edit: This Is NOT normal!? Front diff issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK Kids!

Your attention please!

This is why you don't pull anything in REVERSE!

Sorry for your loss!
Somebody should pin a PSA thread in this forum with a list of things that WILL break your truck, kind of like the FAQ.

I mean, I've been internet wheeling for like 8 years and never come across this failure mode.

THAR SHE BE!!!!

looks like the Ring and the Pinion are junked. Shipping out monday. Big thanks to @beno for fitting in my parts order for all of the unmentionables to rebuild this hoor.

lSPgJy5CxytgEM2-9QW40_pzu9RnLYeKcIn3bFmypTGXhmts6VI0L0KaoVONJpBL1gy1PbooPCgaLo3AeSlFyxhNy4xz5YkTi1X1TxhXmbRzI8dlzJMcI9pcvdfYjKOq3f9iFlRwv-RUtpvMZmiaJyy_LskBCKQb6Q12F0D9-yA7cyAbfBDwAAMbnNxS3T-yySQGM3QL54f0BPVNL39aq8v5IOctDz9QJ4qqHeKzVuY2-W2LDOp_dUyO7MbrrwoA1XoRvJ8iLpiG4Pu3CttDDTwyvoVSPeUGU3UCYvRFxQ55UYy5hTcLMs1RdwGVlwIC3_51SVsTUQP2PwDkiNqDZy3xhxJ6mO2a5cey8cnBKDqjqbiDCgcOlnexU11eVKaX4lrC6uQYqr6vPoaQNs-6cWdv3X2SuOe9LKiX4En0E0larwSRzogema6Cv7MdiM-gpaIHlzPLQvm37szoZ6ttbpRLP0yVfnIWwUA6G9jvbgLR8behXMfAUtKX3ET_fsZvacFyMcUPzgN24pEcIPR9tCp_DgbavKBiHRtDcvNjcnlOXNSwnSjHbAiEd81GoDGP5T193euAaDyZo3BoorMXuDHihxNB6I_G5WPk-c-Ewg=w1379-h1034-no
[/QUOTE]
Carnage! ^^^^^^^ looks like to many dry hops with slicks. (Some will understand...)

Well, I got her all put back together and all of the mechanicals work good. @gearinstalls.com did a great job setting up the diff and talking me out of doing something stupid out of cheapness. Thanks to @beno for all of the axle guts. First time I've done something like this and I didn't even cry when I broke that circlip and had to wait 2 days to get some from the dealership (even though I wanted to).

I put sufficient torque on this thing to break the case halves, shear a bolt, and cause some plastic deformation to the other fasteners:

upload_2017-10-25_11-30-9.png

upload_2017-10-25_11-31-10.png

so that got replaced with new:

upload_2017-10-25_11-32-17.png

and arrived safe and sound

upload_2017-10-25_11-35-8.png

I bench tested the elocker once all reassembled. I had to repeat this method to unlock once installed since I still have an electrical gremlin. At least the motors are good.

I used this post for the pinout
That dreaded disassembly of the locker...

and of course, video evidence.

Wait, that was the carrier damage you found when you pulled it apart? Holy crap, that's intense.

Wait, that was the carrier damage you found when you pulled it apart? Holy crap, that's intense.
Yeah. Ken was pretty surprised at the type and extent of damage I think. Just one of the hazards of running the beastly 1HD-T, all those torques running around!

Sounds like time for a hamon

Sounds like time for a hamon
#1 pro-tip:
Get a box of 7mil nitrile gloves and a ton of rags before the system breach.

#1a
Get your circlips and diff flange gaskets before it is apart.

make sure you wash out the axle casing good, there are bound to be some metal gremlins sloshed up in the corners from the debris.

Hi slceso-
The write-up is done. How does it look? I will post it shortly. How did it go with putting the front 3rd back in?
ZUK
HDJ81 gear install

ZUK, I have no idea what any of that in the pictures means but it is cool as sh!t and crazy impressive, as always. I hope I never need your services but if I do I know it will be done right.

Hi slceso-
The write-up is done. How does it look? I will post it shortly. How did it go with putting the front 3rd back in?
ZUK
HDJ81 gear install
Ha! That's about the size of it. I thought I had typed it all out, but the teardown and reassembly was fairly uneventful. It did take some time since I had never done it before and used the Camo method to get the axles out. I totally disassembled, cleaned and regreased everything. I put one of the birfield stars in backwards and had to disassemble it again. The second time the circlip didn't survive the process, so I had to wait to get another from the dealership (that was the biggest disappointment in the process, $20 for 3 circlips). Oh yeah, and I lost the splined key for my security lug nuts (pretty sure I left it on after the axle pull and slung it off on the way to work), so I had to hillbilly a way around that with some pieces of wire, nails, and an impact socket.

I am still cleaning up moly and bearing grease in my garage weeks later, but I wouldn't be afraid to do it again. I ended up cleaning and repacking all of the wheel and trunion bearings. I was concerned about tearing something up getting the old races out, and all of the original stuff seemed in good working order.

While I was in there I considered upgrading to late model brakes, but for that I need R16 or larger wheels, and to upgrade the master cylinder, etc etc.

So it's been several weeks and everything is still working as good or better than before all of this mess. Even did a shakedown run up near Blowing Rock. I have yet to resolve the elocker control issue, but I can live without that for a bit.

Zuk did an awesome job on this thing and didn't let me cheap out like I was thinking about on the busted carrier assembly. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need. You could try to DIY it, but the time and cost of getting the right tools and the potential to wreck your toothy bits makes his services very reasonable.

Cheers and thanks for all if the help folks!

Oh, and I did find the missing teeth and that one wayward bolt head!

Ha! That's about the size of it. I thought I had typed it all out, but the teardown and reassembly was fairly uneventful. It did take some time since I had never done it before and used the Camo method to get the axles out. I totally disassembled, cleaned and regreased everything. I put one of the birfield stars in backwards and had to disassemble it again. The second time the circlip didn't survive the process, so I had to wait to get another from the dealership (that was the biggest disappointment in the process, $20 for 3 circlips). Oh yeah, and I lost the splined key for my security lug nuts (pretty sure I left it on after the axle pull and slung it off on the way to work), so I had to hillbilly a way around that with some pieces of wire, nails, and an impact socket.

I am still cleaning up moly and bearing grease in my garage weeks later, but I wouldn't be afraid to do it again. I ended up cleaning and repacking all of the wheel and trunion bearings. I was concerned about tearing something up getting the old races out, and all of the original stuff seemed in good working order.

While I was in there I considered upgrading to late model brakes, but for that I need R16 or larger wheels, and to upgrade the master cylinder, etc etc.

So it's been several weeks and everything is still working as good or better than before all of this mess. Even did a shakedown run up near Blowing Rock. I have yet to resolve the elocker control issue, but I can live without that for a bit.

Zuk did an awesome job on this thing and didn't let me cheap out like I was thinking about on the busted carrier assembly. I highly recommend him if you find yourself in need. You could try to DIY it, but the time and cost of getting the right tools and the potential to wreck your toothy bits makes his services very reasonable.

Cheers and thanks for all if the help folks!

Oh, and I did find the missing teeth and that one wayward bolt head!

Glad to hear that it finally went together well, slceso. Yours is full time 4wd so the usual break-in of about 1000 miles and change it still applies to the front end. ZUK

Another Samhain fan I see!:skull:

Hi slceso-
ZUK
HDJ81 gear install

That's very impressive work as usual Ken!

Folks, take a look at those pics and the documentation. That's why I will be going to Zuk if I ever need my diffs rebuilt on my LC.

When I look at the failure here, I don;t think that was an all-at once failure. That was a problem waiting to happen. I actually think he was fortunate that it happened on his front lawn rather than at 70 on the freeway. That many bolt heads loose on both the case halves and the ring indicate a larger issue. There had to be a failure of QC somewhere on that unit.

Zuk, I like the engraving on the gears to show what you did, the order number and when. That's VERY important for track issues and to determine causes for future failures.

This is why I will pay to have mine done. I own all the tools seen in those pics, but I don't have the bench setup a with everything set up to do exactly this over and over. It's not worth my time to trial-and-error my own setup. I've done a few in my past on other makes and once you've done it and know how much of a pain it is you will REALLY be able to appreciate what he is doing.

Nice job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom