expedition one front bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was wondering about airbag compatibility. So far the only bumper that says it's compatible is the ARB, and I don't really like that one. What really makes a bumper airbag compatible?

Runner Ryan said:
I was wondering about airbag compatibility. So far the only bumper that says it's compatible is the ARB, and I don't really like that one. What really makes a bumper airbag compatible?

I won't make you go back through the whole thread to find out, but thats been asked quite a bit... Infact I think there was a thread a wile back that was dedicated to that exact subject... Maybe you could do a search if you wonted to find it.... but I'll give you the cliffnotes

To be honest with you I'm not sure what make a bumper airbag compatible, becuase most bumpers aren't connected in with the airbag sytem....

In the FJcruiser there are 2 sensors at the front of the body that you can see when the bumper is off... Most airbag systems work off sensors that detect rapid changes in acceleration/momentum. so theoretically, becuase winchbumpers are heavyer & stiffer than stock bumpers, they should make the airbag sensors slighly more sensitive due to the increased rigidity....

ARB is a big company that can afford to do neat things like crashtesting there bumpers, though thus far they haven't crash tested the FJC bumper that I'm aware of, but they have one in Australia now so who knows, maby it will hit the wall. They probobly have crashtested different vehicle that have the same platforms though.....

On the other hand I know of another company that claimes all of there bumpers are airbag compatible, but have never crashtested any of them. A good link to check out if you really wont to know how airbags work is : http://auto.howstuffworks.com/airbag.htm

Thanx for the shortened version.:D
I know how the airbags work, I was just wondering about what makes a bumper compatible. I'm guessing the only thing that makes them compatible is the fact that they crash test them. Might just be on diffrent vehicles....

actually hooking up tomorrow and changing my winch line over to synthetic and puttin my skid on will post pics tomorrow night!

Mapleton,

First off: I’m not the first and won’t be the last, but NICE RIG!

Question: How much sag did the winch/bumper combo introduce to your Revtek Lifted FJ up front? This is it for me bumper wise. Still haven’t decided on a lift though.

On a side note, I put a thread with this question on that other FJ site and apparently too many complaints from the lift manufacturers caused for it to be moved to the “basement.” The thread question was how much your winch/bumper combo caused your lifted FJ to sag. I’ll post the thread on this site later on.

perez.steve said:
Mapleton,

First off: I’m not the first and won’t be the last, but NICE RIG!

Question: How much sag did the winch/bumper combo introduce to your Revtek Lifted FJ up front? This is it for me bumper wise. Still haven’t decided on a lift though.

On a side note, I put a thread with this question on that other FJ site and apparently too many complaints from the lift manufacturers caused for it to be moved to the “basement.” The thread question was how much your winch/bumper combo caused your lifted FJ to sag. I’ll post the thread on this site later on.

I can probobly answer that, from what I could tell pauls front end probobly came down about 1/2" or so, Its hard to tell and we really didn't messure it so much.... I can tell you that his rig sitting on flat ground looks normal, and isn't doing any nose diveing. Also IMO, with that lift, it rides better now that theres a bit more weight on the front end....

OK so hears the weigh in... the bumper weighs pretty much 100lbs on the dot, but that isn't including the skid or reinforcement brackets, which probobly at 5 to 10 lbs.

the weight of the bumper and winch together was about 185lbs, with the cable set up. the cable weighs about 25lbs, and the fairlead weights about 10-15lbs. So take those of, and with a t-max EWi-10,000 and a synthetic winchline, total weight is probobly in the range of 145 to 155lbs....

Oh and the picts of the lights are done..... I'll post them in just a bit.....

hears the pics of the light test....

first pic is somewhat gratuitous......
lightingpic.jpg

becuase the FJC's have daytime running lights the headlights are constantly on so we had do do some fanagleing in order to make it possible to see how the light was being cast from the fog lights....

this is the view from the top of the FJC....

lightingtest_top.jpg

You can clearly see that there is a small amount of interferance with the bumper right in the center. Its in the same area as the hoop. you'll never see this blank spot becuase its literally right infront of the vehicle, and out of the drivers pattern of vision....

hears a picture from the side showing the beam pattern. the lights can be tilted down more if desired, to put the beam lower...

lightingtest.jpg

beers_52 said:

I should clarify that a bit.

Its not necessarly that they (other companies) are claiming there equipment is "airbag compatible", but rather that it does not effect the deployment there off.

Truthfully I can't say that I know for a certain that they have (other companies) never CRASH TESTED any of there bumpers, atleast in the traditional sense of a true crash test using dummies, highspeed cameras, sensors, and all that good stuff that the NTSB uses, but I would think if a company was going to put that much effort into there product to prove its credibility they would definelty be letting people know.....I know I would!

But like I've said earlyer, in theory thease claims are correct, it shouldn't effect the deployment, so what their claiming is mostlikely valid.

Last edited:
ok - I've finally damaged the factory front bumper

What's the lead time for a std bumper with the works (lites, hoop, pwdr coat)?
What is the skid? not shown in pics and oem is less than my applications require

AND

Are you developing a rear or do I go allpro - I want to mount a jerry can and hi-lift and they aren't there yet...

Blues Dawg said:
ok - I've finally damaged the factory front bumper

What's the lead time for a std bumper with the works (lites, hoop, pwdr coat)?
What is the skid? not shown in pics and oem is less than my applications require

AND

Are you developing a rear or do I go allpro - I want to mount a jerry can and hi-lift and they aren't there yet...

i believe james has five bumpers ready to ship minus powdercoating
my skid is off right now james is making a new one.

mapleton cruiser said:
i believe james has five bumpers ready to ship minus powdercoating
my skid is off right now james is making a new one.

Actually the truth is I've got 10 that will be finished next week, but 6 of them have been spoken for, and 2 of them are going for bullbar proto types . There will be another 10-15 finished about 2-3 weeks after that.....

Price for bumper with hoop, lights, & powder coat is $998.95 . If you won't to make an order let us know: http://http://www.expeditionone.biz/contact.htm

For the rest of us... patience, patience, patience. :)

Pauls been buggin me about posting thease pic's so hear you go:

fjdecent.jpg

fj_peek.jpg

fj_onhill.jpg

and my personal favorite:

fjcmud.jpg

its about time!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom