Ever seen a factory PTO on a 80? Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the quality of electric winches available now, these are less useful. Cool AF, but less useful.

Haven't seen one in an 80. Some early Aus delivered 80s had the removable plate.
A buddy had one in a 75series. Was powerful strong, and you can change winch speed by changing gears in the transmission.
Had its limitations.

PTO winches are great if you need to pull a log or something a long way up a hill, but that's about it. They were a pretty common 'option' on Early Model Bronco's and I know some early Cruisers had them.

But they require that your engine be running and frankly you don't have a lot of fine control over them. With electric if you just need to 'bump' the winch you can. I would like having PTO capability for other reasons, but not for winching if 'recovery' is the main purpose for it.

I think of them as a 'work winch' and not so much a recovery winch.

Tons of reason why anything but a PTO is best but the cool factor is #1 for an 80 series with a PTO.

The one pictured above will get a 100% rebuild looking brand new for a specially equipped Cruiser.

How do you think it would be possible for a PTO driven off the transfer case to work with the transmission in neutral?
Magnets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom