Engine Temp Gauge Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Engine temperature gauge on original cluster goes to cold while the engine is on. All other gauges are working correctly, and power is hooked up according to the wiring diagram. Any suggestions?

Should note that i installed a new thermostat and temp sensor. Engine temp after driving is showing in normal range with thermal gun.

Do you have the right sender for your meter? Just because its new doesn't mean its good. A volt ohm meter should show resistance change on the sender as the water heats up, if that is in the right range then its wiring or more likely the meter.

It's always a good plan to supply to provide year model and market when asking for help.

Disconnect the battery, pull the gauge cluster and look at the connector/contacts.

I think there are people here that re-build meters. The oem manuals most likely have some sort of test procedure to check if its working correctly. My 72's oil pressure gauge has never work correctly since I got it in 82. I put in a direct read gauge after changing the sending unit didn't fix anything.

71 FJ40 US specs. Correct sender for the year and engine(F). Bought from Crusier Corps, and confirmed correct part number. Getting power to the sender and resistance is changing. When I turn the engine off, the needle on gauge goes towards warm.
mine does this too. I am curious to what you find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom