'01 LC won't start, no crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All - after scouring this amazing forum for 3 days, I'm about to bite the bullet and have my '01 LC towed to my mechanic.

Suddenly wouldn't start as I picked up my kids from school (thank goodness only ~1 mile from house to walk home)

Observations:
- no Starter click - can hear fuse box 'click', but unable to pinpoint to an individual fuse or relay
- no warning from Starter going bad
- all lights illuminate on dash, remote lock/unlock, even headlights come on with key in ACC or ON
- Battery is reading 12.3 Volts, and also getting 12.3 volts at fuse box
- reset all fuses & relays, swapped out some fuses based on other common issues found here - can't get a new Starter Relay delivered for another week
- EDIT: additional attempts to turn 'ON' shows that dash lights remain illuminated, but clock/AC turn off while attempting to start

I'm at 403k miles, and starter was replaced ~200k miles. Doing everything in my power to avoid towing, but seems inevitable.

Many many thanks to this incredible forum for help in the past. Truly the best.

Last edited:
Have you tried jumping it from another vehicle?
Yes. tried jumping from a buddy's GX, no difference. Tempted to try a new battery just to eliminate that, but might be waste of time if Jumping didn't help?

Sounds like it might be the starter then.
Genuine thank you for the input.

I just edited my original post - I hadn't noticed earlier, but when turning the key to 'ON', the clock/AC lights would turn off, but the dash lights remain illuminated.

I'm not sure if that adds ammo to the starter being the issue, or if I have an electrical issue further up the line

My 00 LC is doing the same thing! Started three months ago... delayed start, to didn't start once in 10x's, to nowr three months later, it's been sitting for two weeks because it won't start.

I took it to CruiserTech mechanics in Lake Forest, CA yesterday... waiting for the outcome...

All - after scouring this amazing forum for 3 days, I'm about to bite the bullet and have my '01 LC towed to my mechanic.

Suddenly wouldn't start as I picked up my kids from school (thank goodness only ~1 mile from house to walk home)

Observations:
- no Starter click - can hear fuse box 'click', but unable to pinpoint to an individual fuse or relay
- no warning from Starter going bad
- all lights illuminate on dash, remote lock/unlock, even headlights come on with key in ACC or ON
- Battery is reading 12.3 Volts, and also getting 12.3 volts at fuse box
- reset all fuses & relays, swapped out some fuses based on other common issues found here - can't get a new Starter Relay delivered for another week
- EDIT: additional attempts to turn 'ON' shows that dash lights remain illuminated, but clock/AC turn off while attempting to start

I'm at 403k miles, and starter was replaced ~200k miles. Doing everything in my power to avoid towing, but seems inevitable.

Many many thanks to this incredible forum for help in the past. Truly the best.
I had the same issue with my 2000LC. I could not find a box here in Colombia so what i did was very carefully cut away the plastic around the EFI fuse holder down to the base of the box using a small pointed wire cutter. I was then able to pull out the metal clips that hold the fuse and slide onto the bottom blades in the box. I carefully cleaned them up as they were full of melted plastic. I carefully reformed the clips around a fuse and tightened the clip that attaches to the fuse box blades. I then slid the clips back down on the blades and attached the fuse. Check Engine light came on and engine started right away. As soon as I can order a new box I will. As of now its running great!

My 00 LC is doing the same thing! Started three months ago... delayed start, to didn't start once in 10x's, to nowr three months later, it's been sitting for two weeks because it won't start.

I took it to CruiserTech mechanics in Lake Forest, CA yesterday... waiting for the outcome...
Bad starter... Original lasted 283,000 miles so I guess it was time...

Same here. Bad starter.

I'm still surprised there was no warning, but my mechanic said sometimes they just die. Hope I get mine back this week!

My bad starter was subtly getting bad over four months, gradually getting worse until it was parked for two weeks. I was flirting with getting stranded every time i drove it.

I have an awesome mechanic who fixed it in a day, along with the new gasket replacement of course. He only works on Land Cruisers in Orange County. Cruiser Tech.

All's good now! 257,000 miles the OEM lasted!

My bad starter was subtly getting bad over four months, gradually getting worse until it was parked for two weeks. I was flirting with getting stranded every time i drove it.

I have an awesome mechanic who fixed it in a day, along with the new gasket replacement of course. He only works on Land Cruisers in Orange County. Cruiser Tech.

All's good now! 257,000 miles the OEM lasted!
I think I have the same issue- by gradually getting worse, do you mean you would get “no crank” more and more often when you turn the key? I had “no crank, no start” happen a couple weeks Ago, and after a couple tries it started fine. Didn’t think much of it until the other night, this time I couldn’t get it to crank after many attempts. I tried again while on the phone with AAA to get a tow and it started, so I drove it home. The next morning, no crank/no start.

I think I have the same issue- by gradually getting worse, do you mean you would get “no crank” more and more often when you turn the key? I had “no crank, no start” happen a couple weeks Ago, and after a couple tries it started fine. Didn’t think much of it until the other night, this time I couldn’t get it to crank after many attempts. I tried again while on the phone with AAA to get a tow and it started, so I drove it home. The next morning, no crank/no start.
Yes, and then that one glorious final time that hopefully leaves you stranded at home instead of a College Football game parking lot at 10pm!"

No start even after 30 minutes, even after doing the, "put it in gear and bump it so you hope you get it in some brushes that will engage and start...

But No!!

Then you grab your other car or Uber while calling the mechanic for the next Available appt."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom