EMERGENCY - UZJ100 Won't Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sheeesh!
obviously, you ain't been married long, eh? :D
E

Tear the whole damn truck apart just make sure you hire a limo for the date! The rest of your life depends on it.

Been married 9 years now. Overall she is a good sport, she was willing to take the 85 CJ7 out for our date, but I had lower its insurance to storage coverage.

I know greasing the window mechanisms in the driver's door shouldn't be a big job, 'shouldn't' being the operative word. My fear now is that I'm not sure if the window mechanisms are directly connected to the starter?

It doesn't matter anyway...I have been banned from turning a wrench on the 100-series.

have you thought that with a few mods you could change it into a 105 in which case the ban would no longer apply and the changeover might be either overlooked or grandfathered in...? :D
OK, OK, just trying to help... :whoops:
E

[quote author=madams557 link=board=2;threadid=11511;start=msg106142#msg106142 date=1077028869]
It doesn't matter anyway...I have been banned from turning a wrench on the 100-series.
[/quote]

Chicken.... :rolleyes:

Our shop rate just went to 80 bucks an hour. Who pays the shop bill at your house? You could give her a bit of sticker shock on a labor-only repair for about 5 or 6 hours worth of something you could have done. :whoops:

:D

"Our shop rate just went to 80 bucks an hour. Who pays the shop bill at your house? You could give her a bit of sticker shock on a labor-only repair for about 5 or 6 hours worth of something you could have done."

Cruiserdan - That gets into a whole nother arguement, that was again touched upon this past weekend. You see, the 100-series was my idea. Over two years ago she decided to sell her 95 Pathfinder, and wanted really, really, really, really bad a Jeep Grand Cherokee. HEY - HEY, don't attack me, I talked her out of it (sort of).

Anyone, we test drove a Grand Cherokee and though she wasn't completely satisfied, she still liked the looks (a girl-thing). Well, we sold her Pathfinder and somehow she got my 80-series and I was stuck driving the CJ7 37 miles oneway to work everyday for several months (during the hot summer with no a/c).

Finally, I figured it was time to take action. I found an autobroker and located a 2000 Lexus ES300 which she really like, but wasn't sure if she was ready to move from an SUV to a sedan. Plus her job (HOSPICE Nurse) required taking a lot of medical supplies to patients homes, even up into remote dirt road locations in the Colorado foothills.

So, I asked her if she liked my 80-series and she said she did. I mentioned a 100-series and she (not knowing the difference) didn't want two of the same trucks in the driveway. I couldn't get her to commit, but she still said she liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I told her she could get the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but that I would have NO part of it, and that if it ends up in the repair shop, she would be stuck driving the CJ7 and not my 80-series (I reminded her of the no a/c part).

A few weeks later, there was a 100-series on ebay and the price was right. I picked it up and surprised her with it. Though she does love it, she still reminds me that it wasn't her first choice and claims she had no say in the matter.

So, Cruiserdan, you can see my dilemia here. The tables were turned on me; the repair and maintanence of the Land Cruiser fleet is my responsibility since I made the sole decision. To make matters a tad worst, both the 80 and 100 are dark blue, leading more to a fleet appearance than she would like. Luckily the FJ45 is mustard.

WOW,

Bummer :-\ It appears that you are indeed between a rock and a hard place. I see no way out short of brooming the 100 and letting her have a Jeep at her own peril. After she discovers the pleasures of that vehicle let her pick out it's replacement. No bets on that that may be.

Yeah, I think we might see some sort of vehicle rotation in the near future. I'd sure hate to see the 100 go. It has crossed my mine on somehow keeping it. Currently, the CJ7, FZJ80, and FJ45 are mine. I'm 'allowed' one extra truck, which I'm currently exceeding with the CJ7.

If given the opportunity, I would have to decide what to keep. I just picked up the 45, but if I kept the 100 as my daily driver, I could build up the 80 more. I could keep the 45 and the 100 and sale the 80. I could keep the 45 and 80, while trading in the 100. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

We'll see. Life's little quarmires.

So wait a second here..... you actually did fix the 100, didn't you? Batteries die on any and every vehicle, regardless if they are a Land Cruiser or Jeep. It's not your fault.

She should have bought YOU Valentine's day dinner for buying her a Cruiser instead of a Jeep. I used to own a Grand--albeit a 93 (a little different from the newer ones)--and have driven a newer one for a little while (rental on business trip), and let me tell you: THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

And people wonder why I'm not married. :slap: I was 2 hours late for my Valentine's date from working on my Cruiser and my date was happy to see me.

Yeah Shocker, in the end the 100 did get fixed. The problem was the battery died while I worked on the antenna, though I couldn't tell that the battery was the culprit. All the lights worked, but the truck wouldn't turn over, only clicked away.

Then I thought I was the hero when I replaced the battery with the one from my 80. However, when the time came from us to go on our date, the truck would not idle. That is when I knew I was in trouble...

Anyway, today things are better, sans the ability to wrench on the 100. All the advice from this board really helped. Of course, you know that if the muffler falls off tomorrow, it will be because I messed with the antenna. :D

<<<<<<"if the muffler falls off tomorrow, it will be because I messed with the antenna.">>>>>>>>

You DIDN'T undo that LOOONG bolt at the bottom of the antenna, did you? :eek:

[quote author=madams557 link=board=2;threadid=11511;start=msg106339#msg106339 date=1077056744]
Anyway, today things are better, sans the ability to wrench on the 100.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the castration.

But honestly to hell with all that BS. You fixed the truck, saved some cash and might have found a weak battery which could leave you/her stranded at some point. My wife played this game for a while. I had hoped she would see things clearly at some point, even after several attempts at talking about it, it just wasn't going to happen. So I told her to :flipoff2: off and I don't want to hear it! She got over it.

>> To make matters a tad worst, both the 80 and 100 are dark blue, <<
>> leading more to a fleet appearance than she would like. <<

Rattle can the 80 "Corvette Yellow." That should shut her up.

:D

-B-

Hey wait a minute - the 80 is mine and I like blue. So Corvette Yellow on the 100.

It's not like they are even the same exact shade of blue.

LandCruisers0002.jpg

just had a scare too...
went under the dash of the '03 to find the elusive electric brake controller connector (no dice).
In the mean time I discovered an unknown alarm system under there with a shock sensor.
Enlisted my youngest daughter to crawl under there with the door closed and bang on the sensor to see if it is still working. It did.
Later on, after I announced triumphantly to the wife that I had gotten her a new alarm, she announced in turn that the daytime running lights were no longer working. Horror! I could visualize the kid having pulled some itsy-bitsy wire under there that I would never find again...
Marital disaster in the making!
Well, turns out that when I tested the lights the next day, bracing myself for the finding, that they worked just fine. No idea what happened, maybe she checked with the parking brake on?
Oh well, that was close. Good lesson about working on the wife's car (*not* truck, OK?)...
E

Sounds like we could use a "Near Wife-Disaster" Support Group...

I bed your wife would like the Lexus RX300...seems like 98% of the drivers are women...must be a girly thing, too. My wife expects us to wait a few more years until a '03 100 w/ the new 5spd tranny can be had for an affordable price, unless Toyota introduces the 4runner w/ 3.0L turbo diesel in '06 (when the US changes to low sulfur diesel). Then she's willing to bag the 100 for the 4runner just for the TD (her family has always used Toyota/hino TD's). Too bad the 100 TD won't be sold here.

well, in the affluent neighborhood nearby, there are lotsa of 100s. But they are all driven by women... They love the rigs, man! Must be a pampering/confidence/safety thing cuz they are like luxurious tanks... :D
E

Mike,

Face it man...you're hosed. Buy her the Grand thingy she wants, get rid of the CJ, keep both cruisers for yourself. Then when she calls you from the roadside, give her your AAA number.

[quote author=Jim_Chow link=board=2;threadid=11511;start=msg107896#msg107896 date=1077305190]
I bed your wife would like the Lexus RX300...[/quote]

...not going to touch this one with a 10 foot antenna mast.

T

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=11511;start=msg106354#msg106354 date=1077059299]
Sorry to hear about the castration.

But honestly to hell with all that BS. You fixed the truck, saved some cash and might have found a weak battery which could leave you/her stranded at some point. My wife played this game for a while. I had hoped she would see things clearly at some point, even after several attempts at talking about it, it just wasn't going to happen. [/quote]

Man, I am really feeling sorry for this madams guy, hell, like landtank stated, he did a lot of good while he was working on the 100. :mad: Women, you cant live with em ... you cant live without em. ??? In my case, I'm mostly lucky; the wife would never worry about what I work on and she actually appreciates all the money it saves. I do however humbly know when the work exceeds my ability and when it is time to go to the pros. So, I have never had a repair that I started get finished by someone else, or even get redone by someone else at a later time. Further, I have never had to go to the dealer for anything other than recall issues or immediate parts; I support my favorite independent shops and in the process save money and also save my sphincter from the standard abuse at the stealership! :) A record like this helps with the WAF - Wife Acceptance Factor.

Madams, some unsolicited advice - For your own personal satisfaction if nothing else, remember that it is important to research the hell out of any unfamiliar subject or any unfamiliar repair, get everything for the repair in advance, consult the FSM throughout the repair, in the event of setbacks NEVER spill the beans, and like Robbie mentioned, use the gray matter as much as possible! All this helps you and also helps with the WAF! Basically do whatever you can confidently complete but willingly go to the pros for things other than your ability allows. To put the polish on, explain everything three times to her until she admits she does not want to hear it. Then, explain it again while you cuddle! :D These things should add up to high WAF and thus the permission to put 36" tires, an eight inch lift and full skids and sliders on her 100! ;) Yea Right. Actually, believe it or not, my wife is kicking my a** constantly about getting the Slee step sliders on yesterday ! We discussed all the options - regular running boards, the smittybuilt tube type steps, slee step sliders and slee tube sliders. Within minutes my wife was all about slee sliders! I lucked out huh? Anyway man, I think you did good work overall so here's a pat on the back to make up for the kicks in the a**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom