f motor w/4 speed trans. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
do you guys think it will be possible for a f motor with a 4 speed transmission. i want to change my 3 speed tranny to a 4 speed or maybe even a 5 speed. i would like to to stick with a toyota tranny. i am capable of installing the transmission myself. i just bought the truck and the owner said he had just rebuild the motor. i would like to stick with the f motor if possible. i just don't want to waste time going through all the trouble and find out it don't fit. my as well go with the 2f motor with the 4 speed, right?

I am no cruiser expert but I know that you can mate a toyota 4speed to the F motor, I don't know if you need adaptions. Also the 4speed has the same final gear ratio as the 3 speed. So if you are looking for more speed then I would say go with the 5speed, which will mate with your F motor with some adaptions. Hope that helps.

I have a 4 speed from a 74 that was originally mated to an F motor. You won't have any trouble there. Are you planning on using the orginal transfer case as well? If so (help me out here guys) I think only the 74 4 speed will work because of a change in spline count for all the following 4 speeds.

your right about the transition year, but i can't remember if the 74 4 speed had the same splines as ALL 3 speed cases, or if the 74 case had the same spline count as All 4 speed gear boxes, and the same ratio as the 3 speed case.

anyway should be the transfer case that'll need adaption, as all F, 2F, and 3F will accept the same bellhousing and all that crud IIRC

If it helps, my '76 4 speed has 16 splines. I'm looking for the transition gear, 16 splines and 29 teeth. If anyone has one, PM me. Or if I wrong on transition gear specs, please correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom