Exhaust leak (maybe my last 🤣)…gasket replacement time, top tips welcomed! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to tackle my last (fingers crossed) exhaust leak on my 82 FJ 40 - Saudi Spec…any top tips for replacing these gaskets on the downpipe? I’ve read a thread about failures around the flange so I’ll have a look for any cracks. Any other tips are very welcome! Cheers

IMG_0422.jpeg

If you're using any gaskets other than Remflex, save yourself some headache and just get a set.

For the collector, I use either Toyota OEM, or Fel-Pro 23561 / 23591, depending on what pipe size you have.

I had flange leak issues until I switched to the Remflex gasket....never had any issues with the collector flange using either OEM or Fel-Pro.

If you're using any gaskets other than Remflex, save yourself some headache and just get a set.

For the collector, I use either Toyota OEM, or Fel-Pro 23561 / 23591, depending on what pipe size you have.

I had flange leak issues until I switched to the Remflex gasket....never had any issues with the collector flange using either OEM or Fel-Pro.
Great tip, much appreciated, I’ll have a look

If I install any type of fiber (filled) gasket I soak it it in warm water for 1/2 hour - the high spots on the mating surface can set in easier. Having the mating surfaces clean and flat is important. A piece of sand paper on plate glass will plane of surfaces nicely - like the lip on a the edge of a hole. High heat anti-seize compound on the threads is a must IMHO. Stainless steel nuts, bolts and clamps is a great up grade too.

Torque in a proper sequence to chase out the warps. If say the # is 90 foot pounds, the first time I do the sequence at 30, then 60 and finally at 90.

After you do the install, run the engine enough to heat everything up - let it cool back down and re-torque the stuff at the final setting in sequence. After a few days of operating, check the torque again - you should then be good for a long while.

Not much to it, dry fit the gasket on manifold and exhaust pipe. Check downpipe flange for flatness. If flange is warped it will leak....not much to fixing aside from flattening flange, getting a thicker gasket, adding a shim to tighten up fit or a new flange.

All of this is hypothetical, yours could be in nice shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom