Engine Sputters after going through water (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, my ‘91 fj80 acts weird after going through water. I’m not sure on the exact depth of the water, but I think it’s around the bottom or middle of the bumper.
After the water my car drives like normal, but when I try to accelerate decently hard the car sputters. It feels as though the throttle is turning on and off repeatedly. After a few hours the car is normal again.
Any ideas on what’s wrong, or at least where to look?

Bruh you joined 11 yrs ago.
Need the maintenance 'a/s/l', or as the youngsters call it, the '411 yo' to know where to start to help you.

Make your own account.

Search the forums for posts related to your issue. Tons of info. Take your time. It's like a sweet wine.
Unless you're too young for that in which case shame on your for doing so. lol

And ... Welcome!

My 2 cents, you're looking for something electrical in nature. An open (resistive) ground or shorted positive.

Or it's your head gasket.

Only the SEARCH can tell.

:cheers:

I'll throw you a bone (folks here can be hard pressed sometimes to answer a searchable question)...its your distributor. 95%. Make sure your vacuum lines into the cap and the rubber seal for the cap itself are nice and tight and not rotting. Even then this can still happen. Pop it off and it'll dry out faster. You may also look for a distributor cover, the 60 series got them but I'm not sure about the 3fe 80s

Check your o2 sensor connections as well. They will cause issues if they get wet.

Spray some WD40 over wires and distributor, this will dispel any water/moisture.
Your fan or speed most likely misted the engine bay.
If you wash your engine expect the same issue until the water evaporates.

I would go with water in the distributor cap as well. Has happened to me on my 1FZ-FE, could be the same on your 3FE.

Check your o2 sensor connections as well. They will cause issues if they get wet.
I agree with this statement big time. One of the O2 sensor connectors is positioned vertically, and can fill with water. Thereby allowing that O2 sensor to send all kinds of weird signals to the ECM, until that connector is pulled apart, and blown out with compressed air.

Supercharged 97

An engine wash would make her mad....

I'll throw you a bone (folks here can be hard pressed sometimes to answer a searchable question)...its your distributor. 95%. Make sure your vacuum lines into the cap and the rubber seal for the cap itself are nice and tight and not rotting. Even then this can still happen. Pop it off and it'll dry out faster. You may also look for a distributor cover, the 60 series got them but I'm not sure about the 3fe 80s
FJ80s had the distributor cover. 19114-61040.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom