1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f motor w/4 speed trans.

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fj40kuiser, Oct 1, 2003.

1. fj40kuiser

fj40kuiser

do you guys think it will be possible for a f motor with a 4 speed transmission. i want to change my 3 speed tranny to a 4 speed or maybe even a 5 speed. i would like to to stick with a toyota tranny. i am capable of installing the transmission myself. i just bought the truck and the owner said he had just rebuild the motor. i would like to stick with the f motor if possible. i just don't want to waste time going through all the trouble and find out it don't fit. my as well go with the 2f motor with the 4 speed, right?

2. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

I am no cruiser expert but I know that you can mate a toyota 4speed to the F motor, I don't know if you need adaptions. Also the 4speed has the same final gear ratio as the 3 speed. So if you are looking for more speed then I would say go with the 5speed, which will mate with your F motor with some adaptions. Hope that helps.

3. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a 4 speed from a 74 that was originally mated to an F motor. You won't have any trouble there. Are you planning on using the orginal transfer case as well? If so (help me out here guys) I think only the 74 4 speed will work because of a change in spline count for all the following 4 speeds.

4. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

your right about the transition year, but i can't remember if the 74 4 speed had the same splines as ALL 3 speed cases, or if the 74 case had the same spline count as All 4 speed gear boxes, and the same ratio as the 3 speed case.

anyway should be the transfer case that'll need adaption, as all F, 2F, and 3F will accept the same bellhousing and all that crud IIRC

5. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

If it helps, my '76 4 speed has 16 splines. I'm looking for the transition gear, 16 splines and 29 teeth. If anyone has one, PM me. Or if I wrong on transition gear specs, please correct me.