Remove exhaust - gasket replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1973 1F engine. The intake came off fine but the exhaust seems stuck. Is there anything more than the 6 bolts? I’ve already separated the down tube. I can sort of twist it upwards but it doesn’t want to come free and I’m not sure how much force I should use. Hoping a new remflex will seal it up. ( I put the 2 middle bolts back just to hold it temporarily in case it somehow broke free. )
Thanks!

1682897468297.jpeg

Last edited:
Update - wriggled it off. trying to clean everything as much as possible and reinstall. My exhaust donut gasket is shot so will order that and hopefully get everything else buttoned up.

View attachment 3311754

MOST Excellent example of FSM procedures step- steps :popcorn:

Last edited:
Could be warped, which makes it harder to remove, so check them with a straight edge and maybe get them machined before re installing with a new gasket.

@dkcrew

"My exhaust donut gasket is shot"

You know the OEM gasket is not a donut, right?

#1 in the pic is what I am after - it also sits on a removable part that slides into the exhaust. I'd get one of those but I don't see a part#. Maybe not factory?
1683033813563.png

Something looks messed up with that left front motor mount in the last picture.
yes - something isn't right with that. whack-a-mole :)

I did some re-assembly. All was going well until I tried to tighten that back nut close to cab. The stud is stripped. The PO had 2 washers I think to try to secure it. I've tried one. No luck. I'm going to see if I can get this stud out and track down another one. So close.
1683033961977.png

The reflex is on top and the old one is on bottom. Remflex is at least twice as thick. I hope that helps seal it up.
1683034064076.png

1682955050706.png

Last edited:
Try this PN Toyota 90917-06005 Gasket, Exhaust Pipe. It is a common part found at the parts dept or any local parts store

"#1 in the pic is what I am after - it also sits on a removable part that slides into the exhaust. I'd get one of those but I don't see a part#. Maybe not factory?"

The OEM arrangement has that gasket #1 slide over the exhaust pipe and rest on a flange welded to the exhaust pipe.

The collar (#4) then pulls up on the exhaust pipe flange and crushes the gasket between the exhaust manifold outlet and the collar on the exhaust pipe flange.

The original OEM arrangment only has those 3 parts: gasket, flanged exhaust pipe, and collar (plus the two studs.)

thanks again everyone. I did order a few new manifold studs. I believe this to me my primary problem -- the rear stud in the hard to reach back of the engine. 2 of the bolts connecting the exhaust and intake were also messed up so I've chased those and the other studs (10 x 1.25 if I recall correctly). So everything is pretty good except this one. I am dreading the idea of getting that stud out and putting a new one in without damaging anything.

1683116780782.png

On the exhaust gasket - mine is definitely different. I have a flange but it just slides into the exhaust. It's not welded. And this gasket sits between the flange and the collar. definitely not a clean seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom