Electrical Help - Cdan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Just noticed last night finishing giving the beast a bath that when I open the PS rear door the overhead lights don't go on. They do on the other three doors and the rear hatch.

Could it be something as simple as a disconnected switch in the PS door? I know these types of electrical mysteries can be a SOB to isolate. Any advice on where I can start looking?

TIA

You be needin' a new courtisy switch in the door opening. I've replaced a couple in mine thru the years. Your 94 uses an 84231-12070 for the front doors and an 84231-12070 for the rear doors on vehicles produced thru 12-93 and 84231-32070 for 1-94 to 12-94 production. Both are the same price, they list for $15.38 each.

Dan.

To hell with Dan's dogs!

I pulled them apart on my Camry and cleaned them. Basically when the door opens a spring in the switch pushes 2 barbs into their sockets. Don't remember it being hard at all. To check the switch just pull it out and short across the contacts. If the light comes on that's your problem.

::) OK...........Clean away. That will work if the contacts are not too messed up.

Ok, it was near dark and I didn't look to see where this switch is. Probably real obvious when I look at the door??

Yup,

Rear of the sill on the body side. It is oval shaped and covered with a black rubber cap. Lift up the flap of the cap to expose the mounting bolt.

D- :banana:

Thanks Dan. Will take a look at it when I have time this weekend.

IIRC you'll need to pull the plastic panel to reach the connector. I didn't have any luck cleaning it up.

I pulled them apart on my Camry and cleaned them. Basically when the door opens a spring in the switch pushes 2 barbs into their sockets. Don't remember it being hard at all. To check the switch just pull it out and short across the contacts. If the light comes on that's your problem.
Not to take and sales from Cdan (ordered my 1st stuff from him today BTW ;))

When I bought the wifes 92 the only switch that worked was drivers door
I took the switches out :banana:job and cleaned the contacts then put some silicone grease on the contacts before putting them back in and have been working fine for 3+ years since.
The contacts were in great shape but just tarnished as the truck was a one person driver with a rare pass. in the front and never any in the back so the contacts never got cleaned by the closing of the switch from regular use of the doors.
What I find is " if its broke, take it apart 'cause it not going to get any worse " attude saves some money, some of the time, 8) and wastes some time, some of the time. :whoops: You at least learn how to put the new one in if needed without breaking it since you already did that with the old one :D

Well you know what they say, "use it or loose it".

There may be more to that than you think. The driver's door is opened always, the passenger front often, the driver rear often (in my case as I'm always tossing a coat or something on the rear seat) and the RH rear door is the least used. I have replaced that switch twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom