Builds ERG80's 1997 T100 SR5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

280k+ The tires and wheels are on. What a difference between these fresh skinnies and the old bald cruiser tires. Initial impression is I love them and call them Skip Leg Day.

F96D7660-D8CF-454C-8F22-44AEC33DD107.jpeg

FF3A1C00-767A-4826-B3F4-B32BF715CBFC.jpeg

E8F196BC-06CF-4893-A9D7-B577A9A2BFBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Those look pretty narrow, but good. I've been really happy with 245/75R16's still pretty narrow, but same diameter basically as the 10.5x31 it came with originally.

Time to pay some attention to the t100. Over the weekend I ordered supplies to refresh the yellowed headlights and ordered a new 5 gallon pail of gear oil for the trans, xfer, and diffs. I also flushed the brake and clutch systems with fresh brake fluid from my garden sprayer pressure bleeder. Lastly I greased the drive shafts.

The truck also got ran through the car wash over the weekend. It still needs a good hand wash and wax.
And I ordered a new aftermarket grill and mounting clips. The factory grill has some cracked mounting pieces I discovered when looking around trying to figure out how to remove the headlights. Hopefully the replacement is not total junk. I couldn’t find a new grill from Toyota. :-(

Last edited:
I refinished the lights and am not very happy with the results. The krylon paint did not work well at all and I had to sand off the clear and competely redo one light. It took longer to sand off the clear than to prep the original light so I was disappointed in the waste of time. I was also hoping it would be less foggy looking but at least The yellow oxidation is gone. I ended up using some rust oleum clear on the second light and it turned out better.

The new grill fit pretty well and looks good. It definitely doesn’t fit as well as the Toyota grill. The sides around the side marker turn signals flare out and that part gets pulled in when you screw the side markers in. I think it will end up cracking the plastic after a while but we will see.

Pics:
Before
After
Grill comparison. They’re the same size even though the gray one looks huge!

7C994B2E-3F67-401D-BA47-53B434AC55FD.jpeg

1B693944-EF00-465A-B893-B921873F7C38.jpeg

EB76D6E7-AEC7-407B-BA15-5E53AFA4ABCE.jpeg

Last edited:
I had to replace my grille years ago after a deer strike. I can't remember the brand. I think I could still get a Toyota chrome one then, but it was not worth the cost. I had the same fitment issues, it was good, but not perfect. Surprising I have had no cracking or failure of it, and that has been like 7-8 years.

My original lights I buffed out really nice and put some extra thick clear 3M film on them, like the clear bra stuff. Did my hood and fender leading edges too at that time. They were holding up really well till the deer strike. I replaced them with aftermarket then, Eagle brand as I recall, same reason, I could get both for the cost of one Toyota. They have stayed clear, but the light pattern is not as nice on them.

I had to replace my grille years ago after a deer strike. I can't remember the brand. I think I could still get a Toyota chrome one then, but it was not worth the cost. I had the same fitment issues, it was good, but not perfect. Surprising I have had no cracking or failure of it, and that has been like 7-8 years.

My original lights I buffed out really nice and put some extra thick clear 3M film on them, like the clear bra stuff. Did my hood and fender leading edges too at that time. They were holding up really well till the deer strike. I replaced them with aftermarket then, Eagle brand as I recall, same reason, I could get both for the cost of one Toyota. They have stayed clear, but the light pattern is not as nice on them.
I buffed the headlights using sandpaper grit from 200 grit to 3000 and I still wasn’t happy with the “polish” after clear coat. At least It’s better than before.

What did you use to refinish yours?

One of those little headlight buffing kits for a drill. The compound is dried into the scotchbrite looking pads. You get it wet and buff, trying not to get the plastic hot, it makes the compound activate. I think I final buffed them with some buffing compound and polish. Came with several pads in the box. I did a Subaru Forrester with them too, did good. I have a little cloud on the edges of my Tundra lights I need to tackle. I think I will cover them with the 3M stuff too. They look pretty susceptible to a rock impact. One of the turn signal lenses on the Tundra has a rock star in it. The 3M film in the heavier mill thickness should absorb a rock impact.

I stuck some new higher performance (shorter life) Sylvania bulbs in last night. They have a whiter light output than the kioto bulbs I took out. The kiotos will be on stand by when these new ones burn out.

New bulb on one side old on the other.

96A9FE44-9E35-4597-B5BA-62C4012F257E.jpeg

Depends on hours driven, but daily driving the "whiter" Sylvania bulbs lasted me about 1 year to the day before one or both going out. I gave up on the higher output bulbs. I went back to standard colored ones and they last for years. I did like the extra light, but for twice the cost and a fraction of life I got tired of changing them in the dark and cold in the Walmart parking lot. Maybe they have gotten better, that was several years ago that I tried them.

New to me head unit I can use with a backup cam. It’s a Sony xav-ax200.

C6872E67-9CB9-4A2F-8F8D-36A0D94ECDC0.jpeg

I put some vent shades on it so I can keep the windows cracked on hot summer days when it rains.

I removed the bed bar I made years ago because it interfered with installing the camper top. So I would have a tie down/accessory mounting location I trimmed and bolted in some leftover utilitrac a friend gave me from his truck. Most of the trac he gave me was used as part of a roof rack I made for my 80. The leftovers fit almost perfectly in the bed.

I’m making some trac anchor points out of McMaster carr parts.

70E4EFE2-33E2-4E5F-83EB-343E3B1E1052.jpeg

EAA3AFEC-EF73-43CC-8042-27B769344EB4.jpeg

4FCC4A56-CF6F-45C3-924B-E132C864E17C.jpeg

I noticed the reverse cam on the radio was working intermittently and also the reverse lights. I thought it was a bad ground and spent way too much time trying to fix it. The issue ended up being the reverse switch on the trans. I replaced it and all seems to be good.

I made a permanent home for the usb cable extension for the radio.

I also bent up a little aluminum bracket to hold my cb. I used one of wits end “dash holes”. It worked perfectly and is solid.

IMG_1234.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

I removed the dash cup holder and am going to try to make a phone mount for the hole. I installed a bh3d console cup holder so I would have a place for my big gulps. This is made for an 80 series and needed a little sanding to make fit.

IMG_2009.jpeg

IMG_2010.jpeg

The truck hauled kayaks this weekend so @tooofast2002 and I could do some fishing and paddle up to Burgess Falls. The weather was perfect.

70888672272__AA5C2609-BFA7-45FB-BE92-521F1A3B95CE.jpeg

I put some vent shades on it so I can keep the windows cracked on hot summer days when it rains.

I removed the bed bar I made years ago because it interfered with installing the camper top. So I would have a tie down/accessory mounting location I trimmed and bolted in some leftover utilitrac a friend gave me from his truck. Most of the trac he gave me was used as part of a roof rack I made for my 80. The leftovers fit almost perfectly in the bed.

I’m making some trac anchor points out of McMaster carr parts.

View attachment 3263685

View attachment 3263686

View attachment 3263687

Awesome sticker collection. 👊👊

Awesome sticker collection. 👊👊
Thank you. They all have some history. I especially enjoyed getting parts from that cool kid who sent the pink one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom