Engine-Swapped 2006 LX470 - Purchase Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening, all, my first real post! I'm looking to make the jump into a 100 Series for the wife and baby (however it's destined to be my overlander project ASAP). I've attempted my due diligence in searching, as I've been a lurker here for a while and no stranger to the decorum of the forums. Therefore I humbly request advice and guidance from the experts here!

The candidate is a 2006 LX470 - 203,600-ish miles, with engine swap occurring at 202,500 due to blown head gasket. They are asking $19,900 currently. Owner states the hose on the radiator developed a crack and lost coolant over time without his knowledge (he's in his 60's, and it appears he relies upon the shop for maintenance) His son-in-law was driving when it over-heated, and the damage was done. Owner did not want to repair, and decided to spend and replace it with a 72,000 mile 4.7 2UZ-FE.

I have requested the information on who did the swap (Lexus, Toyota, independent), what the donor vehicle was and what happened to it, is there a warranty on the work and engine, etc. Did they go ahead and perform the timing belt and water pump replacement?

I have the extensive checklist from Slee and what numerous others here at Mud have stated are the most important things to look for on a high mileage 100 Series.

What might I be missing on the Q&A on this? Am I rolling the dice if I can't get the donor motor's history? Is the price right? I'd appreciate any guidance or help! Thank you in advance and sorry for the novel!

I would be concerned that they are selling it 1,100 miles post engine swap. Have all the bugs been worked out? If it had 20k miles post swap, I might feel more at ease.

If it was me, at that price, I wouldn't purchase it. Lots of risk. However, it may be a good deal in your part of the country.

In terms of difficulty for mechanics, engine swaps are pretty a easy deal. It's not technically very hard or risky.

I'd much rather take a low mileage foreign motor than one that's been rebuilt in any way from overheating as a rebuild and the tolerances associated and such are more critical and takes a skilled technician.

Take her for a test drive. If it checks out, has good power, no odd vibrations, or CELs, than it's most likely just fine. Today's ECU's are very thorough in recognizing issues.

Though it is suspicious about them selling it 1,100 miles post swap. Unless it's just a confidence thing rather than a real issue for the original owner.

You stated 2UZ-fe, but did not say VVTI which is a big part of the price range.

If it had a high mileage engine, it wouldn't concern me as much as mileage on rest of vehicle. ~$20K asking seem rich for 200K miles.

Thank you for the replies. I'll be thorough in checking everything out.

Concerning the price, I was unsure of the way it should shake out due to a 70k motor, but 200k on the rest of the rig. Looking at average pricing of the 2006 with around 200k, it seems to fall on the $15-16500 range. Again, I wasn't sure if a lower mileage swap would reflect on that. I am sure the big price is an attempt to regain those expenses for the replacement motor.

I would love to hear from anyone else, as well as if anyone has been in a similar buying position.

If it isn't the one, the search will continue!

Sent from my iPhone

Even if the swap was done perfectly, it opens the door to potential problems down the road and may further diminish the value to the next prospective buyer. The seller is clearly trying to recoup his costs of the engine replacement, but I wouldn't let him recoup it from you. There's plenty of non-engine swapped 100's out there for $20K - keep looking.

Swapping engine aren't a bug deal. Few nuts and bolt here and there. Couple hoses and connectors. I would trust a swapped engine over a random rebuild...

I swapped out the engine on my 100 due to the same reason but was caused by the heater ts. Been running great with a 120k motor.

I agree with RND1. I'm in a skeptical mood on this one. I don't think you can verify the owner's story, the donor engine condition, or the quality of work done nearly enough to justify the price (or even thousands less). Let someone else take the risk on this one and continue your search.

IMO, $19,900 is too much for an engine swapped '06 with over 200k.

Run Carfax on VINs for both car and on engine block to see if you can verify the story. If data is lacking or not right, think you should stay away.

I would say move on to the next ride there are a lot of them out there unmolested even with 200k miles,a 200k vehicle may have other needs besides your engine worries and it would be hard to prove that the donor engine really does have 70k miles unless the actual donor was in the place that did the work it could also be a JDM engine.

The engine wouldn't scare me off, as long as it looks like it was maintained and in great shape.

I would be concerned that they are selling it 1,100 miles post engine swap. Have all the bugs been worked out? If it had 20k miles post swap, I might feel more at ease.

If it was me, at that price, I wouldn't purchase it. Lots of risk. However, it may be a good deal in your part of the country.

Agree with the advices above. I think 20K for 200K 2006 is too high with original engine. With the engine replacement, it should have lower price due to the buyer is inheriting potential problems from replacing the engine.

What @Vasopressor said about selling it 1100 miles after engine swap would set off a flag for me. Is there problems that the owner trying to pass on to the buyer?

Prices are weird on these things. As I recall, I paid less than $19K for my 2001 with 85K miles back in 2009 at a dealer. Now $20K gets you a 200K+ mile 2006 with 200K and a swapped motor, private sale... I just don't get it.

That being said, selling right after a engine swap doesn't surprise me. If it is an older person, and they don't do their own work, something big like a engine failure might lead to a loss of confidence in a high mileage vehicle - sell it before something else goes bad. I don't agree with the logic, but I've seen it before.

Thanks again, everyone. The seller has still not sent the information I requested regarding who performed the work, donor motor, etc. I suspect they know I've done a bit of homework and I am willing to go the extra mile to verify if the truck is worth it. I was also looking at some cached pages that I knew it was listed on a few months ago - they were originally asking $22,000.

At this point, I believe I'll heed the advice and pass on this one. Also, the wife was just mentioning how much she still likes the GX's also. We may end up with both a 100 (for me) and a GX in the stable.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to opine and provide excellent information with pro's and con's. Hopefully my next post will be a build thread I am starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom