excessive clearance lifter bucket to cam = much Ticking Noise 2006 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
overlooking the Mississippi River @ Memphis
First time I have run into this, passenger side 4.7 variable valve timing 4.7 excessive engine noise Ticking almost like a rod knock or a cracked flex plate or exhaust leak/cracked manifold, but it is i believe... excessive valve lash... like in the .050 range... this vehicle sat up for almost 2 years and it was told to me it did not do this before ? (maybe but why did it sit) in my "logic" as parts wear the clearances would close up ie get tighter.. I do not see wear on the cam or on the buckets... before I pull the cams and reshim the buckets... what am I missing? IF i do have to pull the cams I will document the current clearances and be able to shim to spec each bucket with this document... i hope...

Hi there. I have no input other than when my cam was out for a seal, it was then installed wrong and broke. There are none left for sale anywhere on earth afaik but perhaps now, a year later someone has an option if that were to happen. It was the cam closest to the passenger side on an 06. I had to source a used one because the shop was unable….I had to search the entire world and my only chance was Russia but was unsure of how to do that transaction…

So good luck and please be careful. I’ve never removed a cam myself but have always heard they are like glass. The mechanics error was tightening a cam that was slightly not level, tried to use to bolts to seat it. I’d suggest you do that seal and the cam end that interfaces with the seal if needed anytime soon.
First time I have run into this, passenger side 4.7 variable valve timing 4.7 excessive engine noise Ticking almost like a rod knock or a cracked flex plate or exhaust leak/cracked manifold, but it is i believe... excessive valve lash... like in the .050 range... this vehicle sat up for almost 2 years and it was told to me it did not do this before ? (maybe but why did it sit) in my "logic" as parts wear the clearances would close up ie get tighter.. I do not see wear on the cam or on the buckets... before I pull the cams and reshim the buckets... what am I missing? IF i do have to pull the cams I will document the current clearances and be able to shim to spec each bucket with this document... i hope...

Hi there. I have no input other than when my cam was out for a seal, it was then installed wrong and broke. There are none left for sale anywhere on earth afaik but perhaps now, a year later someone has an option if that were to happen. It was the cam closest to the passenger side on an 06. I had to source a used one because the shop was unable….I had to search the entire world and my only chance was Russia but was unsure of how to do that transaction…

So good luck and please be careful. I’ve never removed a cam myself but have always heard they are like glass. The mechanics error was tightening a cam that was slightly not level, tried to use to bolts to seat it. I’d suggest you do that seal and the cam end that interfaces with the seal if needed anytime soon.
thanks for the input... this is my first 4.7 with the variable valve timing, i have many of the older 4.7s and have been into them alot... just never had this issue... I did read that you have to use a assembly screw in the exhaust cam gear? that has to stay in place until it is seated? while i have it apart i'll do the timing belt and water pump... just for fun...

The assembly screw in the exhaust cam gear is to hold the spring portion of the cam gear in place while the cam is removed to prevent damage. The FSM has specs on the screw requirements. Keep it in place until the cam is reinstalled back into place, just make sure you remove it before installing the valve cover since that would not be fun.

The assembly screw in the exhaust cam gear is to hold the spring portion of the cam gear in place while the cam is removed to prevent damage. The FSM has specs on the screw requirements. Keep it in place until the cam is reinstalled back into place, just make sure you remove it before installing the valve cover since that would not be fun.
Thank you... there is VERY little about this on the net or I am using the wrong search words

I might have trust issues, but if I am digging into the engine I am only using the factory service manual. The engine mechanical section walks you through every part of the process you might be thinking about working on, except for maybe the cylinder honing procedure and a couple other small things.

I might have trust issues, but if I am digging into the engine I am only using the factory service manual. The engine mechanical section walks you through every part of the process you might be thinking about working on, except for maybe the cylinder honing procedure and a couple other small things.
I agree. When a shop used alldata vs fsm, it was not complete. FSM FTW. It will pay for any repair or especially a mistake. They (the four books) are the entire truck top to bottom.

@baltistyle Similar issue here I think:

2001 LC. It had a small oil leak, was supposed to get a valve cover gasket changed, and then the camshaft was broken in the process. The shop covered it all and replaced the camshaft, but I’m getting a noise now that I noticed before I left the shop. Drives normal otherwise. Shop said it is just a new camshaft but I’m not sold on that idea yet.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
sad to say, I have the same type clicking, although much less. Been getting worse over the last 3 years. Concentrated on passenger side. 2006 250k miles.
I'm digging into it this and next week. #4 and 6 injectors sound horrible.
Before I take the cover off I'm replacing those 4 injectors, coils and plugs with OEM just to see.
It really sounds like a solid valve train click to me. (mine) your video is hard to tell. Use a stethoscope and pinpoint it.

I can hear mine through the instrument cluster, that's how loud it is.

Sorry I can not be of help as mine is a vvti engine. I also thought I heard new things but had been without the car for a month by then. I drive it very hard and no issues a year later.

Last edited:
give me back my 5 minutes for figuring out why in the world you quoted a bunch of unrelated nonsense.
erase that.

give me back my 5 minutes for figuring out why in the world you quoted a bunch of unrelated nonsense.
erase that.
Sorry, it’s because the quote feature on this site is absolutely the worst especially when using it from a phone. But five minutes, come on;) haha

@baltistyle Similar issue here I think:

2001 LC. It had a small oil leak, was supposed to get a valve cover gasket changed, and then the camshaft was broken in the process. The shop covered it all and replaced the camshaft, but I’m getting a noise now that I noticed before I left the shop. Drives normal otherwise. Shop said it is just a new camshaft but I’m not sold on that idea yet.

Any thoughts?

Solved: sorta. After dealing with this since November 2022, mechanic replaced the whole cylinder head under warranty and that fixed the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom