EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LC4LIFE

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hi Everyone,

I figured I would post up a small project I have been pulling together mainly to satisfy my curiosity about EGR bypass, testing, and making it look good. Many of us have experienced the P0401 code and normally it is an EGR related issue. As you will come to find out, especially after reading many threads on EGR disabling, you will need a 4.7k ohm resistor installed in place of the temp sensor at the intake manifold and then disable or block some vacuum lines. This method only applies to the 95-97 years, which is what I drive. I built his only for testing, not for disabling mandated emissions controls.

There are two difficult parts to this project. First, a replacement plug for the wiring harness and second, something to replace at the intake manifold. I solved the electrical plug part and found a nice allen screw to plug the intake. But all this is really only a resistor giving the ECM the value it wants in order to achieve readiness. Bear in mind, you have to have ECM readiness before you do this and if you disconnect your battery you will loose readiness and not get it back unless you do some other work.

These are the threads I used for research and confirmation others have a successfully disabled the EGR without throwing any codes.

Disable the EGR system the (mostly) Toyota way
EGR Readiness Achieved with EGR Removed!

As of now, I have been building these plugs with the resistor hidden in them and it works like a charm. I have about 4000 miles on my LC with no codes and a nice cool pipe near the wiring harness. Here are a couple of pics of the part that plugs into the harness in lieu of the temp sensor electrical plug.

tsplug-3.jpg

tsplug-4.jpg

tsplug.jpg

tsplug-2.jpg

Still working to find some sort of alternative to the temp sensor at the intake and when I figure that out, I will post up the completed temp sensor testing harness. I figure this solution, especially for those of us that are picky about how things look, might be nice to have during our testing and diagnosis of EGR related problems like the common P0401 codes.

I plan to build another 10 or so of the plugs over the next week or two so if you need one, PM me and we will work it out. $35 and you will get the test plug, vacuum line plugs, allen screw for the intake manifold and detailed instructions. You can buy them here - HuddExpo

Last edited:
And I just cut my egr sensor wiring 3 days ago in order to splice in a resistor.... ... where do I send the $$$

Built a handful more tonight and these are all spoken for. Thanks for all the interest. I will keep putting more together.

tsplug.jpg

Still got these??

Build up another batch. I am also putting together similar test plugs for 91-95. Those are about three weeks out, but let me know if you are interested.

This batch is only for 95-97.

unnamed.jpg

This batch for 95-97 is all done and most are spoken for. I have a handful left ready for immediate shipment so let me know if you want one. I am also now including a allen screw to fill the hole where the temp sensor threads into the intake manifold if you so choose to remove it.

mail-2.jpg
mail.jpg

Figured I would post up a couple photos of how mine looks after it running flawlessly for about a month now. Loosened the bolt for the plug and swung it down out of the way for a cleaner look, you can also see the plug David now provides for the intake. No codes and I can reach my hand underneath the EGR valve after spending a couple bucks on ball bearings to block/plug the vacuum lines. Thanks @LC4LIFE!

IMG_20180424_191054.jpg

IMG_20180424_191110.jpg

@NateMob Did you do any other than plug it in and go?
Do you have a CEL ?

I merely plugged it in then installed(stuffed) three ball bearings in the three hoses coming off the valve to block the gas/vacuum that circulates and it's been great ever since. Replaced the sensor in the intake a few days ago and after another couple hundred miles all is awesome in the Land Cruiser EGR world.

Do you have a CEL ?

Do you have a CEL ?
The plug I build gives the ECU the signal it needs to avoid a CEL by simulating the temp sensor. You have to block/plug the vacuum lines in order to prevent the vacuum from opening the EGR valve. Its a pretty simple installation, but there is more info in these threads if you want to get into the minutia of it.

Disable the EGR system the (mostly) Toyota way
EGR Readiness Achieved with EGR Removed!

Thanks for sharing.
I wondered if I would have to use 2 different resistors. Wired to switch from one to the other like I read about in tjat thread. Maybe that's just for CARB compliant California folk.

@LC4LIFE on my '94 what else would I need to do if I had one of your test plugs?

@LC4LIFE on my '94 what else would I need to do if I had one of your test plugs?

If you are OBDII, the plug (its different than the 95-97, but I am building some soon) and then cap off or plug the vacuum lines in and out of the EGR.

Last edited:
OBD1 on the '94''s. Looking forward to see how this progresses.

The last batch has sold out, but more parts have arrived and I am building another 20 for the 95-97 over the next few days. PM me if you are interested in getting in on this round. 94 OBDII should happen at the end of this week too. I am working on the OBD1 soon too.

IMG_3388.JPG

I now have the correct plugs to make these for 93-94 and will be building up some this weekend. 95-97 have been in use for some time and are working well.

plut.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom