Embarrassing Steering Rack clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I feel I am here to embarrass myself. I’ve had my 100 for some years now. It’s been great.

I am currently on my second steering rack in under 2 years. The last two(and current) have been remanufactured OEM racks. I have narrowed a clunking sound to the steering racks. Both racks have created the same sound. I saw from under the truck when it lurches forward/stops. It seems to be loose. The looseness must’ve led to the breaking of my first one. The bolts don’t seems to get tight enough.

Here’s my embarrassing question.
Do I need purchase the rack bushings separately? I’m starting to think it’s a part I’m missing entirely. I might be dumb enough to think they were included. (I didn’t install the racks).

Then do I need to uninstall the rack fully to install new bushings?
Thanks!

You can replace all bushing without removing rack.

I can not see this happening: "I saw from under the truck when it lurches forward/stops. " Rack is attached to frame. Stopping and starting should not move rack at all. Only turning and/or putting side pressure on tires moves rack side to side. Rack is designed to move side to side, a little, with resistance from bushings.

Racks, CVJ rebuilt or new OEM, come with new rubber bushing on driver side in 89-02. You should not have to replace these bushings. The rebuilt rubber bushing are softer, than bushings in OEM racks. You can go with poly bushing, which give a more solid feel with less wondering. IMHO ploy are hard on the system; They transfer more shock throughout the system, which is felt in hands. 1/2 dozen of one, 6 of the other!

You do need to purchase the passenger "horse shoe" side bushing separately for 98-02.

All the mounting bolts themselves are considered non-reusable by Toyota. Torque on these are 74ft-lbf on bolt of right (passenger) and nut of left (drivers). Torquing nuts is not practical with engine in, so kicking the left side torque up a little when torquing from bolt may help.

Outer TRE, steering column and intermediate shaft need to pass inspection also. They can transfer sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom