expedition one front bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We anxiously await final pix arrival...and the following order takin'! :)

So Far...

...this is the best front end, at least cosmetically I've seen on the market. I definitely like the looks better than the ARB or the Demello, although I think I would prefer the wrap-around brush guard from a forest wheeling perspective. Great Job!

i have had the powdercoated final product on my fj for 4 days now. looks great getting lots of looks and comments on it . it has a great approach angle and looks tough as nails . i am very pleased with the final product.

mapleton cruiser said:
i have had the powdercoated final product on my fj for 4 days now. looks great getting lots of looks and comments on it . it has a great approach angle and looks tough as nails . i am very pleased with the final product.

ok, so how bout some big pictures ? ? Same views as jfonz' original pics, please :D

he will be posting them tomorrow

Sorry everyone that thease are a day late. There was a Ben Harper concert last night and I just had to partake....

The pictures were taken with the winch w/ the roller fairlead becuase thats pretty much the standard, though our recomendations would be to use a aluminum haus & synthetic rope insted.... but anyway, without further adieu hears a whole bunch of pics...

fjfb1.jpg

fjfb3.jpg

fjfb4.jpg

fjfb10.jpg

fjfb7.jpg

Thease things flex pretty good.....

fjfb5.jpg

fjfb2.jpg

fjfb6hangtire.jpg

fjfb8rearflex.jpg

fjfb12.jpg

fjfb13rally.jpg

And a little action photo to finalize this post ....

I still have a few to post....

nice pics james you guys james is top notch this bumper is sweet , so order up! i love my new bumper you must admit it looks real goooooood.

I'm in - good project for winter. :)

Article on ORC re: bumpers

Hey jfonz -- I've been following this thread and I'm ready to interview for an article I'm writing for Off-road.com about FJ bumpers. I sent you a private email with my contact info.

My deadline is tight -- please contact me ASAP so I can get some quotes and pix of yours in this article! Great publicity for you; not to mention it is fun and will only take :15 minutes.

Katrina Ramser
p://tlc.off-road.com/Featured+Content:+FJ+Cruiser

Hear's a few extra pics for explanitory reasons...

This first one just shows the position of the winch inside the bumper....
fjfb9winchside.jpg

Just to let everyone know, the bumper has 2 stratigically placed holes in it that allow the use of 6" round lights to sit under the hoop.... but depending on the winch you have it may require dialing back the clutch handle. I know it will on a T-max for sure...
picture-041.jpg

OK I'm showing this becuase I feal the need to be informative to everyone that might buy one of thease bumpers. I'm spacifically showing this becuase it bugged, and it probobly bugged me a whole lot more than it would other people. I was going to change it but after testing the bumper Its going to stay, and the pictures will explain why....

THE GAP>>>>

this gap is about 3/8 of an inch to 1/2 inch both sides of the bumper (maybe smaller becuase I didn't really messure it and I'm probobly over dramitizeing the whole thing)
picture-038.jpg

Now hear we have mad flex, so much that the front tire is floating..... sweet....

but notice the two sides of the bumper & how the gap looks now....

picture-080.jpg

now its about 2mm or less from touching the body on the driver side....
picture-076.jpg

And about 1.25" on the passanger....
picture-077.jpg

so sad to say the gap is staying, but I think were going to add some of that stuff you buy for your doors to protect the outer edges from contact with other stuff. It will make the gap smaller and help prevent any damage that potentially could occur wile offroading...

any questions, coments, or concerns?

Last edited:
jfonz,
Do you have to take off the bumper to install the winch?

bumper lights

can someone post a picture with the fog lights on at night. it seems they are recessed to deeply to get the 95 degree spread noted by piaa.

thanks,
jon

Hey JFonz, can you go a little into detail on options to cover up the winch mounting opening? Thanks. Awesome pictures by the way!

mbisson said:
jfonz,
Do you have to take off the bumper to install the winch?

I'll let you know more about this on monday. We were able to take of the grill, and set the winch in place. it was pretty easy, but the hard part was bolting the winch on. Its pretty tight in there and we had some difficuties in getting the bolts in. This could be partically due to me being in a rush, and not taking the time to really think about the situation... I've already adjusted things just a bit to help and I'm going to work on figureing out if there is an easyer way to do it, without being a contourtionist... Right now I would say its probobly easyer to get a few people together and have them help you lift the bumper on with the winch in it. probobly alot faster and your garrenteed to get the leverage you need to tighten the winch bolts...

I'll know more about it on monday......

jonlee71 said:
can someone post a picture with the fog lights on at night. it seems they are recessed to deeply to get the 95 degree spread noted by piaa.

thanks,
jon

I'll try and do that when mapleton get back. He's out sneeking through the mountains trying to kill animals RobinHood style...

I'm going to adust the light ports to get the lights even closer to the face of the bumper, but already there pretty close. the grill part is ment to just touch the the edge of the bumper. You probobly won't get 90 degrees out of them but thats due impart to the angel of the bumper. It slopes in on the sides at about 22.5 degrees from center. with how lights work all sorts of things could be going on, I personally thing they'll be able to spread out great, but when Mapleton gets done chaseing after veinison we'll test it out...

perez.steve said:
Hey JFonz, can you go a little into detail on options to cover up the winch mounting opening? Thanks. Awesome pictures by the way!

I'll have one cut out and try and post it up in a bit....

im back. will hook lights up and take pics and post

Everything's lookin good!

Couple of ?'s Did you ever get a weight on the bumper? Without winch, with winch, and how much difference between steel cable vs. syn rope?

Kathie

Still didn't get a weight but will this week and we'll include a weight with the winch and without...

but I can tell you, the winch that we used weights 95lbs with everything, the cable by its self weighs 25lbs, not including the hook. Also the fairlead weights about 10-lbs by itself. Synthetic cable weights on average 3 to 8 lbs, depending on what kind of hook set up you use... so by going with synthetic you'll save about 30 lbs of weight... so total weight of the bumper and winch will be about 200lbs.. IF you went with synthetic rope total weight would probobly be around 155 to 170 lbs depending on the type of winch you go with.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom