Emergency Heater Core bypass?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Need some quick advice... I've been noticing moisture on the ground underneath front passenger door when my 80 is parked exactly like occurs when parked after using the A/C except I haven't been using the A/C. Checking closer the moisture on the ground does smell like anti-freeze. There are NO coolant smells inside the cab regardless of the defrost, heater, A/C settings and the amount on the ground is relatively small. I suspect that my heater core is leaking. My cooling system is otherwise operating perfectly with no overheating etc. My problem is that I have to make a lengthy emergency trip tomorrow and do not want to risk the leak getting worse on the road so I'm thinking of bypassing the core altogether this afternoon.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I simply disconnect and plug the two supply & return hoses at the firewall and if so, Is there any associated risk of introducing air into the system and having to "burp" or purge this air out?

*edit* oops, upon closer inspection I see that I made a mistake in describing my proposed bypass... the supply line comes in at the 'pesky heater hose' area and the return comes out of the passenger side firewall. so if I were to disconnect & plug the supply right at the flow switch would I need to also disconnect and plug the return?

2. Is the rear passenger area heater separate and therefore usable if I disconnect at the firewall?

*edit* I see the two supplies and returns so I think I know the answer. I suspect that the top supply & return lines supply the front heat exchanger and the bottom supply & return lines support the rear heat exchanger (?)

Am I missing anything??

Thanks much!!!

Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom