expedition one front bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can i get some feedback on this bumper design. likes and dislikes.
thanks.
fjstyle1%20copy.jpg

this is the first cad drawing . looking for feedback before it goes into production. you can look at other bumpers at expeditionone.biz

I like it...need to see a profile shot. Does it have a topside access panel for the winch? That seems to be an issue for most. Also where are the recovery points?

Post it over at http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/ you'll get a lot more feedback. They've all been drooling over ARB, Bentup, and All-pro bumpers so you may already have some competition.

Looking at the website, I like the bull bar style that's on the TJ in the front bumper section better. Just looks better than a full wrap over the headlights.

I'd probably ditch the internal off road lights for durable recovery points and put the lights on top between the headlights.

I would also integrate a skidplate.

Hard to form a real opinion as the image shows it on the Concept FJ and not the Production FJ Cruiser.

mapleton cruiser said:
can i get some feedback on this bumper design. likes and dislikes.
Overall, I like the design. I'd like to see it from a 3/4 and a profile, too, just to see how the bars wrap around the body. I like the lights in the bumper, and it looks like - from your website - pick up points would be located where you'd normally expect them to be, correct?

There are some concerns, however - but not necessarily over your design, but the general bumper design that I see developing. Because I've only got the one picture of your bumper and can't tell if it's going to go down the same path, I'll use other bumpers to demonstrate what I like and dislike and what I feel are issues that should be addressed. Because these bumpers are made by companies that have been around, I'm not going to focus on the strength or thickness of the bumpers - I haven't seen them all in person, and can't attest to the FJC bumper, but I have seen (or used! :)) their other bumpers and feel reasonably confident that they will function as well as their other products do - but rather on the asthetics. Yeah, it's superficial, but the bumpers are all more or less created equal as far as fitness for purpose.

Brush Guard/Bull Bar
This is what Toyota is offering. It's not attached to the bumper, as near as I can tell:
PT21235070FJCruiserBrushGuard.jpg

I like the way this piece looks and the way it fits in with the idea and design of the FJC. The steel on this isn't nearly as thick as what you're proposing, but what I do like about it is that is still has the character and design of the FJC carried through (the hoops that go all the way around the turn signals, the extra bar across the top, and the thicker center posts). What I think they missed - again, in my opinion - is bringing out more of the character of the FJ - the lights and the silver plastic grille.

I think Bentup did a better job - although I'd personally like to see another bar on top of the center of the Bentup that matches the hood duct on the FJC, and instead of the 'wings' that come out around the turn signals, see something more like the bruch guard from Toyota with the complete wrap-around hoops.

bentup1.jpeg

Which brings me to my next point...

Bumper
In my opinion, the Bentup is a bit too 'thick' or 'tall' for the FJC. It looks more like a wall than what I think a bumper should look like. I really like the direction you're going with less of the unbroken straight line across the front. Yours looks - for whatever reason - more like a OEM bumper than an aftermarket one ... although, to be fair, the ARB is the most 'OEM' looking of all of them.

arbbumper.jpg

This may be because of the way they broke up the center lines, used curved surfaces rather than sharp angles, and the light inserts seem to be part of the vehicle. Overall, though, I'm not a big fan of the ARB for the FJC - and I'm certain that it has everything to do with they way they've executed the bullbar; the thickness of the tubing, the way it hides the grille and the tubing that doesn't follow the turn signals. It really looks like they took their product from another truck and bolted it up to the FJC. It doesn't look like it was made for the FJC.

Design
One of the only other things that I notice is the way the ends of the bumpers all 'finish.' I'm going to use the AllPro bumper because it's the best example, and the silver paint really sets it off to show what I'm talking about:

allpro1.jpg

If you look at the ends of the bumper, you can see what I'm talking about: the angles are different than the FJC's. They don't match any bodyline, the black plastic fender, or follow the line from the fender - extending it down to finish the bumper. In fact, it extends past the bodyline of the fender. It makes the bumper look ... I dunno, "aftermarket" seems to be the word that fits the best. Like the bullbar on the ARB, it doesn't look quite like the AllPro was made specifically for the FJC - although I know that to not be the case.

While some of their products are over the top, I like the design and the integration that the Road Armor bumpers show. The angles all compliment the rig, the finishes at the end of the bumpers follow the logical line of the wheelwell, and most of them just plain look right.

roadarmor.jpg

It's a shame that the guy who designed all their bumpers is no longer with the company, as I would really like to have seen what they came out with, but I think that there's still ... an element that's missing from the current crop of bumpers.

Last edited:
Make the bars optional and you have a winner!

Now put Toyota back on that front grill and get rid of that logo:cheers:

thanks for the feedback i will pass it along please keep it coming.

I am wondering if any of these aftermarket bumpers are causing airflow/cooling issues to the trans cooler and radiator? With that in mind making an opening that resembles the factory opening in the bumper may be a good idea. Just my opinion. Thanks for stopping in and seeking constructive criticism.

Hi, everyone. Thanks for the the feadback thus far. I am the designer of the bumpers and thought I would just jump in and answer any questions ya'll might have and show some more updated pictures.

Hears a more updated rention of the bumper giving a bit of a sideview.

fjfbfront2side1.jpg

Hears another front view but this time with shackle mounts and the access hole in the top....

fjstyle1full.jpg

Last edited:
FJCruiserOwnersGroup said:
Overall, I like the design. I'd like to see it from a 3/4 and a profile, too, just to see how the bars wrap around the body. I like the lights in the bumper, and it looks like - from your website - pick up points would be located where you'd normally expect them to be, correct?

If you mean pickup points as in recovery shackle mounts?, Yes...

Yours looks - for whatever reason - more like a OEM bumper than an aftermarket one ... although, to be fair, the ARB is the most 'OEM' looking of all of them.

Ummm thanks... I guess...

It really looks like they took their product from another truck and bolted it up to the FJC. It doesn't look like it was made for the FJC.....

Ummm, I think on that one they did. I Remember looking at it at sema and upclose it looked like the lines didn't quite match up. I think they used a Prado bumper....

jditom said:
Make the bars optional and you have a winner!

Now put Toyota back on that front grill and get rid of that logo:cheers:

It will be possible to order them without the bars...

green73 said:
I am wondering if any of these aftermarket bumpers are causing airflow/cooling issues to the trans cooler and radiator? With that in mind making an opening that resembles the factory opening in the bumper may be a good idea. Just my opinion. Thanks for stopping in and seeking constructive criticism.

I Wouldn't know for sure on any of them, but for the ones I've seen and that have been posted in this thread, I wouldn't think they would have any issues....

The all-pro has quite a few holes in it that are probobly very adequate, and the bentup bumper also has alot of holes going across the bottom which I would think allow for ample Flow.

The design form my company Currently doesn't have any vent holes but it is something that where looking at and will be putting in if needed....

I guess I am the only person that is having trouble fully visualizing this because it is tacked onto the concept FJ? Come on.. you can superimpose that on a real FJ cruiser can't you?

Here is a picture if that's all you need:
DSCF0641.jpg

iamnid said:
I guess I am the only person that is having trouble fully visualizing this because it is tacked onto the concept FJ? Come on.. you can superimpose that on a real FJ cruiser can't you?

Here is a picture if that's all you need:

I'll see what I can do. I used the above picture becuase of how it was taken Its almost dead center and its taken from a distance using a somewhat telaphoto lens, (probobly greater than 70mm.) with it up close like the picture that you have given the object that is the closest in a single frame is sized regularly, but everything beind it is sized much smaller in comparison. Its kinda like taking a picture of a person really close up and it making there nose HUGE, but the rest of there facial fetures look tiny....

anyway its hard to workwith becuase my cad program shows things in actual size 2d and doesn't work the same as a camera does...

Last edited:
heres another design a few minor changes . i think the bumper is coming along very nicely.
fjstyle1full.jpg

Try one with the bull bar like the one on the TJ on your website.

I'm liking the looks of it though!

sorry, i just saw that this was already posted by jfonz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom