EMERGENCY - UZJ100 Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, if I screw this up, my wife will NEVER let me work on her UZJ100 ever again. I have it in the garage, though only halfway. I was working on the antenna motor replacing the mast. I took the antenna motor out of the fender, opened it up and cleaned out the broken mast. Replaced it and was ready to attempt the install of the new mast, but the truck won't start. I turn the key and it only clicks, with the park lamp indicator blinking.

If I leave the truck in the ACC position, the headlights will start flashing.

Please email me ASAP.

Pitbull,
I did check that, Twice. It has to be something else. I even disconnected the battery to see if that would help reset whatever is acting up.

Landtank,
If I hadn't figured out the problem prior to reading your email, I probably would have started tearing into the starter.

Here is what I determined.....dying battery.

When I tried to start the truck, it was only the starter that I heard clicking. But the battery charge indicator was reading half, so I didn't think it was the battery at first. But after ruling everything else out, I took the battery from my FZJ80 and put it in the 100 series...started right up.

Hopefully that was it and there isn't a short somewhere.. I'm going to back track and make sure I have my antenna motor put back together right.

Michael

Sounds like the battery was close to death and I'm guessing that you left the door open with the courtesy lights or ignition on while working on the antenna and that was the killer blow.

I should have put a J/K in that post, sorry. It has happened to me that when I'm fixing something, something else will go wrong. Since I'm in the general vicinity "I F**KED it up" and "I SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT ALONE".

Well needless to say everyone - the truck is still acting up. Landtank, I totally feel like an ass. Sometimes I just don't think I am mechanically inclined and I should just stay away from the trucks.

Here is the current status. I put the battery from the 80 into the 100, and backed it out of the garage onto the driveway. An hour later when my wife and I were wanting to go on our Valentine's date, the 100 would start but would not idle. After 5 or 6 times of starting it up and it die, my wife decided that the night was shot.

I finally got the 100 to idle by stepping on the gas to keep the RPM at 1000, and eventually the truck would idle. I drove it around the block, turned it off and on again about a dozen times and everything seems fine. However, my wife would prefer not to get stranded somewhere.

My thought is that the truck's computers needed reset and since I got it to idle, it should be okay, but my wife insists that it go to the dealership on Monday for a diagnosis. And I have been given a stern warning NEVER to touch her truck again.

Honestly, I feel like I should hang up the tool box and move on to cross-stiching.

Any insight to what is causing the truck to not idle would be appreciated. If you need to contact me, I'll be in the doghouse.....

Michael

madams, Tomorrow, after a good night sleep, go out and start the truck. Assuming it starts ok, let it idle for a few minutes, then drive it around town or country road for about 10 minutes. Go home, let it run in the driveway at idle for few minutes then shut it off. Check the battery beforehand and afterwards with a multimeter. Write down what the readings were. Could just be resetting the ecu, and if so then this would let you know.

Dude, am I reading your sig right? I just noticed that. You just got that 45 last year right? Shoot me a pm and let me know what's going on if you don't mind.

Junk,
I drove it up the road a bit and have gone out a few times now to see if it starts up. So far, no problems. I will go out first thing in the morning and see if it starts up. If it does, then I'll breath a bit easier.

As for the FJ45 - I just brought it back to the states about a month ago. I have been working on importing it since last summer. The PO was painting it and some body work so everything was done around the beginning of December. Importing it was easier that I thought. Colorado titled it already, I just need to get it through Emissions. And the surprise there is that I don't have to get all the emissions parts because it is EPA exempt. I do have to get an emissions test, but not at the 1978 emissions standards.

So I am busy getting the high altitude jets in, and the radiator needs repairs after it started leaking. I was asked by the boss to get her truck fixed prior to starting on the FJ45. That is were I am right now.

Ok. That's cool. Glad you got it in ok. I am still very gratefull for you checking out the 40 out there for me. When I saw your sig, I noticed the for sale and at first it looked like you were dumping the 45. Now I see the comma in there and realize it's the heapness you're selling. Just wanted to make sure. When you get time, shoot me off a few pics of the 45, please. mike@yourlandcruiser.com (old email addy is kaput). Would really like to see it. :cheers:

Hey was it easy to replace the power antenna? I'm sure mine will bite the dust someday.

Drifting back on topic :rolleyes:

I imagine that the 100 is like the 80 in that it takes several start-up cycles for the curb idle to re-learn after ECU power has been interrupted. My vehice takes about 10-15 cycles to return to normal. I expect that you are fine. After you replace the battery and put the other one back in the 80 both vehicles will need to re-learn idle settings.

D-

My UZJ100 was not able to idle twice and this seems to be known problem with these trucks, it was discussed on the 80's list. It got something do with a bad throttle sensor.
/td

Well, thanks everyone for the response. I'm waiting for the coffee to finish brewing before I head out to the driveway to see if the 100 starts up.

Cruiserdan - thank you for your post. I do hope it is the ECU recycling and I have a strong feeling that it is. I will probably still have to take it to the dealer for their blessing since my wife is still a bit skeptical. We'll see.

RPH74 - As for the antenna replacement, I used the instructions that were posted concerning the 80-series. The only difference in those instructions and what I needed to do for the 100 was access the antenna motor through the fender and not the engine bay. To make things easier, I moved the truck into the garage and removed the front PS tire. Then I started removing the plastic inner molding. Be prepared to break some retaining clips. I broke three and lost one. Five of them cost me $7.00 at the dealership. The antenna mast replacement was $52 with tax.

Some of the plastic clips are a PITA, and I thought I could do the job with some of the clips still in place, but decided to remove them all in the end. Once the plastic molding is removed, the antenna motor is right there. One bolt and it is down. Now, the way the motor is in there, I couldn't remove it from the fender, so I un-did the two screws holding the motor to the mounting bracket, disconnected the power supply to it, and then the entire ensemble was outside of the fender. Six more screws and the motor was open.

I replaced everything and put the motor back into the fender well. Of course, in my zest, I ensembled everything outside of the fender well, only to find that it wouldn't go back in. So I undid the bracket screws a second time, fitted the motor back into the fender and reattached the bracket. Attached the motor to the fender and poped the top of the antenna ensemble out the top of the fender.

Another area where the 80-series instructions differed is the way to put the antenna mast into the motor ensemble. The 80 series instructions said a second person would be needed to press the down bottom and that the teeth of the antenna mast should face the back of the truck.

In my situation, the teeth needed to face the front of the truck, and a second person would not be needed because the antenna mast function is automatic with the press of the radio button.

I first turned the radio on, and the motor made a noise attempting to push a mast up. When that stopped, I strategically placed the new mast in the hole, and turned the radio off. The antenna did not feed all the way in, but enough. One more 'on' and 'off' with the radio and the antenna was properly seated in the fender.

RPH74 - make a note to yourself, messing with the antenna does not directly effect the starter.

[quote author=madams557 link=board=2;threadid=11511;start=msg105059#msg105059 date=1076810182]
Well needless to say everyone - the truck is still acting up. Landtank, I totally feel like an ass. Sometimes I just don't think I am mechanically inclined and I should just stay away from the trucks.

Honestly, I feel like I should hang up the tool box and move on to cross-stiching. [/quote]

I think you are on your way to working this out but just some simple words of advice ... no one pops out of the womb knowing all there is to know about mechanical things, when we say someone is 'mechanically inclined' what we are usually saying is "ohh yea, he has taken apart plenty of things" whether he has actually put them together properly is another question but the point is that experience is always the best type of knowledge and you just have to have enough experience to know what to do when things like this happen. I think you are possibly being too hard on yourself and I am sure that your wife is being too hard on you but do not tell that to her cause I no want no wrath!!! Anyway, as you approach future repairs, just keep in mind that these unexpected things are to be expected, use your FSM, use the forum and for God's sakes, do not tell your wife that her 100 is broken. Take care man, and also, for God's sakes, do not take up cross-stitching just yet ... unless you want to stitch me a copy of my cruiser!!! ;) ;) ;)

Curtains?

I know the Wulf is in the middle of a "re-do" on his interior and is actively seeking new "window treatments"........ :flipoff2:

Nahhh, the guys in my local club harassed me and insinuated curtains were gay. I guess the dog slobber will have to provide my "privacy."

-B-

Thanks for all the support guys. The truck is running like usual, and I am feeling a bit better about the whole experience. Only one downside...since my untimely antenna repair took place on Valetine's and hench, we were unable to go on our 'date', I am being challenged by my wife to make it up to her this coming weekend.

So does anyone think that I should tear into her driver side door to grease the window mechanisms before our date on Saturday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom