Exhaust manifold help, 78 FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a bin box of brass nuts I have pulled off of manifolds over the decades. All are 10mm/F engine. I have never seen a 12mm nut on a 2F.

Well, maybe it’s time to stock a few....also use brass on the manifold flange nuts and copious amounts of Never-Sleeze on the studs....basically anything exhaust related....you don’t want to ‘break’ or cut off in the future.

@Chestcutter or others, I am trying to tackle a leak from my manifold to exhaust. Only 2 of the 3 studs are there. The 3rd was not there since I acquired it and the hole in the manifold is stripped. I assume I'll need to put a helicoil in, but wondering if I should try a TIME-SERT instead. I'm going to try to do it without removing the manifold, at least at first. Not sure I'm up for the complex surgery seen here.

Anyone know what size helicoil or time sert to order?

Already ordered the gasket and replacement studs from local dealer.

95AC2A8A-4706-4E01-8430-65B83409138A.jpeg

C82D57D1-1FE3-4AC1-AD6C-A9B4311C6FC4.jpeg

Anyone know what size helicoil or time sert to order?
I think that’s an M10 stud. I’ll check when I get home. Time sert is definitely a very solid repair but expensive and requires a bigger hole. Helicoil might be worth trying if the threads are stripped but the hole is otherwise in good shape. Definitely a cheaper option for a single repair.

The F manifold studs are 10mm. The 2F are 12mm.

@Goldbug my studs have all been replaced with non-metric with helicoils which are rusted in place, but my not yet used toyota studs are M10x 1.25

Thanks. Yeah, looks like M10 x 1.25. Ordered helicoil since hole looks pretty clean. TIME-SERT looks good but $$. Will try Heli-Coil first. A little worried about heat tolerance but we’ll see. Sounds like a pizza delivery car right now!

Anyone have Toyota part numbers if I wanted to switch all my 2F manifold fasteners to studs only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom