Family tops - what are you using for rear support? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The obvious way to run a family top is with a full cage. But I only have a cab cage. If anyone else has a cab cage only, or even just a roll bar, how are you supporting the rear of your family top?

Replicate the factory rear hoops

Look in the corners of your tub. There threaded holes in the corners of the tub. Two on the flat part and two up by the rim. The bottom bracket, 170, is a raised circle that holds the base of the tube and 175 is just a bent strap that holds the tube against the tub. Both brackets are bent sheet metal.

122F.gif

I actually have a pair of 170's, given to me by Colorado Boy. Looking for a pair of 175's. I dunno if the rear hoop is readily available, though. The ultimate solution would be to just get the entire setup as shown in the diagram.

I'll bet you could get damn close with a some electrical conduit and a Home Depot bender. The 175 bracket is trivial to make. The Toyota one is surprisingly bland. I know where there's a pair of both in a wreck, but I don't have power there to cut off the rusty bolts.

I'll bet you could get damn close with a some electrical conduit and a Home Depot bender. The 175 bracket is trivial to make. The Toyota one is surprisingly bland. I know where there's a pair of both in a wreck, but I don't have power there to cut off the rusty bolts.

Yeah I wondered what happened to those! :D

Hey Brian,
Why dont you install that factory OEM front roll cage hoop you showed me and use that for rear support?

here's an idea from another thread
this is what a friend did using an extra OEM main hoop and seat belt set... though I've not seen it in person, looks like it would be pretty easy to do.

before the flames begin to flow - I am not advocating this as a full cage, but I would think it would provide enough strenth to hold a couple small people generally in place and would fit under a hardtop.

good luck
attachment.php

Hey Brian,
Why dont you install that factory OEM front roll cage hoop you showed me and use that for rear support?

I've thought about it, but I'm not sure I want to put holes in the floor for it. Particularly if I might extend the cage later with something more substantial.

On the other hand, if I mounted it to a plate and spanned the OEM top holes in the wheel well tops over to the existing cage mounts, and got four sets of the OEM rollbar pipe clamps, I could make a lightweight cage like shown in glady's cage. That would work until I decide wwhat to do permanently. I haven't found a source for four sets of the pipe clamp T's, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom