Experience with E Bay rear spoiler ?!?

I have been interested in adding a eBay rear spoiler to my LX and I am just curious if anyone has any real world experience. @ around $250 painted. Seems too good to
Be true or is it?

7DCD19C8-F080-447B-9B38-79389B04B9F2.png

1E5C2252-1924-436C-8844-5F05D4AA0D01.png

I'm guessing you're in CA, and not sure of the color you're looking for... but I have an OEM Black one, off of a '06 LX...

EDIT: sorry, to answer your question: no idea on the Ebay ones. never tried.

My LX470 came with the whale tail spoiler, similar to what is pictured, but from Toyota/Lexus. B4 buying the eBay version, I would think hard on how it mounts. The Lexus spoiler is not complicated, but the mounts are pretty specific.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
It looks pretty much identical to the one that came on my LX470. I can tell you this much, you don't want to remove a factory Whale Tail, sand it down and repaint it. I did that this summer and will NEVER do that again. I had about $90.00 in paint, clearcoat and sandpaper. Another $65.00 in a new LED brake light and untold hours sanding, priming, painting, sanding, clearcoating it. Not worth it. Buy one already painted and install it.

WT2.jpg

suprarx7nut

The YotaMD Guy
Supporting Vendor
It looks pretty much identical to the one that came on my LX470. I can tell you this much, you don't want to remove a factory Whale Tail, sand it down and repaint it. I did that this summer and will NEVER do that again. I had about $90.00 in paint, clearcoat and sandpaper. Another $65.00 in a new LED brake light and untold hours sanding, priming, painting, sanding, clearcoating it. Not worth it. Buy one already painted and install it.

View attachment 1904161
I think a lot of people definitely under-value the work required to do any kind of good body/paint work. It's an incredible amount of labor do refinishing well. I've started to dabble and ho-ly-cow is it a lot of labor to do it right.

Just FYI, it’s not factory paint and it’s also aftermarket (made in China but spray painted in Texas). I don’t like dealing with aftermarket. Let us know how it works out for you.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
I think a lot of people definitely under-value the work required to do any kind of good body/paint work. It's an incredible amount of labor do refinishing well. I've started to dabble and ho-ly-cow is it a lot of labor to do it right.
Especially on a part like a Spoiler with all the curves and crevices. A flat body panel would be one thing but I had to hand sand the majority of the Whale Tail. Stripped it down to the original primer. Found that the item is blow molded...so of course had bubbles and imperfections that had been filled. Had to refill those, sand it all down. Prime it, sand, paint it (two coats) sand, clear coat it (3 coats with sanding in between). It would have been SO much easier to just purchase one.

As for normal body work....yes it involves more work than most folks realize. As concerns prep for paint, 90% of the work is just getting the vehicle/part ready to spray. Spraying is the easy part. And when prepping...remember, paint does not hide imperfections, it accentuates them.

suprarx7nut

The YotaMD Guy
Supporting Vendor
Especially on a part like a Spoiler with all the curves and crevices. A flat body panel would be one thing but I had to hand sand the majority of the Whale Tail. Stripped it down to the original primer. Found that the item is blow molded...so of course had bubbles and imperfections that had been filled. Had to refill those, sand it all down. Prime it, sand, paint it (two coats) sand, clear coat it (3 coats with sanding in between). It would have been SO much easier to just purchase one.

As for normal body work....yes it involves more work than most folks realize. As concerns prep for paint, 90% of the work is just getting the vehicle/part ready to spray. Spraying is the easy part. And when prepping...remember, paint does not hide imperfections, it accentuates them.
Yes, totally agreed with the imperfections thing. I sprayed my wife's old car and thought I had it "good enough" that the minimal texture before paint would be hidden by the thickness of the clear. Not even close. Instead new textures popped up and became visible. I ended up with mapping in some areas where I used filler.

I enjoy paint work when I have extra time and no time constraints. It can be very satisfying. Unfortunately that's almost never how it works out. :(

Top Bottom