False Indication From BRAKE and Battery Lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine did the same thing (brake+battery light) also sometimes heard a bussing sound from the pass side kick panel area. Replaced Alt. problem solved.

So did the new alt. fix the lights?

On to my next repair..
On my 1988 FJ62 the red BRAKE and the red Battery lights come at the same time. When I'm driving and and acclerating these two lights go out, but as soon as I slow down they both start to flicker and then stay on. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm asking becuase before I start to tear in to the dash or instrument cluster I would like to minimize any damage from digging in to deep.

Thank you.

Sounds like the brush's in the alt have worn down. A $10. dollar fix, but the bearings are most likely near there EOL.:D

We finally got around to changing the alternator, and now its working perfect. I can’t complain since it looked like the original unit (well over 200,000 miles). Thanks for all of the info you guys provided. This is now going to be my 16 year son’s daily driver.

This thread is just another example of how awesome IH8MUD and it's members are.

Tonight my 62 did the flashing brake, alternator, AT Temp lights with the buzzing under the dash.

A quick search led me to this thread.. saving hours of troubleshooting.

Tomorrow I get a new alternator.

Thanks to nelwen89 and all those that posted.

Yea, the sad thing is I had the entire front end of this engine off last year when I replaced the water pump and radiator. If I only knew then.....

I'm going to start looking at prices for alternators today.
Don't feel bad...I paid about $1100 to have a significant exhaust manifold repair done on my 04 Sprinter van...they had the engine out at the time and I couldn't think of anything else to do while they had it out. About 100 miles later the CPS failed...is stuck in the block, and I pretty much have to pull the transmission at this point to drive the old sensor out....a lot of aggravation for a $25 part

I was having this same issue with indicator lights coming on and buzzing sound from dash. PO had installed a trickle charger under the hood that I'd never used or paid attention to. After reading this post and realizing that the issue was voltage related, I removed it along with the additional wires leading to the positive battery terminal and the issue went away. Probably just cleaning up the battery connections resolved the issue. Also noted some improvement in window and door lock function... whew hew!!

Well, I replaced a loose and worn out positive battery terminal and I still have the chattering relay along with the Battery and BRAKE lights. I cleaned and reseated the negative lead connection too. When the truck is sitting at idle the voltage across my battery measures at 14.4 volts. It seems like my alternator is fine unless it is not putting enough amperage out along with voltage (overall wattage generated?).

I checked with Toyota and the relay from them would cost $131 (jeeze, that’s a lot for little plastic relay!).

I guess before I replace this really I could inspect my fusible links a little closer, but visually I'm not seeing anything right now.
So where is the relay?

I had the same problem with battery and brake lights coming on at low speed. It was the alternator. Had it changed two weeks ago and problem solved.

then yesterday both the brake and battery light came on and have stayed on no matter what. Any ideas? Maybe that relay mentioned above? Where is it? I already replaced fusible links last year.

I had the same problem with battery and brake lights coming on at low speed. It was the alternator. Had it changed two weeks ago and problem solved.

then yesterday both the brake and battery light came on and have stayed on no matter what. Any ideas? Maybe that relay mentioned above? Where is it? I already replaced fusible links last year.

I had the same and just needed to clean up the battery connections and remove a trickle charger that had been installed by a PO. It was connected to the battery. Problem solved. Just took a few minutes.

Can you tell em
Well, I replaced a loose and worn out positive battery terminal and I still have the chattering relay along with the Battery and BRAKE lights. I cleaned and reseated the negative lead connection too. When the truck is sitting at idle the voltage across my battery measures at 14.4 volts. It seems like my alternator is fine unless it is not putting enough amperage out along with voltage (overall wattage generated?).

I checked with Toyota and the relay from them would cost $131 (jeeze, that’s a lot for little plastic relay!).

I guess before I replace this really I could inspect my fusible links a little closer, but visually I'm not seeing anything right now.
where the relay is to replace for this issue?

Alternator, both my '88 pickup and '89 Cruiser behave that way

Edit: I just read the title more better and realized this thread is about a FALSE indication. Mine definitely wasn't false...

I had this issue last week with the charge and e-break lights on on my 86 FJ60 driving Sonoran roads at night, pulled into a Toyota factory mechanic at 1030pm and had some of the best factory techs in the world take a look (I'm totally serious, it's a long story but best in the world, not shade tree mechanics). After chasing down every wire in the engine compartment (and lots of comments on my home wiring), the confirmed I had no wiring issues. They pulled the brushes out of my alternator, cleaned them up, cleaned up the contacts on the rotor, problem fixed. 5am the next morning I was back on the race course with no charging issues. Toyota's head mechanic told me that was probably only good for a week or two, but that was good enough to finish up the race and get back to the US. I learned it's not too hard to pull the brushes and inspect them, even with the ALT still installed.

Clark

Did you ever figure out where this relay is?
Alternator, both my '88 pickup and '89 Cruiser behave that way
Edit: I just read the title more better and realized this thread is about a FALSE indication. Mine definitely wasn't false...

I had this issue last week with the charge and e-break lights on on my 86 FJ60 driving Sonoran roads at night, pulled into a Toyota factory mechanic at 1030pm and had some of the best factory techs in the world take a look (I'm totally serious, it's a long story but best in the world, not shade tree mechanics). After chasing down every wire in the engine compartment (and lots of comments on my home wiring), the confirmed I had no wiring issues. They pulled the brushes out of my alternator, cleaned them up, cleaned up the contacts on the rotor, problem fixed. 5am the next morning I was back on the race course with no charging issues. Toyota's head mechanic told me that was probably only good for a week or two, but that was good enough to finish up the race and get back to the US. I learned it's not too hard to pull the brushes and inspect them, even with the ALT still installed.

Clark

how did he remove them ,

then how did he install them ?

did he use a thin rigid WIRE , like A this PICL or something like a 16ga pneumatisch straight NIAL , insert into the back of ALT, in a special hole , to suspend them until done ?

when i have Restored alternators long before the grand day of Assembling all NOS parts , i would strip them down and the FJ60 2 wire green plug and the 3-wire geen plug also on 40's and 55's are Enrique , because the BRUSH holder is riveted to both sides of the Erectio board

after
a few failed attempts , i said F#ck IT , and my local DENSO HEAVY duty shop service center charges me 10$ per set to solder in 2 OEN genuine DENSO japan brushes and springs

he also , Ohmes out checks the diodes and rectifier , he HAS Indeed fond bad diodes on a NOS board , they get dropped on the floor 1 shatters inside

Clark , i would absolutely replace your 27700- voltage regulator and Make dam sure u get the NEW OEM tiny 3mm Philips screws too

2wire_alternator_text - Copy.jpg
2wire_alternator_wiring_diagram_.JPG
20130916_214829_text.jpg
20130919_172652.jpg
1628905047370 - Copy.png
1628905080756.png
P1020129.jpg
VR IC int 2F engine EN_ES - Copy.jpg

Clark
well, don't hold out on us, show us how that brush r+r is done with the ALT still installed :hmm: also, that long story, we've got time

well, don't hold out on us, show us how that brush r+r is done with the ALT still installed :hmm: also, that long story, we've got time
I was down in Mexico for the W2RC Sonora Rally as one of the Tango's (medical support trucks) and my alternator gave up the ghost on a long haul between Hermosillo and Puerto Penasco. Obviously no mechanic was open at that hour, and neither was any auto parts store. After stuffing my face with the last of dinner that was being served, someone mentioned there was a Toyota racing team and maybe they could help me out. I strolled over there beer in hand (hey, it was 2230 and we had all started at 0430...I needed that damn beer!) and the pit crew were just finishing up their maintenance of the "Hilux" they were racing. I put "Hilux" in quotes as it doesn't look or sound much like Hilux besides the grill, but they sure were cool to watch go by. Anyway, I explained I was the driver of one of only three medical trucks, my alternator wasn't working, and I was really hoping to be back out on the course at 0430 again the next morning. I'm sure I looked as scruffy as I felt after 18hrs, but they agreed someone could take a quick look if I pulled it up in front of their booth. Soon as I pulled up I got the whole damn pit crew descended, not just the low man on the totem pole that I expected.

It took them maybe 20min, but they chased a bunch of wires, questioned me about almost everything non-factory, and determined it was the alternator and most likely the brushes. One of the mechanics pulled the rear cover off the alternator, removed two more screws and out came the brushes from the rear. They confirmed that yes, those were severely worn out, discussed getting the brushes for the Hilux to fit. That that would require machining and they didn't want to start up that trailer at this hour, so ultimately it was decided to just clean everything up real well and off I went. Alternator made it the remaining four days of the race and back home to central AZ.

You have to keep in mind, this was my first ever time attending any rally race, no less a part of the "Road to Dakar," and I've never been into such things before and so was totally un-aware of who these guys were. Learned the next day this was Nasser Al-Attiyah's pit crew, current world champion.

Pit crew working things out...
PXL_20230426_051556201.NIGHT.jpg

Worn brushes...
PXL_20230426_053457565.MP.jpg

Back of the alternator, you can just see the brushes inside the center there, with two screws to remove and that whole plastic unit comes off with the brushes inside. Though I drive an FJ60, this is a 62 alternator.
PXL_20230510_171352540.NIGHT.jpg

Clark

P.S. The next morning I got Nassar and his arch rival, 9 time world champion Sebastian Loeb, to sign my crew shirt.
IMG-20230426-WA0015.jpeg

I was down in Mexico for the W2RC Sonora Rally as one of the Tango's (medical support trucks) and my alternator gave up the ghost on a long haul between Hermosillo and Puerto Penasco. Obviously no mechanic was open at that hour, and neither was any auto parts store. After stuffing my face with the last of dinner that was being served, someone mentioned there was a Toyota racing team and maybe they could help me out. I strolled over there beer in hand (hey, it was 2230 and we had all started at 0430...I needed that damn beer!) and the pit crew were just finishing up their maintenance of the "Hilux" they were racing. I put "Hilux" in quotes as it doesn't look or sound much like Hilux besides the grill, but they sure were cool to watch go by. Anyway, I explained I was the driver of one of only three medical trucks, my alternator wasn't working, and I was really hoping to be back out on the course at 0430 again the next morning. I'm sure I looked as scruffy as I felt after 18hrs, but they agreed someone could take a quick look if I pulled it up in front of their booth. Soon as I pulled up I got the whole damn pit crew descended, not just the low man on the totem pole that I expected.

It took them maybe 20min, but they chased a bunch of wires, questioned me about almost everything non-factory, and determined it was the alternator and most likely the brushes. One of the mechanics pulled the rear cover off the alternator, removed two more screws and out came the brushes from the rear. They confirmed that yes, those were severely worn out, discussed getting the brushes for the Hilux to fit. That that would require machining and they didn't want to start up that trailer at this hour, so ultimately it was decided to just clean everything up real well and off I went. Alternator made it the remaining four days of the race and back home to central AZ.

You have to keep in mind, this was my first ever time attending any rally race, no less a part of the "Road to Dakar," and I've never been into such things before and so was totally un-aware of who these guys were. Learned the next day this was Nasser Al-Attiyah's pit crew, current world champion.

Pit crew working things out...
View attachment 3319543

Worn brushes...
View attachment 3319544

Back of the alternator, you can just see the brushes inside the center there, with two screws to remove and that whole plastic unit comes off with the brushes inside. Though I drive an FJ60, this is a 62 alternator.
View attachment 3319546

Clark

P.S. The next morning I got Nassar and his arch rival, 9 time world champion Sebastian Loeb, to sign my crew shirt.
View attachment 3319554
thanks man. n you've never washed that shirt, have ya? :grinpimp:

I just started working on my 86 FJ60 this past weekend. I ripped out a bunch of old extra second battery cables, isolator and got a new battery. Now I have the Brake light and battery light on when the vehicle is not on or if the key is not even in the ignition. also, the ignition will turn it on, but will not turn it off. I have to turn it off by stalling it. I need to get a new 9V battery for my multi meter, but will test the alternator tomorrow. Thanks in advanced for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom