Failing Valve Cover Gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're doing the spark plug tube seals (which requires removing the valve cover) you'll also want to replace the valve cover gasket, the PCV valve grommet, and the Throttle Body gasket.

And to remove the Throttle Body you have to disconnect a small diameter water bypass hose from the underside of the TB, so it's easier to go ahead and replace that hose if it's age is unknown while you're in there.

And while the TB is off it's easier to clean out the 25 years of sludge/carbon
that builds up in the TB and on the butterfly valve. You can also reach in and to some degree clean up some of the intake plenum.

And if your EGR system is still intact you could clean out the EGR port/passageway where the gases flow from the EGR valve to just behind
the Throttle Body.

And while you're doing that you can remove the EGR valve and clean the carbon out of that, check it's function, replace if necessary.

And with all that out of the way you can inspect and rewrap your engine harness where it comes close to the hot EGR pipe and then add a heat reflective/insulation sleeve.

And to get the valve cover off you might as well remove and replace the heat control valve on the firewall while you're in there (if it hasn't been replaced) and then the hoses connected to that, if not the rest of the heater hoses in that area.

And don't forget to clean out the oil baffle located on the inside top of the valve cover; that can become clogged with sludge which is difficult to clean out, one can of Brake/Carb cleaner won't be enough. That's where some Simple Green or Purple Power can help.

And heck, if it hasn't been done yet, might as well replace the distributor O-ring.

So one job can turn into 12, 14, 20---, while you're in there.:)
Thanks for the advice. The previous owners were kind enough to have toyota install new: EGR vacum , TB Gasket, Idle control valve, EGR valve, EGR vacum, EGR gasket, PCV valve and an Idle Valve gasket in the rebuild 60k back.

I looked at the invoice but I cant tell if the gasket kit, 04112-66035, used for the rebuild comes with the spark plug tube gasket. I looks like the kit contains the valve cover gasket. Maybe the cover hasn't been retightened since the rebuild/ (Wondering if the valves may need to be looked at).

These DO tend to leak. Mine for some reason would start leaking every 4-5 years. Pull the dizzy, O-ring would be rock hard and not fully sealing any longer. Not a major leak....but annoying.

So while I had my distributor out doing my head gasket I cut a second O-ring groove and double O-ringed it. Time will tell if it made any difference....but a nary a drop of oil so far (2 years into it).

I know......I know......

The things a man will do when retired and you have the time...........🙄

View attachment 2957747
View attachment 2957748
View attachment 2957749
View attachment 2957750
You have a lathe?

If you're going to do this work yourself, one tip; be careful with the valve cover bolts, don't try to get them goodntight as they will snap off. There are small nibs on the underside of the valve cover that bottom out on the head; once you hit those the valve cover will not come down any further; the bolts will snap off if you try to tighten them too much. The TB gasket, by the book, it not supposed to be reused (it's a thin crush type metal gasket), but many people have reused them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The previous owners were kind enough to have toyota install new: EGR vacum , TB Gasket, Idle control valve, EGR valve, EGR vacum, EGR gasket, PCV valve and an Idle Valve gasket in the rebuild 60k back.

I looked at the invoice but I cant tell if the gasket kit, 04112-66035, used for the rebuild comes with the spark plug tube gasket. I looks like the kit contains the valve cover gasket. Maybe the cover hasn't been retightened since the rebuild/ (Wondering if the valves may need to be looked at).
The valves don't need to be looked at.

The VC gasket is a non-compression type gasket, and each of the bolt just has stops so the gasket doesn't get over compressed. Those bolts only go to 14 lb-in I believe.

I see lots of EGR related stuff, but nothing about a valve cover gasket, spark plugs tube seals, or distributor o-ring.

The VC gasket is a non-compression type gasket, and each of the bolt just has stops so the gasket doesn't get over compressed. Those bolts only go to 14 lb-in I believe.

I see lots of EGR related stuff, but nothing about a valve cover gasket, spark plugs tube seals, or distributor o-ring.
Got it. The distributor o ring has been replaced twice since the rebuild, almost 8k ago. I’m gonna follow the advice and replace the plugs tube seals and the cable cover gasket. There’s no oil spatter under the air intake hose, I just noticed.

Valve cover gasket (and PCV valve grommet);)

Valve cover gasket (and PCV valve grommet);)
Is this bolt on the PS with the o ring that needs replacement that you were referring to?

160F73B7-CE18-4354-A935-A087555CC8A0.jpeg

If you are pulling the valve cover I don't know why you wouldn't take the opportunity to check valve clearances while you are in there. It's free and gives added peace of mind (unless you find something amiss....)

Yes, that's the bolt, 10mm and very short. But to be clear it's the O-ring that likely needs replacing. A new bolt is optional depending on your level of LC-OCD. Should also check the hose on that pipe while you're in there.

Last edited:
you did not do that with a hand file.

Yes, I did. One round file to 'hog out' most of the material and a flat file (turned on edge) to finish. I made a 'guide' from a PVC reducing bushing to keep me 'in place' and just checked my depth often. I am serious.

I took it in to our local machine shop and they wanted $200.00 to machine the groove in it. I can afford that but it just felt so like getting 'screwed' that I decided....hell I can do it myself. So I did.

I kid you not....that IS hand filed.

Yes, I did. One round file to 'hog out' most of the material and a flat file (turned on edge) to finish. I made a 'guide' from a PVC reducing bushing to keep me 'in place' and just checked my depth often. I am serious.

I took it in to our local machine shop and they wanted $200.00 to machine the groove in it. I can afford that but it just felt so like getting 'screwed' that I decided....hell I can do it myself. So I did.

I kid you not....that IS hand filed.
There's medication designed specifically for that behavior.

Last edited:
There's medication designed specifically for this.

See Post #140

No med's needed. Took about an hour. No big deal.

I make these:
IMG_0829.jpg

Dalton1.jpg

Using just these:

pressureflakingtools.jpg

Some folks can....some folks can't. If you can, then DO....if you can't (pay someone else). ;)

Filing out a 'groove' was child's play.

Last edited:

The gasket kit comes with the spark plug tube seals.

The gasket kit comes with the spark plug tube seals.
That’s what I thought. It looked like it from the image online. I guess those are failing after only 60k? I don’t mind replacing them, but I’d guess they would last longer.

See Post #140

No med's needed. Took about an hour. No big deal.

I make these:
View attachment 2958475
View attachment 2958476

Using just these:

View attachment 2958477

Some folks can....some folks can't. If you can, then DO....if you can't (pay someone else). ;)

Filing out a 'groove' was child's play.
Those are arrowheads? That’s amazing detailed work.

Affirmative

Meh....they're just rocks. Takes a little skill to get them there though. Filing 'grooves' I can do in my sleep. But thanks for the compliment. 👍

Quit saying that. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom