Ernboto’s FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This past week I finally got around to a few long overdue electrical projects. On was to install a new stereo and one to install an auxiliary panel control button. The stereo install ended up in me running new speaker wires to the front passenger door because the factory wires had broken at the hinge. So while I was at it I decided to finish installing my lock actuators for an after market remote lock kit.
BC67B5C0-3402-429D-96CA-439FF05B4844.jpeg

These jobs always look worse than they are at the midway point.

A6D47D19-471F-4B3B-85C1-1009A2FF22B4.jpeg

The rear actuators ended up being a bit more challenging than I expected because of the horizontal linkage. Eventually I settled on a plan of attack and designed some brackets to get the job done.

E845FDC5-4535-496F-AB29-B2AE2FC67C50.jpeg

I think they turned out great and should last the test of time.

Shoutout to @ToyotaMatt for the factory style connectors to finish the job properly on the factory style button.
image.jpg

Today I decided that I deserved some upgraded speakers. The front passenger side was starting to distort and rattle so it was time. After researching options on Mud and reviews on Crutchfield I decided on A set of Kicker CSC5 5 1/4”. As many have noted, you need to fit some pretty shallow speakers in the stock front door location to avoid interfering with the window regulator. A previous owner was not very careful with the stereo install and this little detail escaped them which made it hard to roll the windows up and down. As you can see space is right in the door.
97A0F992-C7B4-45CD-8C72-75429DB7A293.jpeg

Another piece of advice I was glad I followed was purchasing some speaker adapters from @TheNeek which made installation very easy. They fit the odd factory holes spacing and push the speakers out to give you maximum clearance. I also added some sound deadening material around the speakers to increase their efficiency.
A8FC95F0-37FE-4DD1-9C5E-5493951AD0FB.jpeg

I am ver pleased with the Boss stereo, you can tilt it towards the driver and had CarPlay for music and navigation. I’m a happy camper.

Even in Northern CA winter brings the rain. And with the rain comes annoying sticky windows so it was time to address them. After reading the thread from @Super77 I decided to give the bulk weatherstrip a shot.

34BFEA5A-9BAC-4DC8-9DF5-64380E76181C.jpeg

I was not able to get the front doors done without removing the door cards so I could guide rubber into the front channel. Silicone lube really helped here. Some small snips at the corners helped work the rubber in tight.

5DC763BE-4638-4DBD-ABB4-016B8B2B32B5.jpeg

The rear doors were a different story, I was able to inch the stripping down without removing the door cards, I just need to lube and occasionally work the window up and down.

The results were worth the effort. The windows roll up and down with a lot less effort, wet or dry.

While I was at it, I decided it was time to install some interior lighting upgrades from Odd Iron Offroad
5B5F0338-5D91-4AF0-9188-C124F71C25B7.jpeg

D7466019-4722-41E8-9B2F-5FD812DA1CBE.jpeg

The kit is well designed and the results are amazing. I had previously used some simple LED replacement bulbs but they didn’t last. These are much brighter and hopefully last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom