Estimate Cost of Damage? (Pics Inside) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a 100 series. Wondering if anyone has an idea what the ballpark cost to repair the damages on the exterior body would be on this.

Seems like owner thought the LC was a Rav-4 and could make a small gap. Who knows.

DB66F4FC-0B0D-4A60-95AC-386F85528EBB.jpeg

071410F5-95FC-49E2-BBA7-3F8352E17F3D.jpeg

C1B0E0C7-7760-44ED-BF25-DC061DCA6348.jpeg

This one may not just "buff right out". So, a lot. But it just adds character, so leave it be... Nice conversation starter, too... :)

is it just the rear door?

Photos aren't close enough to tell for sure but if damage is into the lower door pillar- then it gets pricey if that needs straightening out, especially if the door doesn't close right. Here's a used skin not sure if its color matched, its stripped so you'd have to swap over all the internal parts from existing door but gives an idea if you want to bondo what you have or replace with a used part:

Get closer pics but from what I can see.
1 hr repair on the fender
2 hr repair on the front pass door
6-8 hr repair on the rear door or simply get a used door
2 hr repair on the quarter
R&I belt and body side mouldings, tail light, half drop rear bumper, door handles
R&R body side moulding rt rear door
Dirty blend on the quarter to save some cost.

About $2k to $2.5k CAD to do it properly, probably cheaper down there.

Hard to tell from the pics. Assuming the damage is cosmetic I'd replace the right rear door and roll on. You wont feel near as bad about adding pinstripes on tight trails! If you're not looking for a rig to build and wheel it might be better to pass on it.

Unless you know a body and paint shop, I’d pass on it if you’re looking for an aesthetically correct cruiser. If you’re looking for an adventure mobile, use it to get price down and have fun with it. It’s definitely beyond some friendly trail pinstriping and I’d guess it will cost a few thousand to repair. May be tough to match paint, as well.

I had similar damage on all 4 doors and two rear quarter panels because I drive mine off road like I stole it :cool: . Most local bodyshops just want to put new panels on and charge big dollars. Much cheaper to find a replacement door (about $300) and replace it yourself (or have someone do it). Of course this is only relevant if the center pillar is not compromised.

You're in Socal. From experience living down there, if you're not a gringo, TJ can do some decent and good work for a discount. Also, East LA shops that do great work, you'd be able to get that done for under $1k. My estimate is $500-1k based on previous work i've gotten done for the east LA region.

I'd replace with a used door in the same color code and call it a day. ~$400 for the door and maybe toss a body guy $100 to stick it on.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don’t plan on driving this car hard. I have an FJ for me to go on trips/camping. The 100 would be to replace my wife’s car since we just had another child recently. And I’ve just loved the 80/100 series since I was a kid. Just want to have a dang good, dependable, sturdy car for my growing family.

The seller just sent more photos of the damage. They purchased it this way so they don’t know how it happened, but also says the door operates without any issues. The tape deck cover seems to be broken, I guess I’ll just have to use Bluetooth lol.

Seems like for me replacing both doors would be the best option, and some minor work on the other panels/bumper.

Also no rust underneath. Guess I’ll need to have a PPI and see if it checks out.

EBB22A56-42B5-4433-8B57-5BE6911D3603.jpeg

2B829481-3ABD-4B37-826D-3B23A98E6846.jpeg

4BCEAB10-BC18-4239-A723-C18A3A8B1202.jpeg

046EF1E9-7C4E-488F-A9F1-B0C346030FFD.jpeg

B2E5B454-94D8-404B-9D89-0BC733DA97EA.jpeg

unless there is a significant discount in price due to the damage I would keep looking. Rear door, front door repair, new moldings, rear bumper (or repair), rear quarter is banged up and who knows if there is anything damaged underneath.

IMO I would pass and find something in better condition.

I would ask for a $3K discount and find a matching color door at the junkyard if the current door is water proof.

This one may not just "buff right out". So, a lot. But it just adds character, so leave it be... Nice conversation starter, too... :)

I wrote this later, but it would be for my wife, and I think she'd give me the stink eye if I spent thousands of dollars for a car with huge gashes on the side haha

Photos aren't close enough to tell for sure but if damage is into the lower door pillar- then it gets pricey if that needs straightening out, especially if the door doesn't close right. Here's a used skin not sure if its color matched, its stripped so you'd have to swap over all the internal parts from existing door but gives an idea if you want to bondo what you have or replace with a used part:

Thanks for that idea. I'm going to have to get some estimates so I can get a better idea of how much to discount. He's asking 14k (250k miles) Two owners, and and one accident that left the damage. Maybe 10k would be a good offer. Another 3-4k to fix all the damage

I had similar damage from a light t-bone, rear pass door pressed in and most damage on quarter panel. Final tab to other person's insurance was just under $6k, not much in parts costs, most in labor and paint.

Was there any structural damage? Water leaking from rain?

You're in Socal. From experience living down there, if you're not a gringo, TJ can do some decent and good work for a discount. Also, East LA shops that do great work, you'd be able to get that done for under $1k. My estimate is $500-1k based on previous work i've gotten done for the east LA region.

I know a body shop near by. When I take my FJ to get worked on tomorrow I'll ask him for an estimate.

unless there is a significant discount in price due to the damage I would keep looking. Rear door, front door repair, new moldings, rear bumper (or repair), rear quarter is banged up and who knows if there is anything damaged underneath.

IMO I would pass and find something in better condition.

I'm thinking of asking 10k, but the guy told me he's in no hurry to sell. Maybe I'll just have to keep looking

I wrote this later, but it would be for my wife, and I think she'd give me the stink eye if I spent thousands of dollars for a car with huge gashes on the side haha

Thanks for that idea. I'm going to have to get some estimates so I can get a better idea of how much to discount. He's asking 14k (250k miles) Two owners, and and one accident that left the damage. Maybe 10k would be a good offer. Another 3-4k to fix all the damage

Was there any structural damage? Water leaking from rain?

I know a body shop near by. When I take my FJ to get worked on tomorrow I'll ask him for an estimate.

I'm thinking of asking 10k, but the guy told me he's in no hurry to sell. Maybe I'll just have to keep looking
10k for that in Socal is a screaming bargain. I think a fair price would be 15k if its a 03-07 with 160-200k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom