Exhaust heat control valve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this the heater control valve on the bulkhead?
No, it's the heat control valve in the exhaust manifold. It brings warm air to the intake manifold during cold starts. From what I read, it helps with fuel atomization until the engine is warmed up.

After looking at the manual closer, it looks like I might be able to disassemble it enough to free it up.

Robert

Screenshot_20230708_141646_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Ahh i see. Seems like there are quite a few threads to be found with a bit of searching.
The sticking leads to a cracked inlet manifold as I understand which gives you a lot more problems.
Seems like there is a blanking plate solution to separate the two manifolds.
Otherwise I guess strip it apart carefully and clean everything and reassemble.

Not sure if this helps..

Anyone know where I can get the heat riser gasket for a 1962 FJ40 F engine? It looks to be a copper gasket. It is a 4 hole gasket. All other years seem to be a 3 or 5 hole gasket.

Robert

That's going to be a satisfying cleaning job - I bet that looks great when you've finished.
If all else fails you can easily make one at least from soft copper sheet.
I sure hope so. I'm hoping my sand blaster will do a good job at cleaning most of it up. And then a good coating of high heat paint. Some copper sheet was my thought as well.

Robert

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me as well. I glass beaded the manifold and parts and discovered the parts were distorted from the exhaust gasses they were not good to re install. The parts were still available 10 years ago but I do not know if they are still available. I know some people removed all the heat riser parts and machined the holes to accept NPT fittings and go without it.

Anyone know where I can get the heat riser gasket for a 1962 FJ40 F engine? It looks to be a copper gasket. It is a 4 hole gasket. All other years seem to be a 3 or 5 hole gasket.

Robert
Not sure by any means but given the history of the Toyota inline 6 being inspired from GM's work you could try a Chevy Stovebolt one which looks similar - 1950-1962 Engine Manifold Gasket Intake to Exhaust 235 and 261 Chevrolet and GMC Pickup Truck - https://oldchevytrucks.com/me3671.html.

This is another option. You can make your own.

Robert

I plasma'd out the heat flapper on two of my trucks, drilled and tapped the holes for set screws. Granted mine are 2F's, but the process should work fine for your F manifold. No issues with cold starts, freer flowing exhaust and a throatier sound. No more worrying about the flapper getting stuck and overheating my intake.

Last edited:
OK, I finally managed to remove the valve assembly. P.O. spot welded the butterfly valve to the shaft (Looks like the single screw broke off), so some filing and light die grinder work was needed to get it all removed. Luckily, no damage was done to the mating surfaces. The million dollar question:

Should I try to re-use these pieces?

Robert

20230725_223001.jpg

20230725_223008.jpg

20230725_223015.jpg

20230725_223023.jpg

20230725_223036.jpg

Well done getting them out. I bet that was a battle.
Given the potential to crack the manifold if it fails, I think I'd be reluctant to put them back. Probably be inclined to bag up the parts with a bit of oil, and set them aside in case the next owner is more obsessed with originality than reliability.

OK, I finally managed to remove the valve assembly. P.O. spot welded the butterfly valve to the shaft (Looks like the single screw broke off), so some filing and light die grinder work was needed to get it all removed. Luckily, no damage was done to the mating surfaces. The million dollar question:

Robert

View attachment 3383802

View attachment 3383803

View attachment 3383804

View attachment 3383805

View attachment 3383806

u still need any of the center square ish 3 or 4 bolts gaskets Sandwich ?

Robert

View attachment 3383802

View attachment 3383803

View attachment 3383804

View attachment 3383805

View attachment 3383806

You did a good job of cleaning up the original parts. I would keep them as what @45Dougal has said. I have been through this and was told by very knowledgeable people that after gasoline went "unleaded", the exhaust gases became a destroyer for many things such as movable parts, valve seals etc.. So, even with NEW parts , the unleaded gas is still here. Valve seals have become " hardened", so that is ok. Been there. I cannot say how many years it takes for this chemistry to work, but I have removed all of those parts and threaded and use NPT for exhaust. Actually , it seems there is not much need for cold anymore as well. It is 110 Degrees here today.

Yes, I really haven't looked around on options for that yet.

Robert

i have qty x 2 of these

PERFECT FLAT NOS oem toyota

- DO have all 3 sandwich bolts NOS too if u need them ?

- i do have 1 NOS siamese F the manifold things that turns like a wing nut to compress the two ......fyi

- i DO have ANY manifold fitting or DELETE plug OEM you could ever dream of ..... :cool:

- now have this too made ein japan

water pump or cyl head mounting too ....

this is TITZ and will not disappoint ........🔮

1690472064654.png

1690472075065.png
6B1ED79B-C295-47F0-86FB-CA47F639AE7E.jpeg
DCF9B3EA-27E0-4914-8A4C-F0397D11AF7B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom