"Except California and New York" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 94 Landcruiser service manual has the disclaimer "Except in New York and California" in the sections describing the 02 sensors.

Does anyone know what is different about California 02 sensors, and how I can get the missing info?

T.

should be the same, IIRC california got the EGR temp sensor early before the rest of the country and that was the only diffrence, after OBDII (95ish) all states got the same cruisers.

maybe just a blanket Toyota wide statement?

Your registration/VIN plate might also say something like "49 states" excluding California or something like that. The idea was California (and maybe NY?) had stricter emissions regs than the rest of the USA back then. I don't think it matters for older cars/trucks now. I know my LX 450 would not have been California compliant when it was new in 1997, but I registered it there in 2004 without issues.

OZCAL said:
I know my LX 450 would not have been California compliant when it was new in 1997, but I registered it there in 2004 without issues.
Pretty sure the LX was alwys 50 state compliant. There was just a thread which indicated that several earlier years of 80 series were not 50 state compliant, but my memory fails me as to which years...:frown: :)

In most other states, the O2 sensors have a shorter replacement interval than in CA or NY. the reasons for this is emissions.

For example, in some vehicles, a timing belt is due at 90K, in CA it's due at 105 b/c after 100K miles it is not longer under emissions warranty and the manuf. doesn't have to pay for it's replacement should it fail

patpend2000 said:
In most other states, the O2 sensors have a shorter replacement interval than in CA or NY. the reasons for this is emissions.

For example, in some vehicles, a timing belt is due at 90K, in CA it's due at 105 b/c after 100K miles it is not longer under emissions warranty and the manuf. doesn't have to pay for it's replacement should it fail

That makes complete sense. The vehicle is the same, but the maintenance is pushed back just beyond California's required emissions warranty period.

So what Toyota really means is "You should do this maintenance, but we're not willing to pay for it under warranty."

Thanks.

tech_dog said:
So what Toyota really means is "You should do this maintenance, but we're not willing to pay for it under warranty."

Thanks.

"Maintenance" is the vehicle owner's responsibility, not the factory's.

Dan - What I was wondering is if California law requires any emissions "maintenance" to be considered a repair. I've been looking on-line out of curiosity, but never found an answer.

T.

Dunno, I live in the rest of the country....:D

From Toyota's web site

Federal Emission Coverage: Components under the federal emission defect warranty are covered for 36 months/36,000 miles and specified major emission control components are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. Specified major emission control components under emission performance warranty are also covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. In addition, emission performance warranty is applicable for 24 months/24,000 miles in states and local jurisdictions that require a periodic EPA-approved inspection and maintenance program.

California Emission Control Coverage: In California and any other state that adopts California emission warranty provisions, performance warranty and defect warranty coverage is applicable for 36 months/50,000 miles, and specific control devices are covered for 7 years/70,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom