F to 2F questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just read that above 3000ft I should be another 2 advanced...gonna make that quick adjustment. I was certainly already there at some point when I did it by ear when I first got it running. I've tried so many combinations of timing, idle screw setting, etc. Nothing is changing it much. I have a video on my phone I have to move to youtube so I can post it. I'll try to do that in a bit so everyone can hear what it's doing. It was from sometime last week.
What I have heard is that you want 1 degree of advance for every 1000 feet above sea level in altitude.

I like to set idle speed to 750, set advance for max vacuum (more advance than the 7 degree ball bearing on the fly wheel, then reset idle speed (it will have gone up with the advance), then lean-drop mixture screw. If you have to reset idle one more time, do it.

Go out and drive it, make sure you don't have too much advance - no pinging.

I would call Mark and ask about the hesitation - it sounds like a fuel system issue to me.

As for the valves, after you log a few miles (500? 1000?), you should retorque the head bolts and reset the valve adjustment.

And oil change at 500 miles...
Was planning on the oil change. Have break in oil in it now. Didn't know about the re-torque and valve adjustment. On the to do list. Ive gone through about one tank so far so like 100 miles? 😂

Little update on all of this. The hesitation issue is pretty much resolved. Once it warms up, it runs amazing! No choke, no hesitation at all. I think the old gas may have been part of the issue. Once I burned through all of that and had all fresh in the tank, it went away 100%...I'm sure the timing was the bigger issue, but I do wonder about that 5 month old gas.

I do have another little issue I wanted to run by everyone. I'm not sure how big of a deal it is. As you may recall I had to order a special pully from CVF Racing to make the 2F water pump work with some of F setup I used. This pully has a slight back and forth shimmy to it. It's either the water pump flange or the pully out of true. Here's a video of it. I just ordered another one and told them I think the pully is out of true. They said they'd refund me if in fact it's off. If it's not the pulley, the water pump mounting flange has to be off. It's an Aisin...Anyone seen this issue with their pully or water pumps? Not excited about pulling the radiator yet again, but it seems like that's be great for long term wear. Curious what everyone has to say on this.

Little update on all of this. The hesitation issue is pretty much resolved. Once it warms up, it runs amazing! No choke, no hesitation at all. I think the old gas may have been part of the issue. Once I burned through all of that and had all fresh in the tank, it went away 100%...I'm sure the timing was the bigger issue, but I do wonder about that 5 month old gas.

I do have another little issue I wanted to run by everyone. I'm not sure how big of a deal it is. As you may recall I had to order a special pully from CVF Racing to make the 2F water pump work with some of F setup I used. This pully has a slight back and forth shimmy to it. It's either the water pump flange or the pully out of true. Here's a video of it. I just ordered another one and told them I think the pully is out of true. They said they'd refund me if in fact it's off. If it's not the pulley, the water pump mounting flange has to be off. It's an Aisin...Anyone seen this issue with their pully or water pumps? Not excited about pulling the radiator yet again, but it seems like that's be great for long term wear. Curious what everyone has to say on this.

The CVF guys saw the video and said it's nothing to worry about...still curious what everyone else thinks. Seems like this would be an easy thing to keep rolling smooth without the shimmy.

I don't see an issue with that. You have more movement on your crank pulley than the water pulley. I say rock it and show us in person at the Pig Party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom