Engine skip. '94 OBD1 Code 17 ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, here I am again with an IRREGULAR skip in the engine and an OBD1 code 17. I can't seem to find it in my '94 FSM or on a search here for it. Any clues out there in cruiserland for a code 17 ??

What am I missing or doing wrong ?? This is my first 80.

I put a paperclip between E1 and TE1 with the engine warm and in neutral......ign. on, but not running. As per the FSM....

Just put in OEM plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Also new air intake hose, (the big expensive mutha). New PCV, grommet, hose and vent hose.....and the new skip started !!!!!!

I have checked a lot of wires and connections and have sprayed around the engine w/ WD40 to see if the skip changes.....have not found anything yet......guess I am still missing the problem.

Thanks in advance...

I haven't been able to find a Code 17 either. Are you sure your ECU is not dyslexic?

Like ^ have said I would believe its a 71. But I never have had "skip" when throwing that code. Sorry all I got/know.

71 EGR is pretty common and can range in a lot of various pieces to the system.

Any chance it could be a 1 and a 7 instead of 17? 1 is normal and 7 is throttle position sensor. Given your work on the intake, maybe the problem is with the throttle position sensor but I'm not sure why that would produce a skip.

I haven't been able to find a Code 17 either. Are you sure your ECU is not dyslexic?

Either that or I am .......:hmm:

I have run the code several times and it always has a pause before it starts and then there is one quick (1) flash and a short pause followed by seven (7) quick flashes....so I am interpreting that as a code 17.......correct.??

I also looked at code 71 but did not think that it should cause an intermittent skip.....maybe a rough idle, but not a skip that continues thru the RPM's.......?????

This afternoon after work I will check online for the Toyota codes link.....

thanks everyone

Last edited:
Any chance it could be a 1 and a 7 instead of 17? 1 is normal and 7 is throttle position sensor. Given your work on the intake, maybe the problem is with the throttle position sensor but I'm not sure why that would produce a skip.

I was thinking that too.....just saw this reply after I posted my reply above.....I did not see a code 7 in the FSM....must have missed it.......I am reading this at 5:45 AM EST. with blurrey eyes and not enough coffee in my system yet......trying to get ready for work....

Would a TPS make it skip in an odd manner ???????

Thanks

If my memory serves me correctly, the difference between a 1 and 7 code as opposed to a 17 code would be 2.5 seconds between the 1 and 7 and only 1.5 seconds between the 1 and the 7 on a 17 code.

If my memory serves me correctly, the difference between a 1 and 7 code as opposed to a 17 code would be 2.5 seconds between the 1 and 7 and only 1.5 seconds between the 1 and the 7 on a 17 code.

Thanks, I knew there was a time difference, but did not have my stop watchwith me last night........will have to hunt it up.

The FSM states the exact time difference. Will have to check it out again

Like ^ have said I would believe its a 71. But I never have had "skip" when throwing that code. Sorry all I got/know.

71 EGR is pretty common and can range in a lot of various pieces to the system.

Last night when I checked the code sequence, it seemed like a short pause between the 1 and the 7, so I thought it was a code 17....which does not appear to exist.

This afternoon I rechecked it and looked at my watch to time the gaps between flashes........Now it seems to be a short 1.5 seconds or so between the 7 and the 1...so it looks like a code 71 after all.
It looks to be reversed from what I saw, or thought I saw last night.......:lol:....I guess the fun is just beginning.
I still have a skip, and do not know how it could be from the EGR circuit either.

I will check more wires behind the engine on the firewall.....I was told that is a place where they get brittle and broken etc.

I did find a loose ground (12 inch long ) wire from the rear PS side of the engine, but connecting it to the firewall did not make any difference......in fact it looked like it was never connected to anything.....the end was all clean and shiney new....no scratches or marks......WTH ???

Last edited:
I have no idea why this bugs me, but:

I sure wish you'd call it a "miss" rather than a "skip". I've personally never heard of an engine miss being referred to as a skip.

:meh:

Feel free to disregard, of course. ;)

I have no idea why this bugs me, but:

I sure wish you'd call it a "miss" rather than a "skip". I've personally never heard of an engine miss being referred to as a skip.

:meh:

Feel free to disregard, of course. ;)

:lol::lol: It does not matter......it does what it does. !!!!!!!

I'll call it MISS or MISSIE instead of SKIP or SKIPPY

:hmm: I think you just helped me name my new rig....MISSIE...... or should I call her MISSFIRE ??? Decisions, Decisions.

Jee ....Thanks Mister !!! :cheers:

Update:

I did a search for code 71 and came up with this thread and followed it to the end. I put a 4.7 ohm resister in the ECM side of the EGR temp gauge wire and looped the vac hoses like they said. the code and miss did not go away.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/308200-disable-egr-system-mostly-toyota-way.html

I even sprayed brake cleaner into the sparkplug holes and blasted them out with my air compressor to remove and remnants of the silicone grease I had put on earlier to get the over tight fitting non-OEM plug wires out. ( PO trying to save a buck). I posted this saga about 2+ weeks ago.
( I have since put OEM wires, cap and rotor on it) they fit so much better.
I cleared the code 71, and it has not come back, but it still misses.
I am down to thinking the wire harness is toast by the rear of the engine by the EGR heat tube.

I had a miss from a non firing #4 fuel injector a few weeks ago that went away, but it appears it has been back for the last 2 weeks.
I feel this is what is causing the skip/miss fire.

Last edited:
I discovered it was the timing being off by a factor of 10X !!
It was between 25-30 degrees.....off the scale.....
Set it at 3 degrees for now
Runs great now....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom