sadly it is a cute little bottle jack....

View attachment 2682652
That little jack will do you more than enough to get your wheels off the ground to change a flat. Front lower control arms have a flat spot for that to be safe to use on. I'm still able to use my factory jack with my lift and 35s

I have a 48" hi lift and using a high lift you'll definitely need the taller one with how much droop you'll have

I've hear of people using a hi-lift base with a factory jack but a nice piece of cut 4x4 would give you the extra height if needed.. but you probably won't need it. For me it is just unnecessary weight and awkward AF. I never have had bigger that 33" tires though and I don't wheel as hard as most here so full disclosure there. If you really want one though just get a big one.

then i have much to learn on it.. i was assuming ( yes i know what means ) that it wouldnt have the reach i needed but we will have to dive into it deeper and see what it is

As Ahmad said, that's the real deal right there. Go ahead and fully extended it. You'll be surprised what that little thing can do. It's also a great tool for unbending tie rods on the vehicle and getting 2F oil pans to pop loose. :grinpimp:

I’ve had my eye on the Safe Jack. It may not be as versatile as the high lift, but I’d rather use and store something like the Safe Jack.

From ONSC's CRR thread:

This just in.
I4WDTA Certified Master Trainer ‘Izzy’ will be offering 2 sessions of “High Lift Jack expert use” as part of the weekends activities. One on Friday and one on Saturday (same class repeated)

Check the schedule for times.

thanks to Izzy for donating his time!!

If you're going to use a Hi-Lift, you need to know how to use it safely.

I hate a hi-lift, but sometimes nothing else will do. They make me nervous. Every, single, time.

Love the Toyota bottle jacks, carry two of them in the 80.

I got a taller bottle jack and it worked fine when I got a flat at the cove. I will be getting some kind of axle cradle in the future though because it was sketchy lifting without one with the jack just on the axle. I don't think a high lift would have helped me in my situation.

IMG_20200606_135142.jpg