F to 2F questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. A lot of you followed my spun bearing thread Help! She died today and won't turn over -UPDATE it's a spun bearing - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-she-died-today-and-wont-turn-over-update-its-a-spun-bearing.1265466/ (thanks again to all) Those who did will l know I've decided to move to a 2F transplant. It's a 77 courtesy of abqcruiser Mark and is currently in line to be rebuilt at Empire Engines here in Albuquerque. Since this is my first engine transplant (see other my threads documenting my limited but expanding skill set/newb wrench etc), I'm going the path of least resistance, and have decided to keep my original 3 speed and transfer case. I may go 4 speed down the line, but for now this already has me swimming in questions and confidence that I'm over my head. I've read through the threads on this topic and either didn't see, or maybe overlooked a few things that I'm trying to figure out...I'm sure some of you can help, so here goes.

1. The new 2F has an oil cooler and my 1F obviously didn't. After reading threads on this and deciding to keep the cooler, I've sourced the missing hoses and tubes I'll need, and know I need a different water pump. I also realized I'll need a new thermostat housing (upper and lower). My question is will the thermostat housings from the 60's (later 2F's) fit the 77 motor? The early 2 bolt 2F oil cooler compatible thermostat housings have been discontinued and I can only find the upper piece to order online. I can source the upper and lower housing for 81-87. The gaskets they sell for the lower part seem to show they'll work for the early 2F's so I think I'm good, but I also read somewhere people referring to these as high flow...or maybe that was the thermostat itself? Bottom line, just trying to figure out if this or something like it, will work (see below):

2. I'm trying to source a list of all the little bits and pieces I'm going to need to get it running if I ever manage to get it back and transplanted. I talked to the engine builder today, as I wasn't really sure what little bits would be part of their scope (ie oil sender water temp send, etc..), to which they basically said none of that. so here's a list Ive come up with, some of which I ordered already, some I need some advice on.

a) radiator hoses - ordered
b) intake manifold gasket - ordered
c) fuel pump - mine works but figured lets get a new one...what model should I get for the 77? I see one with a brass top and one that looks like the one on my 73 F
d) oil pressure sending unit
e) thermostat
f) thermostat housing (w/oil cooler) upper and lower and gaskets (see question above)
g) oil cooler hoses and tubes - ordered
h) water pump (w/ oil cooler)
i) water temp sending unit
j) motor mounts
k) oil pump - they didn't mention putting in a new one at the engine builder, but it seems like they would do this if the were gonna button up the oil pan? If they aren't planning to. I'll source one and drop it to them
l) carburetor mounting plate gasket

So what did I miss? The rest of my hoses are all in good order, and I have a brand new dizzy and coil, recently rebuilt OEM carb, new alternator, new power steering pump... I'm sure I'll figure it out once I start the transplant, but want to get as much of it here before this the engine is done.

thanks in advance, and maybe this thread can serve as helpful starting point for other newb-ish folks thinking about this swap...come to think of it, I'll post the other links I've read on this in new post below

Agree with above, there has to be someone out there with a decent 4 speed sitting around. Not sure what the 2f will get ya with a 3 speed. IF the pig wasn't going to body shop in the near future I would be doing my 2f/h55 swap into the SOW. There is part of me that will miss the 3/tree, but I'm going to enjoy listening to tunes instead of the tranny whine at 50-55mph.

Agree with above, there has to be someone out there with a decent 4 speed sitting around. Not sure what the 2f will get ya with a 3 speed. IF the pig wasn't going to body shop in the near future I would be doing my 2f/h55 swap into the SOW. There is part of me that will miss the 3/tree, but I'm going to enjoy listening to tunes instead of the tranny whine at 50-55mph.
Like this one?

20211024_165841.jpg

Motor mounts for a 55....I'm running into another issue I can't figure out. I currently have the round front mounts like these. Simple enough.
1636494005331.png

According to seller websites, it looks like you can upgrade to the beefier square ones. My first concern is, to my eye, they sure do look shorter. Won't this drop the engine in the frame, creating issues with the fan fitting fan inside the fan shroud?
1636494085644.png

Now the back has me way more confused. I have tall round rear mounts like these...which I don't see for sale anywhere, other than this listing for them used, which also says they are discontinued. All I see anywhere for the rear are the 2 piece units, but those don't seem right for the set up I have on this 73. Again, they'll be shorter by half or more.
1636494249110.png

Here's a set with the 2 piece rears that says it's good for all yr 55s.
1636494490187.png

So then, can somebody please help me with what I'm supposed to use and explain that if they are the shorter ones (square fronts and 2 piece rears), how this won't affect anything else (fan shroud or other engine height in frame related items)...sorry if this is a stupid question, but first time motor swap and I'm just seeing conflicting information out there.

Hi everyone. A lot of you followed my spun bearing thread Help! She died today and won't turn over -UPDATE it's a spun bearing - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-she-died-today-and-wont-turn-over-update-its-a-spun-bearing.1265466/ (thanks again to all) Those who did will l know I've decided to move to a 2F transplant. It's a 77 courtesy of abqcruiser Mark and is currently in line to be rebuilt at Empire Engines here in Albuquerque. Since this is my first engine transplant (see other my threads documenting my limited but expanding skill set/newb wrench etc), I'm going the path of least resistance, and have decided to keep my original 3 speed and transfer case. I may go 4 speed down the line, but for now this already has me swimming in questions and confidence that I'm over my head. I've read through the threads on this topic and either didn't see, or maybe overlooked a few things that I'm trying to figure out...I'm sure some of you can help, so here goes.

1. The new 2F has an oil cooler and my 1F obviously didn't. After reading threads on this and deciding to keep the cooler, I've sourced the missing hoses and tubes I'll need, and know I need a different water pump. I also realized I'll need a new thermostat housing (upper and lower). My question is will the thermostat housings from the 60's (later 2F's) fit the 77 motor? The early 2 bolt 2F oil cooler compatible thermostat housings have been discontinued and I can only find the upper piece to order online. I can source the upper and lower housing for 81-87. The gaskets they sell for the lower part seem to show they'll work for the early 2F's so I think I'm good, but I also read somewhere people referring to these as high flow...or maybe that was the thermostat itself? Bottom line, just trying to figure out if this or something like it, will work (see below):

ordered this set up. Gaskets are all the same size for all yr 2Fs as far as I can see on various seller websites. Hoping it's gonna work. Seems like it should.

2. I'm trying to source a list of all the little bits and pieces I'm going to need to get it running if I ever manage to get it back and transplanted. I talked to the engine builder today, as I wasn't really sure what little bits would be part of their scope (ie oil sender water temp send, etc..), to which they basically said none of that. so here's a list Ive come up with, some of which I ordered already, some I need some advice on.

a) radiator hoses - ordered
b) intake manifold gasket - ordered
c) fuel pump - mine works but figured lets get a new one...what model should I get for the 77? I see one with a brass top and one that looks like the one on my 73 F
d) oil pressure sending unit
e) thermostat
f) thermostat housing (w/oil cooler) upper and lower and gaskets (see question above)
g) oil cooler hoses and tubes - ordered
h) water pump (w/ oil cooler)
i) water temp sending unit
j) motor mounts
k) oil pump - they didn't mention putting in a new one at the engine builder, but it seems like they would do this if the were gonna button up the oil pan? If they aren't planning to. I'll source one and drop it to them
l) carburetor mounting plate gasket

So what did I miss? The rest of my hoses are all in good order, and I have a brand new dizzy and coil, recently rebuilt OEM carb, new alternator, new power steering pump... I'm sure I'll figure it out once I start the transplant, but want to get as much of it here before this the engine is done.

thanks in advance, and maybe this thread can serve as helpful starting point for other newb-ish folks thinking about this swap...come to think of it, I'll post the other links I've read on this in new post below

Hey, the round front motor mounts suck get the squares. It’s the same same. The rear for the 55 engine mounts are the 1 pieces. Those 2 pieces are for the 40 rears.
Thanks for the info. Are the squares shorter? And any idea where you can get the 1 piece rears?

Cody, have you called Cruiser Outfitters yet? They should be able to get you sorted out or at least steer you in the right direction.

Edit. I just checked their website. Looks like they have what you need.

I called them last week and they said we have a website...which is half finished with tons missing from it. I was a little disappointed. Not helpful at all, which was nothing like my past experiences calling them.

I called them last week and they said we have a website...which is half finished with tons missing from it. I was a little disappointed. Not helpful at all, which was nothing like my past experiences calling them.
Their website is pretty archaic, but it just means you have to talk to a real person to place your order, which isn't a bad thing these days.
On their website I'm seeing the single piece rear mount part# egm60072r and the front mount part# egm60022f. You'll have to call and see if they have any in stock.
Good luck in your search.

Their website is pretty archaic, but it just means you have to talk to a real person to place your order, which isn't a bad thing these days.
On their website I'm seeing the single piece rear mount part# egm60072r and the front mount part# egm60022f. You'll have to call and see if they have any in stock.
Good luck in your search.
I hear you. For the record, that's exactly what I tried to do and was essentially sent away. I had a list of stuff I knew I needed and had some questions. The guy was like here's our website, thanks for calling. So I went eslewhere for a bunch of stuff. Maybe I'll try them again if I can't figure it all out. Disappointing to say the least. Not like my other calls to them.

Motor mounts for a 55....I'm running into another issue I can't figure out. I currently have the round front mounts like these. Simple enough.
View attachment 2834704

According to seller websites, it looks like you can upgrade to the beefier square ones. My first concern is, to my eye, they sure do look shorter. Won't this drop the engine in the frame, creating issues with the fan fitting fan inside the fan shroud?
View attachment 2834706

Now the back has me way more confused. I have tall round rear mounts like these...which I don't see for sale anywhere, other than this listing for them used, which also says they are discontinued. All I see anywhere for the rear are the 2 piece units, but those don't seem right for the set up I have on this 73. Again, they'll be shorter by half or more.
View attachment 2834710

Here's a set with the 2 piece rears that says it's good for all yr 55s.
View attachment 2834714

So then, can somebody please help me with what I'm supposed to use and explain that if they are the shorter ones (square fronts and 2 piece rears), how this won't affect anything else (fan shroud or other engine height in frame related items)...sorry if this is a stupid question, but first time motor swap and I'm just seeing conflicting information out there.
Not a stupid question at all!

I had to go through some gyrations when I was putting 3FE in my '74 Pig. I want to say there are details in my build thread?

The driver side front mount split last year, it was the old round one and I replaced with the new rectangle style. I had no issues. Not sure if I took a picture in my thread comparing the 2 different mounts in a side-by-side comparison...

I hear you. For the record, that's exactly what I tried to do and was essentially sent away. I had a list of stuff I knew I needed and had some questions. The guy was like here's our website, thanks for calling. So I went eslewhere for a bunch of stuff. Maybe I'll try them again if I can't figure it all out. Disappointing to say the least. Not like my other calls to them.

This is very much unlike my experiences calling Cruiser Outfitters. I usually end up w/ Bryce, who is helpful.

I know they have an old website and a new one as well.

I am sure Kurt @cruiseroutfit would be bummed to hear about your experience when calling!

On the motor mounts, I called Cruiser Outfitters back today. Way better call. He said they have some new people over there who are still getting trained up. Understandable these days I guess. Anyway, they had the big round rear mounts and confirmed for me that the square ones are in fact the same height as the rounds. Ordered and on the way. Pesky interwebs pictures can play tricks on ya.

I now have all the parts I know about sourced and ordered for the swap. I'm sure there's gonna be something I missed, but hopefully nothing that'll slow me down too much. Now sit and wait for that engine to work it's way to the front of the line at the shop!

Hi everyone. Happy new year to all. I've been away from the forum for a while waiting for my new engine rebuild. Well, I finally got my freshly rebuilt 2F back from the builder recently and managed to actually get it bolted to the frame this weekend! So excited! I'm running into a little issue though.

Even after lots of fiddling and adjusting of the mounts and bolts, the motor is not sitting square in the engine bay. When you look down over the front down to the crank pully, I can see it's not at 90 degree angle to the front of the truck. I can measure almost 1/4" difference from one side of the pully compared to the other side of the pully, to the front cross bar under the radiator. The old motor was not visibly out of alignment like this before I pulled it, at least not that I remember.

I'm using the front mounting brackets that came on the 2F as opposed to the ones off of my original F because the passenger side has the mount for the AC comp. and alternator which I eventually plan to use. Also the originals would have required some boring out of the bolts holes to fit the 2F. I'm using the original bell housing and rear brackets, as I'm putting the 3 speed back in for now. I'm using new sqaure front mounts and big round rears from Cruiser Outfitters specifically for the 55. I put the fan on the water pump and held the shroud in place this morning and it is not going to rub, but you can definitely see it's not square.

So then...any thoughts or suggestions as to why it's bolting up but not lining up right? The only thing I can think of would be to pull it back out and reem out the mounting bracket holes or the holes for the engine mount studs and try to get it to shift over enough.

pics to follow in a minute from my phone. Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom