factory undercoating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did toyota put undercoating. On the frame and body of these old fjs. Mine has a thick black coating on everything. I was wondering if that was factory. Thanks

The old FJ45LV I believe had some kind of undercoating on the tub but those were made in a different plant than the FJ40s. But not on the frame. I do believe the ubdercoating was a very light color not black. Your 66 would not have had any undercoating. The late FJ40 may have had some undercoating on the tub but don't believe Toyota every put any on the frames of the FJ40.

Thanks it did not look factory. It did do a good job keeping the paint under it in good shape. It was flaking off when I pressure washed it.

I do not think it ever came from the factory did it? Even in 1987 when I bought a new Toyota truck nothing came under coated from the factory, it was always a dealer option, or dealer job.

My 73 had dealer applied tar based undercoat on the tub, fenders and frame. I put more on when we restored it. It seems to help. Don't undercoat the axles, it traps heat, and it is pretty ineffective on the springs, breaks off. I masked off the spring hangers and such to have a clean line where I undercoated. Dealer jobs are usually pretty messy.

Both of my rigs are pretty original, and they both have undercoating. I'm guessing it was dealer installed.

What about the goopy tar crap on the driver's side floorboards? Both my rigs have it. It sucks. I'm guessing factory. :confused:

Both of my rigs are pretty original, and they both have undercoating. I'm guessing it was dealer installed.

What about the goopy tar crap on the driver's side floorboards? Both my rigs have it. It sucks. I'm guessing factory. :confused:

I hate that stuff. Isn't it the factory sound deadener. I had a gas leak into the cab a while back and it just turned that tar crap into a nasty paste.

The undercoating is petroleum based and breaks down when soaked with oil, like from rear main seal or xfer case seal leaks. If left oily, it preserves the paint underneath, but when chipped, water migrates underneath and causes nasty cancer. I removed all (with tub off) and replaced with roll-on bed liner (Herculiner). It is awesome and is unaffected by oil. I chipped out the interior sound deadener (another water trap and, again rolled on Herculiner. You could remove it with a hammer and chisel, it is pretty brittle. Now that I have a compressor, it would be a piece of cake with an air chisel.

I've also heard of guys taking dry ice chips and freezing the interior sound deadener. Then you can knock it with a hammer and it will break up easily. Already scraped mine out the hard way before I heard about it. Looking forward to trying dry ice the next time

"Undercoat" and "underseal" have two different meanings where I live. :frown:

I've also heard of guys taking dry ice chips and freezing the interior sound deadener. Then you can knock it with a hammer and it will break up easily. Already scraped mine out the hard way before I heard about it. Looking forward to trying dry ice the next time

Or you can just wait till sub zero winter to take off the tar sheets on the floorboards- then its just too easy.. cept for the fact that you'll be freezing your *$$ off.

My BJ44 has some type of under coating on it and I'm putting my money on it being from the factory. It is very thin and uniform and under it there is just a light green gray primer. It is very effectively removed by installing BFG AT tires. We all know about sand blasting- well these tires are essentially stone blasting the wheel wells and fenders on the gravel roads that I travel on regularly. Gives the mother in law a good startle every time a stone pops out of the tire.

Pete

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom