Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LED turn signals :)

4rPwRo4l.jpg

How hard was it to drill those on the radius, that's some thick steel...

Been following your build thread since day 1. Impressed at every turn. Love to check it out in person some day.

Thanks, appreciate it! Well next time you come to CA for the Rubicon, you know where to find me :cheers:

How hard was it to drill those on the radius, that's some thick steel...

3/16" thick. Wasn't bad at all. Step drill bit and cutting oil makes quick work of it.

Yup, DIY kit. I can weld a little, but thank goodness that I some friends that are much better and are excited to help build it. :)
You have friends... :eek: only kidding no flame wars ok.. truce?

Jose bumper looks great bro, you should have kept the bar though.

You have friends... :eek: only kidding no flame wars ok.. truce?

Jose bumper looks great bro, you should have kept the bar though.

Thanks man! You don't think it would have looked too busy with the stinger and light bar? This bumper is so compact that I feel they would have sat too close together making it look like too much was going on.

No sir, I think the bar would have finished it off. But its your rig. Looks good either way I just like the look of a bull bar myself.

High clearance you say?! Check this thing out. After trimming the core support and everything that hangs down, you can see the whole 37" tire from the front :smokin:

Check out the difference before/after cutting

bsqCe3Th.jpg

Also added some LED running lights to cap off the frame. Spent all day yesterday grinding down the welds. It's officially ready for paint!

Y0A1phSh.jpg

Trying to learn from fabmaster @Booger weldz about precision grinding. This stuff is hard. Takes an artist's touch. Too easy to screw it up and make it look wavy.

wNQJvD2h.jpg

AC dryer is an issue with all these offroad bumpers. But with this one, the issue is exaggerated by 300% since you have to cut everything if you away, if you want the install to look good. My solution? Tuck it up behind the turn signal. Problem is it won't fit. But since the turn signals are covered, you won't be using them anyway.

So I trimmed off the back

JOa8yqoh.jpg

Pushed the dryer as far up as it would go

9lsxPNDh.jpg

Blacked out the turn signals and voila! No more dryer

lG5szHWh.jpg

Wicked :cool:

for trimming the core support did you basically just draw a line to match the bottom of the bumper and cut it out of there? Any gotcha's back in there?

Wicked :cool:

for trimming the core support did you basically just draw a line to match the bottom of the bumper and cut it out of there? Any gotcha's back in there?

Pretty much. I just trimmed flush with the body mount, went straight up and across, underneath the turn signal valance. It's easier if you remove that whole lower valance, more room to work. Driver's side is a pain because of the transmission fluid lines. Gotta be careful not to hit them with the grinder.

You can see the white line I marked here next to the body mount

lG5szHWh.jpg

So now with this fancy new bumper you can really see the difference in ground clearance vs the back. Thinking of chopping the wings. Mostly for looks I guess. Since the back of the bumper can go no higher. It's already flush with the frame rails.

And you could really see how the rear end is sagging. Need some new springs!

SnUR0U4h.jpg

So now with this fancy new bumper you can really see the difference in ground clearance vs the back. Thinking of chopping the wings. Mostly for looks I guess. Since the back of the bumper can go no higher. It's already flush with the frame rails.

And you could really see how the rear end is sagging. Need some new springs!

THat is a pretty hysterical pic.

:doh:

RUBICON PART 4

Sometime during Sunday a huge wildfire started in the Sierras. Unfortunate, but we got incredible views and skies on the way out

15263786432_c3761790db_h.jpg

15077607697_82dc24d30c_h.jpg

Stopped for a late lunch and started to check the damage.

Passenger side slider was jacked. Bent the tubing upwards

15263784752_36e9f98015_h.jpg

Driver's side was a bit worse. Bent and flexed all the way up into the body. Look at my freaking rocker. DOH!

15077474140_ed88ff7c4f_h.jpg

And finally made it back onto pavement! Exited Loon Lake just as the sun was setting. The wildfire mixed with the clouds and sunset made for one of the most amazing sunsets I'd seen in a long time. It cast a dramatic glow over the entire lake and mountains. What a way to end the trip :cheers:

15077606488_3364e8d8aa_h.jpg

15077606108_b1bc741950_h.jpg

15263782052_b9418aad1c_h.jpg

15241164236_f6e6d1994a_h.jpg

15263780512_73b416e446_h.jpg

15261076811_0668b2fd3c_h.jpg

That was a pretty wild fire! First hand. The pictures you got from it are amazing!

IMG_5495.JPG

You should do a comparo with the aoe vs labs bar. Weight/angles and stuff. Just looking at the photos it seems the aoe was tucked pretty high but photos vs real life are never the same haha

You should do a comparo with the aoe vs labs bar. Weight/angles and stuff. Just looking at the photos it seems the aoe was tucked pretty high but photos vs real life are never the same haha

Yeah the AOE is a fairly high clearance bumper. And to be honest, clearance is a non-issue in the front. I did it mostly for looks. AOE just started looking too bulky for me. The real problem is the rear. There's easy way to increase ground clearance. Most bumpers are flush with the rear frame rails already.

But weight difference I do know. AOE is about 116lbs from what I remember. The 4x4Labs came in at 74lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom