Builds ERG80's 1997 T100 SR5 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the protectant film was really key to holding the buff on mine, saved the road debris and wear to the faces too for the few years I had it that way.

The bfgoodrich commercial truck tires I put on July 2012 have 75,000 miles on them. They’ve got a little tread left but will need to be replaced soon.

This is a really cool thread, thank you for sharing all of this.

I borrowed my "dad's" T100 when we returned to the USA last year... got to drive it again for some time. Gave it back to him though and I miss it. I still love your thread here...

I forgot to log that I used the T100 for a kayaking trip August 23rd. The truck performed perfectly. While floating we saw a bald eagle swoop down and grab a fish. We didn’t catch any fish ourselves though. I left a fishing pole in the bed of the truck and the front half of the pole flew out when I took it through an auto wash. Didn’t notice until we were at the river getting ready to float off. Gah!

3D1B0038-30BB-4BBF-9544-38B1EB27C693.jpeg

45C731FA-EAB0-4120-932F-719C03E60D68.jpeg

The bfgoodrich commercial truck tires I put on July 2012 have 75,000 miles on them. They’ve got a little tread left but will need to be replaced soon.
Hey @ERG80 , what is the weight rating of your BFG commercial tires, and with that in mind, how do they ride on your T100? Your usage of the truck matches very closely with how I use my own 97 SR5. I ran LT C-rated Wild Country XTX tires from Les Schwab but found them to be a little harsh on the lightweight T100, so when they wore out I went back to P26570R16 Bridgestone AT's and I actually prefer the softer ride, even on forest service roads. The truck drives and steers noticeably better. I haven't had any problems with flats or lack of toughness when on dirt with the Bridgestones. It's a risk, I know, but crossing my fingers so far.

Hey @ERG80 , what is the weight rating of your BFG commercial tires, and with that in mind, how do they ride on your T100? Your usage of the truck matches very closely with how I use my own 97 SR5. I ran LT C-rated Wild Country XTX tires from Les Schwab but found them to be a little harsh on the lightweight T100, so when they wore out I went back to P26570R16 Bridgestone AT's and I actually prefer the softer ride, even on forest service roads. The truck drives and steers noticeably better. I haven't had any problems with flats or lack of toughness when on dirt with the Bridgestones. It's a risk, I know, but crossing my fingers so far.

Im pretty sure they’re load range e and ride like it. Looks like the newer ones are range d so may be better. I’ve got some used tires I’ll throw on this winter and run them until they’re bald. Then I’m probably going to try cooper a/t’s in the same size when it’s time to replace. I think they’re range d. Most of the pizza cutter tires are d or e.

I put the old cruiser wheels and tires back on today. They’ll last through the winter and then I’ll start to think about replacements for the bfgoodrich tires.

642C1E5B-2173-4384-BCDA-AA7E50E4F99B.jpeg

Those 80 series wheels complement the T100 well. Interested in what tires you end up with. It’s my observation that there seem to be very few C rated tires available for a 16 inch wheel. I would like to try a BFG K02 on my T100 but they are only available in E which is about a 55 lb tire! I would love to hear how others are doing with heavier tires on their T100s.

I have ran several sets now in my many years and miles of ownership. My original rims were gone when I got the truck, the PO had put new tires on it with some 2002 Sequoia 16" aluminium rims. I now run some steel 16" rims that would have been the spare tire for 4runners and such, they are the plain steel with the multiple little holes around the diameter, like the FJ Cruiser steelies, but they are 16" and have the correct backspacing for the T100, mine are painted silver. The deep inset these trucks take and the flat rough surface of the aluminum rims trapped mud and always had the tires out of balance. I live on 5 miles of gravel road, so mud season is a real thing and you get tired of having to get the mud out of the rims all winter. The steel rims do marginally better on the mud issue, primarily it is the rears that are the problem. The gravel road eats tires faster than just highway driving. I also need real all terrain traction to deal with snow and mud.

When I got the truck it has some Les Schwab brand tires on it, 265/75R16 and 2002 Sequoia aluminum rims. They were load range D. They did okay, but I did not like the larger diameter much, they would rub on the front wheel well in hard articulated turns, or with build up of ice/mud.

Next set was some Firestone Destination AT tires, dropped down in size to a 245/75R16, these were load range C. Excellent tire for the most part, very smooth, load range was correct for weight of truck, got 50,000 miles out of them, would have worked for another summer, but changed them before winter hit that year. These tires were great on the highway, great on dry roads, great on wet roads, but lacked traction in deep snow and mud, ice was okay. Besides being the most expensive tires I have ever run, (you get what you pay for) I would have run them again, but I missed the snow traction in the winter.

Next I installed the steel rims above with a set of Wild Country XTX Sport tires, 245/75R16, Range C. These were great tires, put a set on our FZJ80 also (265/75R16 C) and they do great in mud and snow. Decent highway, and mileage was about the norm for me and the gravel roads, was at about 35,000 miles when I replaced them before hunting season two years ago.

I wanted another set of the Wild Country, but my tire guy said he couldn't get them anymore ???? Was in a rush, so picked out some cheaper tires with similar pattern. These are Kenda Kleever AT tires, 245 size again. I ordered load range C, but after they were mounted and I got home and re-torqued lugnuts I noticed they were E range tires. Tire guy said it did not make much difference, run them at lower PSI just like other tires, wont matter. Well, it kind of does, I find them harsh, even at lower pressures, and they are noisy. They are wearing like iron though, but due to some alignment issues I have fought for years, I always get cupping on the front, even with semi regular rotations the pattern has been set, and now they are really noisy and I can't get them to wear off. They just thump away down the highway, but they were pretty hummy when new too.

As for gas mileage, I have had a pretty big decrease the last two years, is it the heavy tires???, or the 274,000 miles and tight valves and original fuel injectors??? Not sure on that yet. I would like to do readjust all my valves and have the injectors cleaned, but just maybe it is the tires. Has dropped me from a very consistent 20+MPG to 17.5 to 18 MPG, can't seem to get it back. Even did plugs and new O2 sensor, no change.

I'm also running some cheap aggressive AT 235/85R16 E on my FJ40. It has also taken a hit on mileage compared to 20+ years of ownership, and the rubber overdrive did not help it any. The extra clearance with stock suspension is nice though.

I have the original rim and spare under my T100 still. They were a mild AT pattern. Goodyear Wrangler 31x10.5 in a load range B. Probably special tires for the off road tire package on the T100 back then. The 245/75R16 is very close in diameter to this tire. New Tacos and such from a few years ago ran the P265/70R16 tires which are also about a 31 inch tire. In reality probably all the tire anyone really needs, but P rated tires are softer rubber with less tread depth typically and my gravel road shreds them.

Sorry long winded, but thats my impressions after logging 156K miles on this truck under my care. Problem with tires is they last for years, I regret the Kenda tires every day and will for many more days till they are dead. If you are shopping, seek out the best AT tread you can in a load range C for the 16" rims, I think that is the best combo.

Wow, that's a ton of information, and very useful. Your experiences pretty much align with mine. If I lived on a gravel road, I would definitely not run P rated tires either, but since I live on nice pavement, and my gravel time is limited to recreation in the Olympic and Cascade Mountains, then P rated tires are a decent tradeoff for their great road manners. I have owned my T100 since 2000 and it how has 177K on the clock. I measure the mileage on every tank, and I have never gotten over 18.5 mpg, ever. Not even on long sections of flat freeway in eastern WA. I drive conservatively too. I fluxuate between about 16mpg in the winter and 18 in the summer. I maintain the truck impeccably, have stock suspension, and P265 70R16 Bridgestone AT's. So I wouldn't feel too bad about the mileage numbers you are getting right now with your heavy tires. Thanks again.

@MoCoNative
@AntFarm
Do both of you have auto transmissions or manual? I’ve got manual and got about 21+mpg on the highway with the 215/85r16s. Driving home with the heavier and wider cruiser wheels and tires I got about 19mpg on the highway.

Wow, now I'm wondering if I've been doing something wrong for the last 20 years. That's incredible mileage for a T100. I have a manual transmission like yours. Perhaps those narrow tires are helping you cheat the wind a little bit. I have run a Raider canopy since I bought the truck, but mileage doesn't change with having the canopy on or off. The only explanation I can provide is that I live in very hilly country and cannot drive anywhere without negotiating considerable hills. Even on the freeways around here I need to drop it down into 4th regularly to climb hills at 65mph. So maybe that's part of it. The nice part is that loaded up with kids, dogs, and camping gear doesn't seem to change the mileage much.

Wow, now I'm wondering if I've been doing something wrong for the last 20 years. That's incredible mileage for a T100. I have a manual transmission like yours. Perhaps those narrow tires are helping you cheat the wind a little bit. I have run a Raider canopy since I bought the truck, but mileage doesn't change with having the canopy on or off. The only explanation I can provide is that I live in very hilly country and cannot drive anywhere without negotiating considerable hills. Even on the freeways around here I need to drop it down into 4th regularly to climb hills at 65mph. So maybe that's part of it. The nice part is that loaded up with kids, dogs, and camping gear doesn't seem to change the mileage much.

The little pizza cutter tires definitely helped me and Your hills will hurt your mileage. I bet that’s it.

5 Speed manual on mine. My biggest gripe with the first gen Tundras, no manual on the V8, been looking at upsizing to the double cab, but just hate auto trannies.

20 MPG was my norm for years, squeezed out 26 MPG on a long trip early in ownership. Speed is one factor, terrain another. Although I'm at 6200 feet for home turf elevation. If I keep it in the 55 to 65 MPH realm it helps.

I have a soft bed cover I use sometimes, just the flat style that rolls up. I also removed the front drive plates and put on locking hubs. Neither of these items seemed to change the mileage.

Pulling 4000 pounds of camper with either my T100 or FZJ80, they both get about 10 MPG, or worse if the wind is bad, although the bigger displacement of the 1FZE handles the hills better, but gear selection sucks on the 80.

FWIW my 2WD 5VZ manual T gets about 23 on average. I'd managed almost 30 on my last tank. Most of my routes keep me at almost exactly 2500 RPM.
I am running 31/10.5R15 BFG KO2s on stock 4.11s, which gets me a little bit of a rubber overdrive, and my Scangauge shows me barely tipping into my TPS while cruising.

I had some grey paint so used it to refresh the factory wheels and I picked up some new tires today. Cooper Discovery AT3 LT 215/85r16 mini pizza cutters. I really like this size. I’ll put them on the truck in the next few days.
I hope they last as long at the bfgoodrich Tire’s I had before.

2E445FC1-5803-41C7-8B97-C732442F37C2.jpeg

C64D9CC5-5227-4CE1-9B56-7F799613D3E8.jpeg

B5E703BA-4BA9-4C49-8D28-14CF89D58E20.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom