Easy trails to introduce the wife to off-roading? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife isn't real interested in off-roading so I'm trying to introduce her to it slowly. I thought I'd start with some easy trails that aren't to far out of town. I saw Rolls OHV mentioned somewhere. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if these qualify as trails, but I've taken the family -- wife, two boys and two dogs -- through Castle Hot Springs loop on the west side, Montana Mountain Loop on the east side, and the Four Peaks road over the saddle from west to east with no problems. They think those are "trails." They haven't yet gone with me to Moab or to Ouray.

Rolls have allot of go fast quads, etc.

Agree with Todd on those choices. I like the 4 peaks road to the top because you'll be up in the pines, cool air, and great views. There is a trail head parking lot with a trail that is nice to even hike in to the Ridgeline in about half a mile with more great views.

One of my favorites is the Apache Trail. Yes, a car can do it but it's scenic, not too far away and can always circle back via 4 Peaks to make a loop. Stop by Tortilla Flats for some Cackleberries Mexicana!

If you want something with big views and cool for this time of year hit FR 300 just north of Strawberry comes out on hwy 87 next to a cowboy steakhouse to close off the day.

Google Maps

If you want something with big views and cool for this time of year hit FR 300 just north of Strawberry comes out on hwy 87 next to a cowboy steakhouse to close off the day.

Google Maps

We the maples a few of the side roads off the 300 road has some great fall colors and temperatures. One of the few dirt roads my wife will go along with me. Two years ago after my wife retired had wrist surgery and couldn't drive. Last year my wife had health issues and spend the fall and winter in the valley. Hoping this is the year I can check the colors out every couple of days.

Seven Springs through Bloody Basin, great fall drive for a tame dirt road trip. Excellent views and nice desert landscape
Hey do you have a Google Map Route for this Seven Springs route like Phil put up for FR300 the Rim Road?

Google Maps
thanks for the map link Phil that's really helpful.

If your wife considers a dirt road, off roading, (which is the drift I'm getting) then I agree with a couple mentioned and that's probably the best toe in the water approach. FR 300 is doable by a car, with great views that are sure to hook. Mt Ord service road is doable by a car and has remarkable views and a touch of a "narrow" road for a noobie and a nice hike at the top if desired. The Apache trail is doable by a car and is just a must at some point if you live here, at least fish creek hill and hike to the cave or down to the creek.

Horseshoe Lake is also do-able by car. 4peaks as well but it's a zoo, I avoid that whole area. Backway to Mt. Lemmon would be nice for a future option once the hook is set, as it's just longish.

Maybe if it's "car-able," then that is a good, easy, simple introduction to "off roading" if I'm understanding what you're aiming for.

hey Murf do you have a Google maps route for the Montana Mountain loop that we took on the Relic Run last March?

Google Maps

here you go: just pulled it off Google. Take the Queen valley turn off on 357 (the first one coming west to east). The only tricky part is making the "t" left at the wash where there is an obvious opening in the gate along the fence lone on the left. cant really miss it. then just follow the most traveled road and it will loop you all the way around.

Certainly not a challenging road but more than the 300 road. There are a few challenging roads in the area of the 300 road. They require a chainsaw and wood permit. Chainsaw because of trees across the road and permit because the roads are closed. It's legal to go off road to recover firewood.;)

Google Maps

here you go: just pulled it off Google. Take the Queen valley turn off on 357 (the first one coming west to east). The only tricky part is making the "t" left at the wash where there is an obvious opening in the gate along the fence lone on the left. cant really miss it. then just follow the most traveled road and it will loop you all the way around.
so just follow it northeast after the T junction all the way up to the Rogers Trough Trailhead, then turn south and go over the mountain and back to the highway right? Do you come out at the Arboretum or closer to Superior over to the east?

so just follow it northeast after the T junction all the way up to the Rogers Trough Trailhead, then turn south and go over the mountain and back to the highway right? Do you come out at the Arboretum or closer to Superior over to the east?

You come out at the Arboretum and an excellent place to visit if you have not.
If this is your wifes first off road trip personally I would not do Montana Mountain due to the switchbacks with needed 3 point turns and the steep decent. It not difficult but its her 1st time and you dont want to start off where she is uncomfortable. Start easy and work your way up to the sketchy stuff as you will have plenty of time going forward. Also going forward get yourself a level gauge. My wife as many does not like off camber stuff but if she has a reference it will make technical stuff easy on you having her not screaming "be careful I dont like this". My wife has logged 1000's of off road miles and now when off camber, her being the low side she will ask what does the gauge say knowing not to be seriously concerned or scared until we get close to 30°+.

Thanks everyone! Great options! As @blatant astutely figured out, off-roading to her is a dirt road. What can I say? She's a city girl.

I want to show her the natural beauty that we are lucky enough to be surrounded by. I think once I get her hooked on that, she'll be more open to the more "adventurous" routes to see the more secluded areas.

After rereading this, I sound like a drug dealer trying to get someone "hooked".

Thanks everyone! Great options! As @blatant astutely figured out, off-roading to her is a dirt road. What can I say? She's a city girl.

I want to show her the natural beauty that we are lucky enough to be surrounded by. I think once I get her hooked on that, she'll be more open to the more "adventurous" routes to see the more secluded areas.

After rereading this, I sound like a drug dealer trying to get someone "hooked".

Given your post a $12 expense (linked below) will be golden for a city girl.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tex-Sport-Toilet-Portable/44192063

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom