Engine hesitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So just spray the wd40 (probably not carb cleaner, right) around the base of the carb while it’s running. Same with intake manifold? No bubbles or anything just running better?

So, I sprayed carb cleaner around the base of the carb and everywhere I thought there might be a leak. The only difference I was able to detect was when I sprayed the carb cleaner actually into the carb. It seemed to run better with carb cleaner in the carb. Here are a couple videos, one without the air cleaner assembly and the others just to show how the the motor is running.

Test drive with the jumper from pos coil to pos battery. Just to make sure I did it right, the engine didn’t turn off using the ignition. This is correct?

First part of the drive was good for about 7 min. Ran normal. I went to the gas station to get gas then back to the house. Halfway back to the house and it starts to act up per usual. This time though I was unable to manage it as well with the choke. Had a couple times where it would just quit and not react to the choke. Took about 2 times the effort to get it home.

At one point after it quit, I got out and wiggled the pos and neg battery cables out of sheer no ideas…got back in to start and it ran normal all the way home.

Most of the time full choke gets the motor rpm’s high enough that I can get it into 2nd and idle. This time the choke only helped to get it started then the motor would almost die even with me pushing the choke in to catch the rpm etc. It acts like it’s out of gas when it does that. But starts up and fires right up after it dies with full choke.

On the igniter/coil there are 2 wires that have matching connections, are these supposed to be connected?

View attachment 3055942
No, those wires should not be connected to each other. Just looking at that picture tells me your issue is probably ignition related. That ignitor and coil are not wired correctly. That black wire yellow stripe that is connected to the coil + should be powering the ignitor, which then feeds to coil +. Are the positive and negative ignitor wires in your hand connected to nothing? Please post up a picture of the connections to your ignitor and coil.

@John Smith thanks for the comment. Here are a couple pictures with some hopeful explanation.

After reading below, I realize I need to probably remove the wires that are not hooked up from the coil, etc. I had them there to remind me where they went, but should I remove them?

Also, the last video shows the igniter wires that go to the FJ60 distributor. They are might need to be cleaned?

Pictures:
On the positive side, the red goes to the fuel shutoff solenoid.
Black yellow to the ignition
Small black/white I think went to the oem starter...it's not connect to anything now.
Two igniter wires - both mostly white

IMG_5728.png

Negative side on top is the igniter
Yellow (see next picture) is connected to a red wire that goes to the main harness...I'm not 100% certain where that one goes. When I did the rewire, I could probably tell you.
The black one used to go to the negative side to the distributor when I tried electronic ignition (whole write up about that mess in the thread and how it didn't work, so it's got points in there) - it is not hooked up to anything.
IMG_5730.png

IMG_5731.png

Dumb question. Can battery cables that are slightly loose on the posts cause this? What about the fusible link connection if it has slight play?

Dumb question. Can battery cables that are slightly loose on the posts cause this? What about the fusible link connection if it has slight play?
I think your battery is only being used during initial startup. Then your alternator takes over. I'd tighten those cables, but I don't believe that's your problem.
What temperature is your engine getting to? A vacuum leak could easily be undetected when cold and show up once the engine is hot.
I'd get an inferred thermometer and drive it around. Once the symptoms show, then check the thermostat housing temp. Should be around 180*.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to hook up a vacuum gauge and have it in the cab while driving either.

Not sure the exact temps. It gets to the lower barb on the gauge and pretty much stays there. It will get above it briefly until the thermostat kicks in. I’ll have to find a thermometer to check it.

Had to order a thermometer so will try it on Thursday. I'll have to search on here to see how to add a vacuum gauge to the cab...any suggestions on this one?
Question on the carb cleaner...when I sprayed into the carb, it ran better...is that an indication of something?

Had to order a thermometer so will try it on Thursday. I'll have to search on here to see how to add a vacuum gauge to the cab...any suggestions on this one?
Question on the carb cleaner...when I sprayed into the carb, it ran better...is that an indication of something?
Into the carb is not where you spray it. Spray around the base and at the manifold/head interface.

Into the carb is not where you spray it. Spray around the base and at the manifold/head interface.
Yep...I did that too with no noticeable change...but because I had spray in my hand, I shot some down the carb and it ran better...I suspect that's a normal thing?

Got the thermometer and drove for a while today. Maybe because I bought a thermometer, the engine decided to run well? Temps were always around 150 (after letting it warm up)-180ish...never higher than 180.

No idea...but didn't fail today.
I did make sure some wires were tightened and connections weren't wiggly. We'll see if that was the fix. I did have a fusible link going to the battery that was a little loose and wonder if that could have caused the issue. I'm sure I'll be back on here in a day or so saying it did it again.

On an unrelated note...I added caster shims to the front and the death steering is all but gone. Going to try to figure out how to add a vacuum gauge to the cab.

Got the thermometer and drove for a while today. Maybe because I bought a thermometer, the engine decided to run well? Temps were always around 150 (after letting it warm up)-180ish...never higher than 180.

No idea...but didn't fail today.
I did make sure some wires were tightened and connections weren't wiggly. We'll see if that was the fix. I did have a fusible link going to the battery that was a little loose and wonder if that could have caused the issue. I'm sure I'll be back on here in a day or so saying it did it again.

On an unrelated note...I added caster shims to the front and the death steering is all but gone. Going to try to figure out how to add a vacuum gauge to the cab.
Wiring integrity is uber important on these for some reason (more so than on anything else I’ve owned). Maybe you got it.

It's driving me crazy...I can drive it for a bit then the hesitation/sputtering comes back...mostly when I have been driving it for about 15-20 minutes...except today. I noticed white smoke from the exhaust (more than I have noticed before). It would come out pretty good if I stepped on the gas (clutch in). Then, 2 minutes later it sputtered, etc. I pulled the choke out and it ran ok (I didn't add any gas pedal) to get me home. If I pushed the choke in, it would want to die...so I left the choke out till I got home. I'm about to drive this thing into a tree...anybody got anything?

White smoke usually means moisture. Carb issues generally manifest into black or dark smoke.

Since the white smoke is now appearing more I‘d be concerned your head gasket might be giving up the ghost. What’s the oil look like, and how’s the coolant level holding? And yes, head gasket leaking can be related to engine hesitation due to loss of compression.

Just what you need, some more things to check, eh? Sorry can‘t be more specific wrt potential carb or fuel problems.

I just redid the head gasket and haven't driven it that many miles. I'll check the fluids and see how they look and report back. I did mess with the carb fuel mixture and idle...i wonder if its too lean now?

Yeah...this thing is so frustrating...I just want it to run so I can drive it more.

Finally had some time to work on it for a bit. I have been thinking about this and read this thread again. I think I have a vac leak around the base of the carb. Here are a couple pictures of the carb insulator. Between it and the manifold, there was a gasket that broke into about 30 pieces as I touched it. I think I need the plenum gasket and one for the top (between the carb and the insulator). When working on the rest of the things in this thread, I made a gasket from gasket making material, but probably messed that up. Can somebody please confirm these 2 gaskets are needed. I read how the insulator has one on it, but I don't think I do? Also, I read another thread that says permatex 1 between the plenum gasket and insulator?

Also, that tube that comes out and goes right back in looks like it serves to cap off those ports. Should that be like that or different.

IMG_6130.png
IMG_6131.png

IMG_6132.png
IMG_6133.png
IMG_6134.png

Finally had some time to work on it for a bit. I have been thinking about this and read this thread again. I think I have a vac leak around the base of the carb. Here are a couple pictures of the carb insulator. Between it and the manifold, there was a gasket that broke into about 30 pieces as I touched it. I think I need the plenum gasket and one for the top (between the carb and the insulator). When working on the rest of the things in this thread, I made a gasket from gasket making material, but probably messed that up. Can somebody please confirm these 2 gaskets are needed. I read how the insulator has one on it, but I don't think I do? Also, I read another thread that says permatex 1 between the plenum gasket and insulator?

Also, that tube that comes out and goes right back in looks like it serves to cap off those ports. Should that be like that or different.

View attachment 3128843View attachment 3128846
View attachment 3128850View attachment 3128851View attachment 3128852
Yes, it looks like there is nothing left of the gasket (the fibrous material on carb insulator).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom