Exhaust dilemma on my Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H

Hodag

Ive got a 74' FJ55 with a 350/TH350
Ialso have a cracked exhaust manifold. Im tired of smelling like fumes and feeling sleepy every time I drive to work. Id like to run headers. Im running a Edelbrock Performer intake/carb, stock truck cam. My dilemma, the PO had a really nice 2.5" dual into a 40 series Flowmaster w/ 3" single outlet. I dont really want to cut it up, and would I be gaining anything by running headers into a single muffler. The truck is my DD. Whay would you guys suggest? Are there stock manifolds that flow well and just replace my cracked one? I have the Advance Adapter V8 headers on my 40 and they made quite a difference. Are there headers available for the 55, or should I look at block huggers? I just dont know where to go with this. Thanks for any help, Hodag

I got block huggers from Autozone for $114 and love them. Flowmasters flow very well, so using headers might give you a little better performance. Biggest problem with headers is the heat under the hood. It can get very hot. Get some header wrap from Summit and wrap them, keeps the heat down very well. Most exhaust shops could add the short pipe to patch your exhaust into the headers for a low price.

Chris

I've got block huggers and dual 2" pipe all the way back... There's plenty of room under a pig for dual exhaust. The only part that stinks is the transfer case- and the fact that we had to go under the mounts on the passenger side- making it really low. Oh well- I've never hit it, so i guess it works. Hoping to re-route the exhaust to above the tcase when I body lift it.

What exhaust manifolds? truck, car, ramhorns, etc.... Also is the exhaust completely custom right now?

Key word in all your post is DD, so imo it wont make that much difference with a stock motor.

I can help, let me know.

As far as I know, the manifolds are out of a 1 ton GMC van. That is what the PO got the motor from. The motor is a new generation 350, with the center bolt valve covers. I have not bothered to check the date code on the block yet. The exhaust is custom 2.5" to the muffler, 3" to the back, 2 into 1.

Just like the other members suggest, getting new blockhuggers is the way to go. I know this post is kinds old, but i had the same problem a few months ago. The heat problems you might have to deal with can be unbearable at times unless you get something to wrap the headers up.

:lol: Eric sold the 55 at least three years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom