F/2F Air cleaner fitment questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This last weekend of wheeling in Clayton, OK has told me I need power steering, among other things like more lift, bigger/wider tires and that 4spd swap I have sitting in my garage. I must "go big or go home!".

Okay, I have a '72 "F" engine with stock Aisin carb on stock manifold. I have swapped out my old tin valve cover for a better sealing aluminum '75 "2F" model.

I want to put on the mini truck power steering setup and understand that I can't do it with my stock "F" air cleaner setup -- the power steering pump fits in that place :mad:

Here's my problem/possible solution: I figure I could just put a '75-'87 "2F" air cleaner setup on there and be done with it. But, I don't have a stud in my "F" carb for the air cleaner :mad: Is the "2F" air cleaner inlet the same size as my "F" carb throat? Could I plug the stud hole on the housing use a hose clamp around the throat like the "F" setup?

Have any of you done anything like this? :D Any suggestions? :-\

Another reason I want to use the "2F" air cleaner setup is that it will work with my homemade snorkel setup I have attached to my "F" air cleaner now :D

Jody.

Outback, since I'm there, EXACTLY, I'll answer. The 2F intake sits out from the engine about 1/4-5/16" more than the F intake. Before you worry about the lack o' stud, it won't even line up unless you change the intake. I've got the transitional motor, '74 F and a half and I'm doing the same thing, but don't run a snorkel. I'm going to see how loose or tight it fits and then may do exactly what you said and mod the 2F ac for a hoser clamp.
Sorry to tell you that you have more schtit on your plate than you thought :doh:
Keep you posted...
Ed

What about moving the air cleaner housing around on the valve cover to accomodate the carb location? Much easier than messing with the manifold I think.

Let's see if the throat will fit the ac housing...

Jody.

That would be an option, I happened to have a 2F intake lying around, so that is what I used. There is some play in the way the ac is mounted. I also kept the rubber gasket that fit on the old F ac, hoping to use it in the "newly engineered" fit. I think it is worth messing with because the stock ac(or your snorkel) will draw cooler air than what you find with the aftermarket aircleaners.
You can space the ac to the pass side with washers where it mounts to the side of the valve cover, then maybe use some fender washers where it mounts on the top of the valve cover.
Let us know how it turns out.
Ed :)

I'm not sure because I don't have PS yet but have run into some carb breather clearance problems. If your planning on putting power brakes at any time in the future I wouldn't rotate the filter back, else you would probably have to move it twice. .02

My '72 came with power brakes stock, so that's not a problem.

Can anyone tell me if the 2F air cleaner will fit properly over my F carb throat?

Can you get a measurement of the ID of the 2F ac where it fits onto the carb?

I believe I can booty fab adjust the 2F ac to work if it will fit over the carb throat and seal decently.

I meant to do that last night. I'll see if I can get you a measurement at noon, sorry.
Ed

OutBack, I went home and measured the opening in the ac and the carb. The carb is 3" and the ac, with the rubber gasket off my F ac is about 3 1/8", so it will fit when you line it up.
HTH
ED

Roger that Degnol!! Thanx for the info!!

Now, does anyone have a spare 2F air cleaner setup they want to part with?

Stickboy has one for sale $20. Check the "For Sale" listings. He's parting a 2F.
GL
Ed

Maybe there's an easier way. On my son's f (73), we swapped the alternator to the passenger side with a 2F bracket, and mounted a saginaw pump where the alternator had been, using a smog pump bracket from a 2f. Plenty of clearance.
I tried the 2f air cleaner idea on my 73, but aside from the stud problem, there's a spacer in the body of a 2f carb that makes it sit about 1" higher than an f carb. You can cobble up a combo carb, but it will be a child only Dr. Frankenstein could love, IF it works. Also, the 2f ac interferes with the f throttle cable in the extreme.
I have acouple 2f alt. mounts if you need one.

I'm using an F carb on my 2F motor and air cleaner. Made a 1" aluminum spacer to fit btwn maniflod and bottom carb spacer. Been running it now for a year. works great.

Lizrd,

Please elaborate on a couple of things in you post, I'm very interested in what you did...

So you kept the original "F" air cleaner, right?

Did you have to "customize" either of the brackets? I ask because my fabrication facilities are limited to a drill press, dremel and a half-round file.

And lastly, please detail how/where you ran the alternator wires to the passenger side. What gauge of wire for that long of a run should be used?

Your solution seems the easiest by far. Hang onto one of those alternator brackets, I think I'll need it. Any leads on a smog pump bracket?

Jody.

watch your hood clearance, specifically the prop rod. i put a 2f in my 45 and had to remove the prop rod because it was hitting the air cleaner housing.

Jody,
I do use the stock ac, and runnimng the wires around is easy, I used 12 ga for the main wire and 14 ga for the other(s). I think I spliced in sections of wire, so I could keep the original ends.
No great fab skills required, you have to drill out the smog pump bracket to 3/8" and find an adjuster slide from some junkyard.
Then get a saginaw pump that has a pulley at close to the right alignment distance to line up with the smog pulley on the crankshaft. A few washers here and there for spacers, and you're cookin'!
I've got two 73's set up like this, one saginaw and one mini-truck. I'll take photos this weekend and post on Monday.

Thanx Lizrd!! Photos would definitely be helpful.

I assume I'll also need a double pulley for the crank and water pump huh?

Will the saginaw pump have the right width pulley??
Any idea what application I need to look for in the saginaw pump?

If you get a 2f crank pulley with 2 wide pulleys, look for AMC. An f w/smog pulley has one wide and one narrow, so most other pumps will have a good pulley. Try to find a pump with the return line fitting turned up, not down. you'll need the clearance if you're going to run a Saginaw steering box.. You don't have to have a water pump pulley. I run my ps to the crank pulley only.

Outback, I hope I'm not to late with this, but I did a mini p/s using a pump and remote resavour from a chevette diesel, mid 80's and the real strong box mount from the guy in No. Carolina, I forget his name. Mounted the pump on the air cleaner bracket with a piece of angle iron, and a support to the water pump. I am using the aaa.i.r. pump as the adjustment, it's empty, and my air conditioner pump is on a FJ-60 right side motor mount using the rear belt. Works great, and no problems in almost a year. Sure makes driving it fun. Earl, az..fj-40 header, a/c p/s c/d 13 gal aux tank.

[quote author=Outback link=board=1;threadid=10900;start=msg98987#msg98987 date=1075906169]
Your solution seems the easiest by far. Hang onto one of those alternator brackets, I think I'll need it. Any leads on a smog pump bracket?

Jody.
[/quote]

I've got a 2F that I'm parting out. I've got the altenator bracket, smog pump bracket, air cleaner housing and most everything else (no pulleys though, sorry). All your's for $20 + shipping. Send me an e-mail if your interested.

Jody, I have a couple pics of my setups, but they're too large to post. Email me at dsafford@transcor.com and I'll forward them to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom