Engine Rattle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

94SRUNNER

GOLD Star
Threads
On Saturday I changed the oil (Rotella 15W40 used the last 77000 miles) and filter (Napa Gold 1515) and went on about my day. When I returned home I pulled into the garage to check a few things out and left the engine running. When I rolled down my window I heard the rattle. Very faint, but noticeable enough to me, especially in the confined space of the garage. I went about performing a few tests. First, while in the transmission was in Park, I revved the the engine and the rattle went away. Then I went through the gears with my foot on the brake, my foot off the gas, and with the transmission in Reverse, Drive, 2nd, and 1st the rattle was not present. While in gear with my foot on the brake I revved the engine and did not produce the rattle. Finally, with the transmission in neutral the rattle returned, but again when I revved the engine the rattle went away.

A couple of things to note, the rattle only occurs when the engine is at operating temperature and the transmission is in park or neutral. The factory oil pressure gauge is functioning properly. Second, I only noticed it Saturday after the oil change and after running several errands. Finally, it may have been occurring prior to Saturday, but I certainly think I would have noticed it.

After discussing the issue with a good friend and fellow Cruiser head, I decided to try a different oil filter thinking perhaps a bad filter. So this afternoon I installed my last remaining 90915-20004 filter. Fired it up and still had the rattle. I also diligently retracted all my steps from the work I did on Saturday to see if perhaps I knocked something that is now causing the rattle, but I couldn't find anything obvious.

No other work has been performed recently that would have me concerned. My sig line has the truck details and for the most part maintenance is up to date. The truck has been running great other wise and continues to run great even with the slight rattle in park and neutral.

So here I am seeing what folks on Mud think.

I realize it is difficult to diagnosis these types of issues over the internet, but I am using all the resources I can to figure it out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Try listening to specific areas through a mechanic's stethoscope. Is your oil pressure gauge indicating what has historically been normal?

Mechanic's stethoscope is on the trouble shoot list.

And I will edit the text above, but yes oil pressure on the gauge is normal.

Interesting. I too recently changed to 15W40 (from 10W30) and installed a Mobil 1 oil filter (which is the large size as compared to the OEM Toyota filter I removed). In park, I too hear a new, slight rattle. I thought it was valve train, it kinda sounds like it's coming from the rear, but lower than the head. I haven't done anything as it's very slight and isn't there when the transmission is engaged. But it was new and enough for me to notice. I suspect the filter, but plan on going back to 10W30 and stock filter next time - which, of course, isn't scientific at all...

I can see a change in the oil, like Mighty690 did, making enough of a difference to lead to such a slight rattle. I can't see how the oil filter would make a difference.

Pete,
You're on the same oil as you changed out, I take it?

Had the valves adjusted? Because this -- without benefit of hearing it -- circumstantially sounds like it could be the sort of thing that starts showing up as the valves get in the range of max tolerances. It'll start very slightly like that. At least that's what I remember about my old 2F, which required much more frequent valve adjustment. IIRC the FZJ interval is 250,000 miles?

I run same oil and have for over 20k miles. No rattle that I notice.
Shot in the dark but how's your pcv valve?

I can see a change in the oil, like Mighty690 did, making enough of a difference to lead to such a slight rattle. I can't see how the oil filter would make a difference.

Pete,
You're on the same oil as you changed out, I take it?

Had the valves adjusted? Because this -- without benefit of hearing it -- circumstantially sounds like it could be the sort of thing that starts showing up as the valves get in the range of max tolerances. It'll start very slightly like that. At least that's what I remember about my old 2F, which required much more frequent valve adjustment. IIRC the FZJ interval is 250,000 miles?

Mike, thanks for the feedback. The only difference with the oil, which I didn't mention above, I went from Rotella 10w30 to 15w40. I ran the 10w30 over the winter. But have never had an issue with it.

The valves have never been adjusted in my 8 years of ownership and I doubt they were adjusted prior to my purchasing the it. Perhaps it may be one variable to consider.

I run same oil and have for over 20k miles. No rattle that I notice.
Shot in the dark but how's your pcv valve?

Scrowley, good suggestion. I look into it after work.

My PCV is OEM and new, and the valves were carefully checked less than 10K ago, for what it's worth. Once I change my oil I'll post back up. The strange thing here is that this sound occurred precisely with this one oil change, and no other variables were changed.

My PCV is OEM and new, and the valves were carefully checked less than 10K ago, for what it's worth. Once I change my oil I'll post back up. The strange thing here is that this sound occurred precisely with this one oil change, and no other variables were changed.

It is a strange coincidence, but like I said above it was only after the oil change that I noticed the noise. It very well could have been present prior to the oil change but I hadn't noticed it.

Bad pun, but now this "sounds" like an oil issue. It may simply be noise, but I'm with y'all in preferring no excess rattling:slap:

Rotella is good oil AFAIK. On the other hand, I've heard some of it is formulated for diesels and may cause something... or other, which my six decade old mind isn't calling up right now. Don't recall it being rattling, but I don't recall lots of stuff these days, usually only temporarily:eek:

Bad pun, but now this "sounds" like an oil issue. It may simply be noise, but I'm with y'all in preferring no excess rattling:slap:

Rotella is good oil AFAIK. On the other hand, I've heard some of it is formulated for diesels and may cause something... or other, which my six decade old mind isn't calling up right now. Don't recall it being rattling, but I don't recall lots of stuff these days, usually only temporarily:eek:
Damn. I can't wait for old age

Thanks Mike. Well be it rattling, a click, a tick, or some other noise, as you stated I to prefer no noise ! Other than the sweet sound of a well maintained 1FZ-FE!

Interesting about the diesel additives causing an issue. Perhaps a drain and fill is in order? It would at least eliminate another variable.

This might be a little bit out of left field, but you might check that your spark plugs are torqued down properly. Especially if it is more like a 'tick' than a rattle. I've had this happen where one spark plug comes loose and makes odd sounds... for a while. Eventually if not treated, it can damage the threads around the spark plug. Just a thought. The fix for such a condition isn't much fun once the head is damaged. It can be fixed though, I've done TimeSert inserts to cure such ills.

Did a bit more poking around. Try Googling "Rotella noise diesel additive" and you'll get some interesting opinions. Some people claim it cured their noisy lifters; other that it aggravated it. Some said it's just a start-up issue. Others that it went away a few miles after the oil change. Some suspicion of it flushing grunge away, leading to the tics. Not sure I buy that.

And there is some mention of T6 and/or T5 Rotella being different than the other. Got not idea about what that means, but something to maybe look into. The diesel stuff seems to mostly be dual-rated for spark/compression so that's probably not the issue.

Mine started just like yours, sometimes you hear it at idle other times you don't, a lot louder when engine is cold but after it really warms up you barely hear it but it is still there. Been this way for year and a half I think it's coming from valve train. I hear it when driving sound like a worn 22re to me

What mileage are you at now?

Consider the steering gearbox. I had a sound that was similar to worn main bearings. Turned out it was a check valve in ps gearbox.

Same symptoms.

What mileage are you at now?

Consider the steering gearbox. I had a sound that was similar to worn main bearings. Turned out it was a check valve in ps gearbox.

Same symptoms.

Which mileage are you referring to exactly? The overall mileage is just shy of 295K.

I don't see this being a result of the steering gear box. It was replaced with a West Texas Offroad rebuilt unit.

Mine started just like yours, sometimes you hear it at idle other times you don't, a lot louder when engine is cold but after it really warms up you barely hear it but it is still there. Been this way for year and a half I think it's coming from valve train. I hear it when driving sound like a worn 22re to me

Mine is the opposite, it's only noticeable once the engine has reached operating temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom