Engine Problems, Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While driving the other day I noticed my LC hesitating a little bit. The next day was no different except that when at idle, it only idled at 400 RPM. Kinda reminded me of how it runs right after the EFI fuse is reset. I checked the engine codes and nothing. The next day while normal driving, it started hesitating and sputtering, then finally died. After getting a tow to the house, I checked the codes and there was nothing. It did start normally the next day, however a quick test drive proved no different. It started sputtering again and eventually died. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

easy first

air intake tube cracked, maybe new MAF sensor, just a start before you get into fuel, spark, etc

x2 start with Rubber ribbed intake tube.
Look between the ribs for cracks

What year is it? Check the crispy melted wiring harness at the firewall where it gets cooked by the egr valve. If you wiggle it while it is misbehaving and it clears up or vis a versa you may have found the culprit.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it when I get home in 5 days. BTW it's a 94.

I had some odd idling and random dieing behavior. It ended up being the fuel pump connector was corroded.

HTH

What have you done recently? Mine exhibited similar symptoms after playing in water. Turned out to be water in the spark plug tubes.

Only thing I've done recently is change the plugs, plug wires, distributer cap, rotor, belts and air filter.

Describe, in detail, the procedure you used for changing the air filter?

I'm wondering if you may have cracked the intake tube and didn't know it.

When you messed with the dizzy, could you have gotten it off a tooth or two?

I loosened both intake tube clamps, removed the throttle cable from the intake tube, removed the cruise control cable from the air cleaner, removed the MAF sensor connector, removed the wing nut and undid the 3 clamps. I then removed the whole assembly (air cleaner top, MAF, and intake tube). Removed intake tube so I could replace spark plugs and wires. Re-installed everything in reverse order. BTW, the vehicle ran good for about two weeks and 500 miles before it started to act up. I did manage to check the MAF sensor per the maintenance manual and it did check good. However, the manual only gives resistance values for the sensor in a static position. No values are provided for the sensor in any other position.

When the vehicle does run and starts to sputter, there is a noticeable foul odor from the exhaust.

Is the foul odor like a sulfur smell (rotten eggs) possibly the catalytic converter. Not sure if it would cause all of the issues you are having. Definitely try the simplest items first.

Thanks for all the tips and help. It took me a while to find the problem. The new coil wire I just replaced was shorting out to the coil itself. Who would have thought that a "new" wire would have been bad from stock?

check you MAF sensor connections make sure they are tight and you don't have a false contact

Thanks for all the tips and help. It took me a while to find the problem. The new coil wire I just replaced was shorting out to the coil itself. Who would have thought that a "new" wire would have been bad from stock?

How did you determine that the cord was shorting out to the coil itself?

Once you R&R'd the coil cable, it ran fine since then?

Trying to figure out if short was intermittent, and that explained how you'd have gotten it running for a short while before it died, and not immediate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom