Engine swap VATS question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know how to keep the VATS ON when doing an ls swap? After speaking with a bar rep I learned that now in California you need to take your truck to a chevy dealer and have them run a report on the tune/vin and the vats need to be left on with a stock tune before your scheduled ref test. I know there are companies that sell vat bypass kits but am a bit unclear on what else is needed (ignition cylinder, body control module, etc)
With the new laws being passed in California I was hoping to get an answer that would benefit all of us wanting to do a motor swap on our rigs in the future.

The guys at Icon 4x4 do a ton of V8 swaps and would have the latest info

This is now the second time today I've heard this. I've done a bunch of Ca legal swaps. The factory tune stays but I have everything except eng/trans turned off. No anti theft, bcm, abs.....
I went to the bar and air resource board web sits, but cant see where they changed it. I do know that different reps will have you do different things and some of them are jerks.
It would be nice if someone has a link to the new laws.

This is now the second time today I've heard this. I've done a bunch of Ca legal swaps. The factory tune stays but I have everything except eng/trans turned off. No anti theft, bcm, abs.....
I went to the bar and air resource board web sits, but cant see where they changed it. I do know that different reps will have you do different things and some of them are jerks.
It would be nice if someone has a link to the new laws.

I do not see how the VATS play into this.

What I want to see is the "must be certified" part. The detection software in the smog machines have always been sub par and way behind the times. I'm not surprised their finally updating the machines to detect this. I have been out of the shop for a couple of years but, when I left, I wouldn't have been able to tell you if the tune was legit, if it was done correctly. That was something we had to bring a field engineer down for.
Either way, this is something worth watching.

For what its worth I spoke with two different guys at the bar regarding the swap process and they both brought up the VATS. Maybe they were just blowing smoke but the thing that surprised me was the need to take the truck to a chevy dealer to have a diagnostic report run prior to the ref visit. My last swap a few years back (3.4 into a 1st gen 4runner) I just needed to take it to the ref at a college and was done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom