EGR delete step by step (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone im new to the fzj80 world bought one over the summer for a camping rig and my winter tank to get to the hospital on the days I work. I know im going to make some of you mad by asking im looking to get rid of the egr system and was wondering if someone had good pictures and instructions for getting rid of it. I live in WI and there's no emission's testing. again sorry I know the topic has been brought up before and I have looked through the serch bar and its not clear just spaced out and with different models. I have a 1994 with the 4.5 and the obd1 reader. Thanks for any help and sorry if im beating a dead horse.

use the search box and check the faq, great source of info. if your looking to a full delete and get rid of everything your going to need block off plates for where the egr sits in the exhaust and intake. the really easy way is to unplug the egr modulator and short the harness side by using a paper clip in the connector and taping it all up. that will disable the egr valve and dosnt set a code, ive been running that for a few years

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the advantages of deleting the EGR system?

if the egr is malfunctioning it can cause poor engine performance, stumbling at idle if stuck open, check engine light and so on. deleting it will negate having to replace it, if its not there no need to worry about it. others feel that it is the leading cause of hg failure, theres plenty of reading on that if you search. I deleted it because it was intermittently getting stuck open and causing a very low idle when stopped. no egr no problem

The really hard part will be blocking off the port on the head behind the PHH. I dont think that it is accessible with the head still in the truck. That being, If you are wiling to leave that hard line in you can get everything else off pretty easy. It is easy to make a block off plate for the intake manifold. But the hard line is trick to "cap". It uses a flare fitting of some type.

When I based lined my '93 the egr system was completely blocked off with crud but ran great and threw no codes. When I took the intake off to clean everything the egr pipe was very easy to access so I just made a little block off plate coming off the head. Everything is still in place just as if it was stock. The only difference is that there is no hot gas running through it. I think with the obd 1 trucks you can get away with this, not so much the later models

I ripped it all out. I unbolted it from behind the phh and cut the pipe and welded up the hole it left in the flange and bolted it back on. I cut a scrap of aluminum and bolted it In place of where it attached to the intake and tossed all the other crap. I also tossed my charcoal canister and all the vsv connectors under the intake. Now it's actually comfortable to work on most things under the hood because of all the space.

Just plug the vacuum line to the EGR. Done in 30 seconds. Same as if you removed it and blocked off the port.

Which line do you block? Will it throw a CEL code?

The line between the EGR modulator and the EGR valve vacuum activator. It will cause the same CEL codes as removing or blocking off the EGR valve at 2% of the effort.

I just looped the vacuum lines on the throttle body and valves so that no air is being moved between anything, unplugged the connector and put a 4.7k resistor connecting the two leads that go back to the ecu, no codes. Leaving it on, off, or paper clip all gave me a code quick.

Look for ebag's "deleting the egr mostly the Toyota way" thread.

Just wondering, why bother with the delete, if you don't have emissions and the truck is running good why delete it. Just get used to the light on, if it's on. There is no performance increase if you delete it.

Just wondering, why bother with the delete, if you don't have emissions and the truck is running good why delete it. Just get used to the light on, if it's on. There is no performance increase if you delete it.

Sure there is, I'm putting about 300hp to the wheels and getting 30mpg on the highway!

But seriously, there is no performance that is felt, but if you have ever looked in the intake of any car where the EGR enters, it is nasty and many times clogged up. Knowing that junk isn't going in the intake makes me feel better, and so does getting rid of the light.

Just ignoring a CEL is a bad idea. If you do that and have another problem you will never know about it and something worse might happen.

For a 1993/4 OBD1 LC the paperclip method to stop the EGR light is easy and will still let the CEL work for other issues. It takes less than a minute to add the jumper and disable the EGR and is completely reversible, so why invite trouble by just ignoring the light?

Here is a link that might be useful: '94 Code 71, EGR Bypass and redneck technique..

Just plug the vacuum line to the EGR. Done in 30 seconds. Same as if you removed it and blocked off the port.

Resurrecting an old post here, but will this remove the EGR code? I need to do a fix on this before next week!

Resurrecting an old post here, but will this remove the EGR code? I need to do a fix on this before next week!

On OBD2 we unplug the thermistor and replace with a 4.7k ohm resistor.

Got any pics of that mod at the location? That would be a huge help, I’m going to do that By this weekend…

Thanks!

Passed emissions today with merely plugging the EGR vacuum lines. Not sure if the CEL will remain off, but I achieved the goal: Renewed Tags.

LOL

Thanks, mud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom