Examples of real mud tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for as many examples of real bias ply mud tires. Not the typical bfg or other mainstream stuff. The type of tire not recommended for street driving.

Such as gumbo monster mudders, ground hawgs, gateway buckshot mudders, etc.

Especially if anyone knows of one that makes 265x70r17 or 32x10.5x17.

Thanks.

Tractor tire? Check out this thread.

Newby Needing help!? suspension vs soa
I didn't find examples of mud tires in that link but I admit only glancing over it. I got the gist that they were talking primarily about lifting a truck.

No, not tractor tire. An example would be like the 32x10.5x16c gateway buckshot mudder I mentioned above, which to my knowledge is not a tractor tire.

Hi all,

Look no further than the bias ply TSL (Three Stage Lug) from Super Swamper (Interco.)

Very tough tire carcass with very aggressive tread pattern. Works great in deep mud and snow, and rocks too. From my experience deep sand, packed snow, and ice are the only conditions that the TSL does not perform well in.

Regards,

Alan

Last edited:
Hi all,

Look no further than the bias ply TSL (Three Stage Lug) from Super Swaper (Interco.)

Very tough tire carcass with very aggressive tread pattern. Works great in deep mud and snow, and rocks too. From my experience deep sand, packed snow, and ice are the only conditions that the TSL does not perform well in.

Regards,

Alan
Thanks for the detailed input. Was considering these until you mentioned the poor deep sand performance, deal breaker for me.

I did get the maxxis buckshot 764s and are beast at rock crawling. They feel gummy almost like a slick or drag radial.

They are better at floating than lighter street tires in the sand while the lugs act as paddles rather than digging in. I got them in load range C for that purpose tho.

Will try them out in the mud as soon as our rainy season starts.

Other tires I considered were gateway buckshot mudders, interco irok and almost any other interco tire, Yokohama Geolander mt+.

If toyota didn't limit me to a 17 inch rim, I would have very happily gotten the 32x10.5x15C bias ply gateway buckshot mudders or irok nd 32x10.5x15C.

But maxxis came thru with the next best thing (for me) with a 32x10.5x17C.

20160724_194235.jpg

Hi all,

When I wrote "deep sand" I was thinking like sand dunes; aggressive tires can dig real quick in the soft stuff if one is not careful!

Looking forward to hearing more about how the Maxxis Buckshot 764s work for you.

Regards,

Alan

Thanks for the detailed input. Was considering these until you mentioned the poor deep sand performance, deal breaker for me.

I did get the maxxis buckshot 764s and are beast at rock crawling. They feel gummy almost like a slick or drag radial.

They are better at floating than lighter street tires in the sand while the lugs act as paddles rather than digging in. I got them in load range C for that purpose tho.

Will try them out in the mud as soon as our rainy season starts.

Other tires I considered were gateway buckshot mudders, interco irok and almost any other interco tire, Yokohama Geolander mt+.

If toyota didn't limit me to a 17 inch rim, I would have very happily gotten the 32x10.5x15C bias ply gateway buckshot mudders or irok nd 32x10.5x15C.

But maxxis came thru with the next best thing (for me) with a 32x10.5x17C.

View attachment 1298605

Last edited:
Company called pitbul tires makes a few mud tires in larger sizes never used them but it's an option to look at. Seen them used on a few builds on mechanic shows

Mud tires will never be great sand tires.

For pure mud the question is how much power do you have. If you have a lot - cut boggers are hard to beat. If you have a little, simex jungle trekkers are a pretty solid choice. Almost any tire can be made into a good mud tire with a groover. I have TSL bias ply on my trail rig. Horrible tires on the street. Pretty hard to beat in the mud.

For a small size, Irok NDs are probably as good as it gets for all around tires that are good in most mud situations. Michelin XMLs are pretty sold, but limited to bigger sizes.

Mud tires will never be great sand tires.

For pure mud the question is how much power do you have. If you have a lot - cut boggers are hard to beat. If you have a little, simex jungle trekkers are a pretty solid choice. Almost any tire can be made into a good mud tire with a groover. I have TSL bias ply on my trail rig. Horrible tires on the street. Pretty hard to beat in the mud.

For a small size, Irok NDs are probably as good as it gets for all around tires that are good in most mud situations. Michelin XMLs are pretty sold, but limited to bigger sizes.
Thanks jetboy. My first choice was the irok nd but was not available in my size or load range.

I ended up with the maxxis buckshot 764 and couldn't be any happier. 265x70x17c. Great in the sand, shreds the mud, excellent on rocks, and very decent on the street.

I've heard so many people are happy about those making a comeback.

I'm not sure how you can class the Maxxis tire in with swampers for a pure mud tire. We have mud bog races here and I doubt they would even make it to the starting line.
Boggers are a popular tire.

I'd put these, the Buckshot Mudders, in the same class as Swamper.

gateway-buckshot-mudders-bias-ply.jpg

Agreed, but those are NOT the maxxis buckshot by any means.

What I see from Maxxis down here are hard as rock compound that wears badly ( ironically ) on road .. never had the chance to test competition compound version .. and we that see a lot of mud .. there is nothing like swampers SX / TSL / boggers

If you can get the Simex tires in your area that would appear to be a real mud tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom