Easy trails to introduce the wife to off-roading? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So questions on Schnebly Hill Road...

Stock friendly/Michelin LTX friendly?
Would I need to air down?
If I trust my rig to start every time, is this a safe run to do alone/with my family in the truck?

Top half is actually nice, (north entrance) smooth and fair dispersed camping. Lower section, (after pull out/view) is extra, miserably rocky and never to be done but once, aired down or otherwise.

Whole thing is stock safe, aired down or not. You'll see all sorts of vehicles on your travels, for better or worse. You'll also see some remarkably indigenous landscapes, like no where else!

So questions on Schnebly Hill Road...

Stock friendly/Michelin LTX friendly?
Would I need to air down?
If I trust my rig to start every time, is this a safe run to do alone/with my family in the truck?
My wife & I saw a Cadillac convertible go down Schnebly Hill - he seemed to do ok.

My wife & I saw a Cadillac convertible go down Schnebly Hill - he seemed to do ok.
What a sight! My father-in-law got about 15 yards up with an Audi suv and reversed out. That moment had in part inspiration for my purchase of the 100 .

is this the route?

Google Maps

yup, that's it

however, if there's suspicion of rain/major precipitation, check for the water level in the Agua Fria River on the USGS water resources website - this water level gauge is upstream from where you would be crossing: USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512500 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR MAYER, AZ, and this gauge is downstream from the Bloody Basin Road crossing: USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09512800 AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ

and if you go FR24 (Seven Springs Road), don't forget to turn off to climb up all the way up Humboldt Mountain for a spectacular 360 degrees view: Humboldt Mountain hike: Huge views, lots of uphill - no hiking required

Last edited:
I agree that Schnebly Hill Road down from the north would be more palatable to a newbie - plus, the relief of having it made down fine could be celebrated in Sedona :cheers:

Fwiw, I drove Schnebly Hill Rd from Sedona up this weekend. Gone are the days when I would commute home this way . It is super rough. Still great scenery, but a kidney pounder. Air down for sure, and suggest your wife wears a sports bra for extra support. Stockers can make it, but they'll get worked!

and unless you are wearing a bra yourself, it would be most appropriate to refrain from commenting on the contraption :mad:

and unless you are wearing a bra yourself, it would be most appropriate to refrain from commenting on the contraption :mad:
Certainly true! My copilot this weekend (on one of her first dirt road forays) stated that she needed one, as she tucked into a ball in the passenger seat.

Fwiw, I drove Schnebly Hill Rd from Sedona up this weekend. Gone are the days when I would commute home this way . It is super rough. Still great scenery, but a kidney pounder. Air down for sure, and suggest your wife wears a sports bra for extra support. Stockers can make it, but they'll get worked!

Wonder if the car rental companies had a hand in letting Schnebly Hill Rd from being better maintained? Been years since I've been on it but back then was common to see small rental cars on the trail.

Wonder if the car rental companies had a hand in letting Schnebly Hill Rd from being better maintained? Been years since I've been on it but back then was common to see small rental cars on the trail.

I have found all rental cars are outfitted with offroad suspension given them the capabilities to travel at high speed on forest service roads and the likes.

I have found all rental cars are outfitted with offroad suspension given them the capabilities to travel at high speed on forest service roads and the likes.

That's good to know. Next time I'm in the market for a off road vehicle I'll pick one up being sold by one of the rental companies. Save a ton a money on one already upgraded with a off road suspension.:rolleyes:

/this\

Found the pictures of the convertible. This was July 29, 2012.

The view from the top:
IMG_1926-small.jpg

The road down
IMG_1930-small.jpg

The crazy in the convertible
IMG_1930Zoomed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom